1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars: Attack of The Clones Review

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by Desticado, May 15, 2002.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well for those that might be interested im off to see this movie in just under three hours and shall post a (short) review when I get in.

Regards

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Dont want to hijack your review but just got back from the cinema and have to say, George, all is forgiven. This film was an awesome piece of work. Special effects were perfect, story was a bit bogged down by the political plot once again, the love theme kicked in a bit early but over all this film is what Star Wars fans have been dreaming about for twenty years.

Desticado its back to you.:D

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Just got in and ........ loved EVERY minute of it

I PROMISE NO STORY IS GIVEN AWAY HERE, NO NAMES, NO PLOT NO GIVEAWAYS

Better than Episode I ? You betch !

Better than the original trilogy ? MMMmmmm guess not now im 26 with all those fond memories, but if I was that magic age I was all those years ago I would have to say yes.

The film has some truly quality moments, its everything a Star Wars film should be and a little more.

Yes it has its silly moments, yes it may drag in a few ( tiny ) places and yes it all does seem a little neat and convieniant, but thinking back, with my grown up head on, these points could be said about IV, V and VI and I loved them too.

GO SEE IT, its great fun.

Lucas has managed to make a rather clever film, everybody seemed to think they knew what was going to happen, but after watching Ep. II, although we know where the story goes, how it gets there is now harder to see and going to be more fun to find out. What seemed so simple now has more twists, what seemed far off seems so close and things you thought you may wait years for may have already happened.

Lucas has loads of room now for a great Ep. III, his timeline can be adjusted, his story tweaked. Ep. II is a great part of the Star Wars universe with plenty of suprises and loads more questions.

Its kinda like a great Episode of the X-Files, you know whats coming, you smile at the answers you get, yet walk away knowing less than when you sat down.

Have you go the hint I like it yet ? and im a REAL Star Wars fan, got all the toys, all the gear, even got it on every VHS release it ever had ( including the big metal tin thing ) and not forgetting NTSC Laserdisc with 5.1 sound.

The final 15 or so minutes have to be seen to be believed and will probably go down in movie history in years to come

Great film, highly reccomended !

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You may actually have convinced me, a non-SW fan, to go and see this movie. :)

So, High Crimes with gorgeous Ashley Judd or Episode II this weekend then? :confused: ;)

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Didnt get a chance to post last night when i got in so thought i'd post now.

-----------------------
    The guy dressed in a replica storm trooper outfit outside the cinema served to remind everyone (as if we needed reminding) just what we were all there for. Many of the crowd were clutching their Ewok Teddy bears & lightsabres along with the compulsory king size coke & popcorn.

Expectations for this movie were high but the way the crowd cheered and applauded when the BBFC screen appeared, the Credits started and again when the score kicked in meant this crowd was never going to be dissapointed. As long as it was a Star Wars movie they were always going to be pleased.

The cheering subsided the movie started. We know the characters, we know the plot and so the movie got us straight into the new installment and here was where the problem started for me. Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe its because im so much older now (30) then when i first sat in the cinema watching the trilogy but this movie was made to a recipe.

It looks like Star Wars, It says its Star Wars it is Star Wars and if anything perhaps it is (dare I say it) "too much Star Wars". This has now bemome a Film Series in the same way as Buffy & X Files are a TV Series, each with their own independant look and feel. Remember watching the first few episode of your faveourite TV show? It no doubt set you alight by strikeing a chord with some story or genre that you loved to imagine, you enjoyed ever episode but after a while even though you enjoy the show the plots / content can never match up to the orginals.

We know the characters well, so we know how they're going to act & react to situations in the movie. We even know were they've come from (EP I) and perhaps worse we know exactly the outcome (EP IV, V, VI) so there is not a whole lot they can do that we didnt expect from the moment we sat down.

For those of use that love this series though Episode II documents many of the moments that we have often imagined. Annakin & Amadala falling in love, Annakin being lured by the dark side & C3PO/R2D2 getting together. There were plenty of moments to make us laugh, many moments to make us smile and some to make us Cheer out loud, particually the Yoda Lightsaber duel for which this movie is worth seeing alone.

CGI in this movie is EVERYWHERE, Lucas must have decided that the only 'real' element in it were to be the actors and even then too many of them come across as wooden and dull. Why use CGI waves on the water planet? Why the CGi sunset? Every backdrop and panorama is in CGI which means that we never get any mid range transitions. Every scene is set up the the two second long 'lens' shot and then a close up or 'head to toe' shot of the principals. Seldom any variety and never any long takes (maybe 10-15s is the longest take in this movie).

The end battle scene is in no doubt the highlight of the movie as we are indulged to a 20 minute deluge of CGI effects & Cinema sound spectacular but its portrayal again is poor. Its a battle, they tend to be confusing but the only way we know who is winning or losing is by the intimitant dialog where characters kindly announce "we're losing" "we're winning" "we're losing" "we're retreating" "we're attacking" without which the flurry of 'blipvert' style editing makes it impossible to follow the action. I know it dificult to do but I also know it can be done after having sat rivited for 60 mins watching one long firefight in Black Hawk Down.

The crowd cheers the victory (after all EVERY episode finishes with a victory right?) The virtual stage is set for the 'fanfare' scene (after all EVERY episdoe finishes with the fanfare scene) and we all reluctantly listen to the first bars of the Williams score that hails the forthcoming end credits.

In brief this movie is like eating your favourite cookie to which you're addicted. You buy them as soon as you see them in the store, You know exactly what you're getting when you open the packet, you recognize the smell, and you can taste it before you take a bite.

What you never get, though, are any surprises, after all you've had so many before you'll eat it up with relish, and never stop to savour it or think about how many Artificial ingrediants you've just swallowed or that fact that it has NO nutritional benefits.

You enjoy the moment, but it never leaves you satisfied but always leaves you wanting more.

----------------------

Well thats it.
    Hope you enjoyed my review.

Finally....

There was one scene in the middle of the movie where I thought they'd mixed reals as Julie Andrews came running up the hill in "the sound of music". Luckily it was amadala and she didnt sing, but it had me for a moment :D :D :D

6. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didnt understand your comment about "Lucas can adjust his timeline now". iVE SEEN THE FILM BUT DONT SEE WHAT YOU'RE REFERRING TO...

:)

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What? I thought there were plenty of surprises. Had you read the script beforehand or something?

I loved this film so much I went straight back in to see it again when it had finished.:)

8. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    never read the script. I just used my brain (did take much)

Heres what we now at the start of the movie.

1. the President is evil and will become emperor
    2. Anakin must be tempted by the dark side
    3. Anakin & Padme must fall in love.
    4. The President has to neutralise the trade guild and any other force that would oppose him before he can appoint himself emporer.
    5. Large numbers of clones must be created. (otherwise its a bit hard to have a clone war....)
    6. The path for the destruction of the Jedi order has to be laid.

So there you have it really.

No spoilers. If you've seen all four films so far then you know what must happen in Episode II.

What shall be even more dissapointing is that Episode III doesnt have much room for maneuver in what it contains.

I. Final distruction / absorbtion of the trade guild.
    II. Creation of a larger permanent army for the empire.
    III. Annakin Abandoning/leaving Amadala before she secretly has two children.
    IV. Children Luke and Leia are placed with foster parents on different planets.
    V. Anakin and Kenobi fight and Anakin ends up in a lava pit (or similar if Lucas sticks to canon-law)
    VI. Anakin become apprentice to Palpatine.
    VII. Palpatine builds, buys, steals a HUGE spaceship and calls it a deathstar

Did I miss anything?

Apart from LOTS of CGI

Regards

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agree with you that all the points you outline above must happen and that we already know this. But, it's how these plot points happen that provide the surprises and there were many surprises in Episode II. I won't list them but I'm sure you know what they are.

10. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    oooh, I missed one.

Amadala has to die (most likely) if not why else would a mother abandon her children. Leia apparently remembers her mother but this could just have been her foster mother.

As for the BIG surprises. Im still a little bemused as to what they were? A couple of eyebrow raising realisation but that was it really. Obvioulsly dont post them if they contain spoilers but there was nothing I recall being noteworthy....

"No... Im your father....."

"Force is strong in my family.... my sister has it...."

Vader throws Emperor down big funnel...

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Desticado, I think you must of watched the trailers too many times.
    If people can read Lord of the Rings and then go and watch the movie and still come out saying Wow! I think you could be less critical and cut old George some slack. Attack of the Clones for me is what going to the Cinema is all about. The Picture Quality for once was the best I have ever seen, Digital Cameras are as good as film in my book. The sound was good but never seemed to hit any real bass notes that made me notice. The only other dissapointment was the fact there was no gore. When Anakins Mother died and he came out of that tent filled with hate I wanted to see him kick Tuskin ASS, but all we got was an abrupt cut to the next scene. But over all an excellent Movie which in my opinion can stand proud against the originals.

12. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    One other thing the kids of today probably never seen the originals so it will be interesting for them to watch part three and suddenly realise they dont have to wait 6 years for the next three to be made. I think only they will be the true judges off which is best. For us weve got four years untill episode seven comes out if George has the story ready. Or will we have to wait another twenty years between trilogies?

13. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just seen it .Unfortunately after reading the book,the film was rather dissapointing.

14. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Only trailer I saw was when I went to see 'Lord of the Rings' (which I thought was excellent)

15. stalefish

stalefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The films are PREquels!

think about it!

16. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah?

And ATOTC is a sequel to a prequel, probably the only movie ever of that nature. So where in most cases the plot is a mojor part of any movie, Lucas is increasingly trapped by the nature of what he has created as the plot becomes increasingly transparent (until VII, VIII, IX) Lucas has to increasingly use effects and annecdotal material to flesh out the movies.

I enjoyed ATOTC, just dont try and tell me its a great movie in its own right. It works because its part of a larger story that we all (or most of us) enjoy. But as a cinema release on its own I dont see it adding much.

Regards

17. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Desticado,

Totally agree with you. Half way through the film I felt like I as mid-sunday-afternoon through a weeks long eastenders re-run. Just waiting for bits to happen.
    Not george's fault, but a symptom of being in the middle of a series of films.

I also found some of the CGI work prohibitive to the way he directed, I also got fed up with

poor acting - If i was obi won I would have shaved off my beard and slapped anakin plenty if times.

poor scriptwriting - blimey, what were they trying to say to each other. I kept waiting for padme to say to anakin - "sorry, mate, I drifted off there what where you saying?"

uninspired directing -(flame-retardent suit on) - too many times were lines chucked in to excuse questionable plot holes or cover-up tricky editing problems, etc. (you're right about the battle not actually seeming like a battle).

so I left feeling - enjoyable, but not epic, like the first four.

18. Peter J Roberts

Peter J Roberts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loved AOTC but I must say when all six are finished its going to look REALLY odd. All those CGI effects of Eps I,II and III and then the now old look of Eps IV,V and VI.
    I think he's going to have to bite the bullet and remake most of them just cut out all the actors and place them on new GGI backgounds. Ho yes and replace Mark Hamill. PLEASE

19. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    george is still reimaging a lot the original trilogy. expect the special edition dvd's to look nothing like the special editions from a few years back (thank god)

20. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw it today at my local cinema at bristol, in dolby ex and digital projection.

picture and sound were excellent, defantly the best picture ive ever seen in a cinema.

the film was excellent the best star wars film out off all them ever so far.

but i do think george lucas has got a big job on his hands, with the third one all the plot he has to put in it, it will be a long film.

21. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Care to explain why?

22. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know they say love at first sight, but come on:rolleyes: Why would a boy of about seven, think about a girl day and night for the next 10 years :confused: And as for the big yoda battle, what big yoda battle:confused: Obi one's beard could have done with a bit of cgi.

23. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Why would a boy who built C3P0 be interested is girls full stop. It would of made more sence if Julian Clarie or Graham Norton played Anikin Skywalker.

24. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to say I wasn't impressed one bit. I saw it at the Odeon in Leicester Square on ditital Projection so he sound and piture qualty were superb, but the film......

The guy who plays Aniken is so wooden you could make a bench out of him,

Natalie Portman is stunning looking but her role as a senator needed to be played up, not just a love attraction for the woodentop.

Obi-Wan's beard.... Give this man a razor, he looked like he had been abandonoed on a desert island for 12 months.

Also the plot holes. In Ep4 when the droids land on Tatooine C3P0 moans about not liking the look of tyhis place. IT WAS WHERE HE WAS MADE AND SPENT 10 YEARS.

Aniken went to the place where Ep4 starts and luke is living with his aunt & uncle but Vader in Ep4 has no idea where to start looking. HE HAS BEEN THERE !!!!!!.

So many other things. He is gonig to have to totally remake SW, TESB and ROTJ to make then fit in with this lot.

On the plus side I thought Samuel L Jackson was good and Yoda was quite amusing in places.

Apart from that wasnt too keen on it. If '7 of 9' thinks this is the best star wars film ever then he really should watch Empire a few more times.

25. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    This C3PO thing is one of the biggest thorns in Georges side but can easily be put right in Episode III if C3PO has his memory erased. Its just a shame we cant do the same with Episode I.

26. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Saw it on Sunday, and I pretty much agree with Bonesy. I don't know why Amidala fell in love with Mr Whiney/I'm Such A Kick-Ass Jedi. Then again: women, huh :rolleyes:.

V, IV, VI, II, I - IMO.

Cheers,
    Liam

27. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I always thought that because he has a bit of the dark side in him already he uses the force so she will like him more than she other wise would.

28. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sign of it used on her in the film:confused: Mind you, what girl doesen't love wood, And he's as wooden as they come:rolleyes:

29. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got round to seeing AOTC last night and overall I was not too impressed.

The last 40 minutes where superb and was a joy to watch, going to be great on DVD, but the rest of the film was fairly lame.

The script was awful, the acting terrible and the directing was practically non-existent. I think the problem GL has got, apart from he can not write a decent script and is not that good a director, is there have been a number of films (The Matrix, LOTR) that have got the incredible CGI effects but are also good films and so the public want a bit more than the latest special effects.

I am a big Star Wars fan and I love the first three films, especially Empire, but AOTC just did not feel right there is definitely something missing. Oh well he has got one film left lets hope he does not balls that one up.