1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars ATOC on DLP Cinema

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by ROne, May 27, 2002.

1. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I thought I would make the effort to go up to Manchester and see EP II on the DLP cinema, as I had not witnessed watching a film shot on HD-CAM projected digitally - complete absence of film.

I had watched ATOC previously on an earlier showing at a regular cinema to compare.

I think more people should make the effort and discuss this related aspect of cinema to see where everything is going - it also heralds comparisons of your home cinema and maybe puts things into perspective a little bit.

I'm not really up on the projection technology in the digital cinema but I believe its a 3-Chip DLP (Possibly BARCO or PANASONIC) not sure. The resolution is debatable as well, I believe it to be 1280x1024). Although the original HD-CAM source is 1920 x 1080, because of the 2.35:1 aspect was matted inside this to give a final resolution of 1920 x 820 (Not startlingly high). I suppose in the future they may develop anamorphic lens to make use of the full resolution like we do with our DVD'S and the 35mm format.

I spent half the movie analysing the film (video !) rather than watching it - so I could soke up the experience. What blew me away from the outset though was the clarity, smoothness and lack of jitter - it was unerving to see such steady images, a completely different feel to film based projection.

The first bad thing I saw was jaggies on high contrast areas - obviously to blow this sort of resolution up to a 40ft screen something's going to give, and on transitions between bright and dark areas you would sometimes see jaggies - especially on subtitles. But I believe this could be improved with higher resolution projectors.

The colours were fanatasic - very bold and well defined, some of the feeling of depth to the planets and surfaces was so much more convincing than film.

Lack of grain - kind of like lack of pops and crackles on records, like removing a sheet of dirt from in front of your eyes to reveal smooth textures.

Black level and shadow detail were a little dissapointing - arguabley worse than the film version. Considering all the fuss people have made about black level on DLPs (especially considering I am an LCD owner) I don't feel so short changed any more. This area could do with some work.

Overall a really interesting experience.

Oh and no rainbow effects

2. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    To the best of my - admittedly limited - knowledge, the rainbowing on DLP pjs is due to the rotating RGB wheel in the single chip machines - therefore a 3 chip machine should not display this artefact.

I too made the effort to watch the digitally displayed version, and all I can say is WOW. Apart from the problem with text it was a truely engrossing experience - like wiping a layer of dirt from the windows and seeing a sparling clean contrasty image. This is undoubtedly the future of cinema projection IMHO

3. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, you mean like this thread ???

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36998

:D

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    not really much discussion about the picture quality though is there?

I would have hoped there were more comments along the lines of spectres'.

5. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    my mate worked on AOTC, on the special effects.

He rang me last night and mentioned he is going to see it again in a DLP cinema in San Fran. I'll ask him his thoughts and post back.

He has previously seen it in Lucas on skywalker ranch completely utterely digital cinema (which is apparently the most immense place), and a normal cinema. He's hot on this kind of thing, so I'll see what his comments are.

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I saw it this afternoon at the Odeon, Leicester Square in London. I also noticed the marked cleanliness and stability of the image, though I did fancy I could see a slight flicker on large bright expanses. The overall sharpness wasn't as extreme or as harsh as I was expecting.

It might have been the angle I was at, but the projected image looked a shade wonky horizontally: the opening title certainly didn't look parallel to the top and bottom of the screen.

Overall, not as big a difference from a good-quality film print as I thought it would be, though presumably the digital recording isn't subject to the same sort of wear and tear and will still look as good when the run ends.

The excellent picture quality did have the unfortunate effect of making the endless CGI work look even more cartoony and unreal than usual, which didn't help with the suspension of disbelief; and this movie needs all the help it can get in that department.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk