Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Star Wars 4, 5 & 6 DVDs

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by Apocalypse, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't follow DVD releases and announcements closely so if this has been posted many times before I apologize but I had no idea these were coming to DVD with full DTS/DD soundtracks.

[Link to pirate site deleted by Mod]

2. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hmmm dodgy comes to mind, "all of our DVD titles will come in a specially designed light-weight DVD sleeve pack."

Also thats the entire trilogy for $33, sounds rather too good to be true.....

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,979
    These are pirates, no release has been announced.

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They charge $9.99 to get it over to us though...

Also, I believe these have been copied off the laserdisc editions and as such don't enjoy the best of picture or sound quality.

I'm waiting for the official release. I've waited this long, another year or two dosn't make much difference :rolleyes: ;)

Regards,
    Iain.

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    No idea how they can come with a DTS soundtrack, on laserdisc they were dolby digital 5.1 only.

But yes, they are definately mastered from the laserdiscs and not worth the money.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Make that a year from now.

Althoug honly at rumour stage (again!), it's looking very likely they'll be released Q4 2004.

7. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I read about the Q4 2004 aswell...

It would certainly be nice if it came about but after all the rumours I've heard over the years about these films, I wont be holding my breath for them.

Regards,
    Iain.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I personally don't believe for a second that the original trilogy will be released around Q4 2004, as they have only just started shooting for episode 3 if Ewan McGregor is to be believed. Unless they release a bare bones version. It took roughly 2 years for episode 1 and episode 2 to go from pre to post production and the rest, and i can't imagine Lucas releasing these films prior to the cinema release of episode 3.

As far as my cynical imagination takes me they will release the original trilogy on dvd individually, then as a box set, then as a super boxset with hours and hours of outtakes etc, then an even better super dts es edition with all 6 films, then again in 5 years time with even more stuff or "misplaced" "forgotten" footage.

It's all still in the rumour mill i know, but i won't believe a Star Wars release date for the original trilogy until it bites me in the backside!

And even then i'll be hard pressed to buy it unless it contains at least 3 dvds with the original films, plus another 3 discs of additional footage.

I imagine a release (or at least dream) of about 15 dvds of all six films, with all the stuff, but i doubt that'd be released this decade, so for me its at least another 7 year wait :)

Good old George Lucas eh, f**king **** producer/director, but he rivals anyone at making a penny or two.

9. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think they have much additional footage for the original trilogy in the archives, I havn't seen that much over the years to do with these films, not really enough to do 2-disc editions of each film... which leads me to believe that a 4-disc box set (a la Indiana Jones) will most likely be the way they'll issue it, allthough they could bulk it up with new documentaries for 2-disc editions.

In regards to the Q4 2004 release date, it is possible I suppose, with it being stated that the spec. ed. version's of the films (CGI extras) are the only versions of the films that are available (the originals being deleted) and with these allready cleaned and mastered etc. for the last video release, it wouldn't take long to make up a dvd release package, just the time to do some new documentaries, interviews and maybe even a commentary or two... It would also really get the hype going for the last film to be released in the cinema (allthough Star Wars has never really needed any extra help with hype!!!)
    To sum it up, the more I think about it, the more I think that it is a possibility... but to be honest... I'd still be very surprised.

Regards,
    Iain.

10. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen a few comments on these threads as to the unavailability of original trilogy "extra's" material. Are you all kidding !!
    I have "the making of...." of all three original movies, so there's 3 hours for a start, then there are the bbc & C4 documentaries on the SE's - another 3 hours, plus the originals bundled across the various releases of NTSC & PAL Laserdisc's (including a tour of the archives with Don Bies - superb !) must be at least a combined ten hours there, plus video's of archived Tv adverts & collector spots on TV, then there was "from Star wars to Jedi - the making of a saga" another 1.5 hour making of, plus the deleted scenes, plus the music vid of ROTJ SE, plus the original trailers & TV spots, plus........etc.etc. etc. !!!
    All of this bumf (even if some is fan produced) has at some stage leaked from the Lucasfilm conglomerate, hence they will have it in some form or other, any excuses from them are as pathetic as Greedo firing first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Once again, Lucasfilm show complete disregard for the fans who propelled them to where they are. I love the movies and would love to see a proper release on DVD consisting of the untouched originals, the SE's plus all the archive material they can lay their hands on. Lucasfilm fail to take into account that most fans would accept that picture & sound quality could be compromised on archival material & would gladly accept this in order to view the things that matter most - i.e. the content !!!!

(P.s. - Just to clarify, I am not a complete maniac who sits huddled in a box playing with my Palitoy Leia & dribbling over stills of the millenium falcon (well, only occasionally) - But I dabble in dealing with movie merchandise, collectables and original screen used props, hence a lot of this stuff has been collated in the name of research over the years - honest !!)

11. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry AndyGo, we all understand, no really we do!!!

Honestly, I don't think you will find too many people here that haven't been called manically obsessive (or worse) about their films and DVD collections by their wives/partners/family or friends. Or all of them in my case!!

12. dawnthief

dawnthief
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah theres quite a bit of material ive got quite a bit cos i got the excecutor box set that came out in 1997. On the tapes were the films after which came the extras.
    just wondering if that was the first vhs release with extras