Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Director’s Edition iTunes Version

Indiana Jones

I saw it mentioned recently over on BD Forum that when you buy Star Trek 6 on iTunes one of the included extras is the Directors Cut of the film and that it doesn’t have any of the DNR or EE that the theatrical version suffers from and was wondering if anyone here had it and could confirm before I go buying it.

GrazzaB

I saw it mentioned recently over on BD Forum that when you buy Star Trek 6 on iTunes one of the included extras is the Directors Cut of the film and that it doesn’t have any of the DNR or EE that the theatrical version suffers from and was wondering if anyone here had it and could confirm before I go buying it.

Hi

I bought the 1-10 film box set on iTunes for £20 recently and there are definitely two versions included. Not sure on DNR but if you can wait until this evening I’m happy to check through it for you? The box set also has the Director’s Edition of TMP in SD if that’s of any interest.

Cheers

Indiana Jones

Seems the AppleTV app on the Xbox doesn’t support extras anyway so even if it is the version I want I couldn’t watch it :(

They do sell the Directors Edition by its self for £5.99 though, wonder if that is the DNR free version too.

Last edited:

GrazzaB

Seems the AppleTV app on the Xbox doesn’t support extras anyway so even if it is the version I want I couldn’t watch it :(

They do sell the Directors Edition by its self for £5.99 though, wonder if that is the DNR free version too.

Hi

Sorry I forgot about this, I will check properly for you tonight! I had a very quick look for you the other day - the theatrical version is indeed the DNR one and from a very brief look the director’s cut looks like an older print but free of DNR. Let me get back to you - sorry for the delay.

By the way it’s well worth out getting an Apple TV box IMO - it does 24 frame material properly (both kinds after the last update) and you get all the extra features.

Indiana Jones

I don’t much care for digital copies, much prefer having the actual item on disc so have never been that interested in AppleTV but being a big Trek with TUC as one of my favs this is mighty tempting, might just risk the £5.99 and see which version it is lol

GrazzaB

Hi

I’ve checked again - the theatrical is as above very heavy on the DNR. The Director’s Cut definitely retains some grain but looks like it comes from an older print and if I had to make a comparison I’d liken it to an older film on iPlayer. Certainly watchable, so I would say if you keep your expectations in check you could go for the £5.99 DC. If you think the quality is awful you can ask for a refund anyway I think within a certain time. You’ll know within ten minutes if you can accept it. Also I very much imagine (hope!) that these will get upgraded to 4K in the future. Paramount’s Breakdown looked horrible in HD on iTunes but looks much better now with the free 4K upgrade for instance.

Hope that helps.

Indiana Jones

Hi

I’ve checked again - the theatrical is as above very heavy on the DNR. The Director’s Cut definitely retains some grain but looks like it comes from an older print and if I had to make a comparison I’d liken it to an older film on iPlayer. Certainly watchable, so I would say if you keep your expectations in check you could go for the £5.99 DC. If you think the quality is awful you can ask for a refund anyway I think within a certain time. You’ll know within ten minutes if you can accept it. Also I very much imagine (hope!) that these will get upgraded to 4K in the future. Paramount’s Breakdown looked horrible in HD on iTunes but looks much better now with the free 4K upgrade for instance.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for confirming that, I have seen screenshots comparing the two versions and I think they both originate from the same DVD era master but the theatrical has been run through something nasty so think tonight I will drop the £5.99 and enjoy one of my top 3 Trek films :)

Indiana Jones

Pulled the trigger on this finally, certainly dated but far superior to the Blu-Ray thanks to the lack of that awful DNR.

Probably the first time I have watched the Directors Cut in nearly 20 years but I was sure during the mind meld scene there were loud ‘gong’ sounds when each of the conspirators faces was shown but this version while having the faces doesn’t have the sound which is a positive IMO, still remember the first time I saw the longer version in the mid 90s, found an ex-rental copy on VHS at a car boot sale and my parents bought it for me :)

Last edited:

GrazzaB

I remember going to see this at the Empire Cinema in Leicester Square on the opening week with that massive, perfectly projected image and superb sound. Fantastic viewing experience!

Indiana Jones

I remember going to see this at the Empire Cinema in Leicester Square on the opening week with that massive, perfectly projected image and superb sound. Fantastic viewing experience!
I remember my Dad taking me to see it in Bath, back then it was just a single screen and I remember us waiting outside for our turn, I would have been 7 years old at the time so probably one of the first films I remember seeing at the cinema along with Back to the Future 3 and Ghostbusters 2.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom