1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek TNG

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ante, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Ante

Ante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any difference betwen R1 and R2 of Star Trek TNG? Packaging for R2 sure looks cooler!

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hope so... just for that box design!

You may have already seen this about the R1 release but I thought I'd put it out anyway.

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont think there is any difference.
    The Trek sites are saying they are same excpet packaging.

Reg was slated for April 4, but rumors that is now MAY.

Anybody know if Reg 4 will be the same as 1 or 2 ?
    Since 1 & 2 are getting 5.1, Reg 4 will probably end up with 2.0.

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Well, all i can hope for is that the Region 4 gets the same packaging as the Region 2 (if that's what it eventually turns out like ) :D and that it's released at the same time cos i know i can get it a damn sight cheaper from Oz than most other places!

Gotta love Ezydvd!

5. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant understand why people are beign seduced by some gimmicky packaging...

I'll be getting the R1 editions - they are cheaper and will not suffer the conversion from NTSC to PAL.

Also on the TNG season 3 tapes, I did notice the PAL speed up.

On the other hand, for those getting R2, it does seem that Paramount have reconverted seasons 1+2 using DEFT and hence they should at last look as good as the conversions for all other seasons of new trek.

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Believe me I will be getting the R1 set, whether it has that packaging or not... but it would have been cool if it had the same packaging as the R2.

Instead it's just in the same old sort of boring box.

7. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The series one box set is released on the 10th May 2002 in OZ. No price or packing details as yet.

Play 24/7 are selling series one for £72.99 4/3/2002 & series two for £76.99 6/5/2002.

will keep a look out for the price at www.ezydvd.com.au

................................;)

Keith

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ... or the R4 set...

9. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    As the prices are about the same for a R1 inport vs R2 my choice is based on one, possibly two, factors.

Star Trek the Next Generation on TV back in the late 80s/early 90s was the first time I became aware of the change in audio pitch. Now of course I'm not entirely sure whether STNG was/is filmed or videoed, but if it's film this would explain the audio, if it's video it's likely that something may be lost in the standards conversion.

So R1 it is (for me).

(as you can guess I really don't give a fig about the design of the packaging!)

10. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TNG, along with all new Trek was filmed on 35mm film. But the editing and compositing were done on D1 NTSC tape.

This allowed faster, more flexible editing and effects production.

Seasons 1+2 when originally converted to PAL seem to have been made from multi generation NTSC masters and the conversion was not DEFT - ie full of judder and smeary.

Subsequent seasons were converted via DEFT which removes the pull down but speeds it up by 4%. I first noticed this on the first season 3 CIC video that I bought in 1991 - Captains Holiday. In one of the early scenes, Riker is extolling the virtues of Risa to Picard and his voice sounds well "up" and his facial expressions - eg eyebrows etc look speeded up.

This was also where the episodes started clocking in at 44 mins rather than 46.

To be honest - if you didnt know about this, I doubt you'd notice, but I'll be sticking with my golden rule, which is where the material was produced for viewing in NTSC, I'll buy the NTSC versions, and the same for PAL.

Where the material was edited in HD - well who knows!

11. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Watching the appaling episode last night were Tasha bought it (incidently she must be kicking herself now for jumping ship so early) it amazes me how people are so excited about buying this total cheese fest. Not sure what was more wooden, the acting or the sets. A talking oil slick for goodness sake.

12. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well season one is the worst season, but I think you’re reaching for a lazy cliché re the wooden acting and sets. Production values of TNG were always very high.

Once the series broke out from the Rodenberry strait jacket in seasons 2/3 the show really took off.

I’ll be buying season one as there are still some excellent episodes. Of course there are some real dogs, and they don’t come much worse than “Skin Of Evil”…

13. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Cheers Dunc, your post pretty much confirms that I wasn't imagining things when I thought the crew had been snorting helium! I'd never given standards conversion any thought until then, and I 'investigated' it with no preconceptions. It's still the reason I prefer to buy R1 discs (PAL source material excepted).

Matt, it you're that disinterested in STNG why post on a thread entitled 'Star Trek TNG'? I'm not 'having a go' at you, but this kind of thing has always amazed me!

14. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Bad news for all you trekies awaiting the region 2 version of TNG S1 bo set, its been put back on Paramounts release schedule until 1st of April.

15. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It's certainly interesting about the affects of conversion, not only on picture and possible sound quality, also on actors/cgi timing in scenes must be another consideration. Yes the time difference isn't huge but it just makes me think of key moments in which expression in movement and pitch of sound or the lack therein is pivotal.
    I remember arguing with a freind that a converted NTSC to PAL disc didn't mean that the PAL version would be superior necessarily. She quoted the old adage "Never The Same Color Twice" (NTSC) and wouldn't budge.
    As for the packaging, the R1 version appears to have individual regular plastic cases within. Whereas the R2 may have a funky plastic ST box but also one of those nasty and maddening card dvd books by the looks of it, which end up stored and discs placed in... for ease and sanity.
    I liked the series from outset. Funny how the effectual music got reduced as it went on, from those early synth endevours onward - not to mention the mini's! Oh and of course how Riker relaxed his John Wayne walk imitation and lean to one side, a little. Could go on but won't.:p

16. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The R1 packaging to me looks exactly like the X Files season packages – it a fold out case with plastic hubs for the discs. Ok if you take care of them – ie keep them on shelves.

I would prefer individual keep cases in a cardboard box myself but can understand the need to keep costs down.

And as for the R2 set being delayed – well its only coming out a week later – not exactly a maker or a breaker.

17. Ante

Ante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for answers! I'll go with the R1, packaging wasn't a major isue anyway, picture is the stuff that counts!