1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek TNG which region?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the old thread so am starting a new one!

Region 2 Project have done a comparison (sound and vision) between the regions 1 and 2 of the new Star Trek TNG box set.

As one would have thought there is very little (no) difference between the two sound wise.
    And in their opinion the region 2 version just pips the US version in the vision department (but that is more of a personal preferance as there is hardly anything in it).

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=3&articleId=3769

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Interesting that the R2 pipped R1 when used via composite, but that, aside from edge enhancement, R1 S-Video seemed more vibrant and perhaps better overall than R2 RGB.

That would suggest to me that the lower quality exhibited via composite is as a result of this connection type masking a great deal of the quality of both regions, the final result of that being a picture who's quality is based solely on the technical diferences between PAL & NTSC (specifically line structure in this case).

It would be interesting to see a test performed on seriously high end kit.

I also find the lack of difference in audio quality interesting. As far as I can gather there is a 4% run-time difference so either all the episodes have been pitch corrected or a proper comparison has not yet been carried out.

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gosh you are so knowledgable on the subject confucius! Personally I am just going by the packaging!! :rolleyes: :D

My kit isn't really good enough (yet!) to show the differences anyway, so I am really concerned about which one looks best on the shelf!!

4. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Thats why I got the R2 version it looks better. OK the picture quality may be slightly better on the R1 release but the R2 release is more of a collectors item.