1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek TNG TV Movies Collection - Poor PQ

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cybersoga, Oct 8, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I got the Star Trek TNG TV movies collection from play today (region 2). The picture quality is terrable. It's sourced from interlaced video - I can see that because it has terrable combing if I leave the DVD player on weave (film) mode. The colour is bad (everyone looks pale skinned). The black level is too high making it look washed out. The animations look like there are frames missing. The picture is also quite soft. In short, it shows all the symptoms of being converted badly from NTSC video to PAL video. Terrable. I wonder if the NTSC version is better, but they don't do a "TV movie collection" on region 1, you have to buy all the episodes.

I thought that it was filmed on film and converted to DVD like most films but obviously not.

2. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend the region 1 (2 disc) special Edition discs.
    I used to have some of the region 2 and I've changed all of them for the region 1 editions. The latest release for examaple 'The final frontier' is a vast improvement over the region 2 version, which wasn't even a anamorphic transfer.

Most of the region 1 Speacial Edition reviews can be found at www.dvdfile.com

Have a look!

popeye

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The box set that just came out is the feature length TV shows put back together to form "mini movies" see here

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=127321

I also have the newer UKR2 1-10 actual movies box set (some of them are the special edition version disc 1s) although a couple of them are poor to average transfers they arn't as bad as the quality of the actual TV series on region 2 DVD - at least they are all film sourced - but thanks for the tip.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I would have thought the episodes are exactly the same as the one in the season boxsets.

The picture quality on those while may look bad in the first few seasons is still much better than what is broadcasted on TV.

After owning the VHS (which is worse than the TV obviously), I was pleased with the picture quality.