Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THE STAR TREK TNG 20th ANNIVERSARY
COMPLETE SERIES 1-7 (49 disc) BOXSET
BARGAIN THREAD

(Full list last updated: 18/12/07)

TNG20thanni1.jpg

(find-dvd)

* Released on the 24th September this slimline 49 dvd set is only £77.97 @ amazon.

Product Description

Finally, the complete landmark, epic sci-fi television series, Star Trek: The Next Generation is available in a complete series set. Revered by TV Guide as “one of the greatest television shows of all time” fans can celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the landmark series and own all 176 classic episodes in one definitive collector’s boxed set, featuring all-new special features. This is the definitive release that fans have been waiting for!
  • 49-Disc DVD Box Set
  • Specialty Packaging
  • Hard-plastic molded exterior case in gun metal silver coloring
  • Front emblem and title treatment to be raised and foil stamped
  • The space images and 20th Anniversary logo will show through the hard plastic case via die-cuts Space-scape and 20th Anniversary logo will be printed four color on a clear PVC top which will fit inside the hard-plastic case
  • The interior will feature unique color designed digi-books housing a total of 48 episode discs plus 1 all new bonus disc. These digi-books will be one disc on each double-sided tray. The trays will be the thin-line trays so as to help consolidate the overall sizing of the product
  • Digi-books will be housed in the exterior case with spines facing out
  • All new disc labels are also being created for this special edition 20th Anniversary product
  • A booklet is being designed to fit inside the box
TNG20thanni2.jpg

TNG20thanni3.jpg

More info here.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Mmmm, I understand that HD versions of this may be some time away so this is sorely tempting.

Or do I hold out and see if it will go lower :D

...Or do I hold out and see if it will go lower :D

Well it's £112.49 @ amazon (with an RRP of £149.99) so it might drop. I've added it to my amazon wishlist so I can keep an eye on it. However I'm tempted to take out a Virgin CC just to get this for £90

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Also £114 @ HMV, so I could actually see this going a bit lower.

Might hold out see if HMV start dishing out vouchers in the lead up to Christmas and drop the price to £100. £10 off voucher and 10% quidco could work out at £80 :)

Mmmm, I understand that HD versions of this may be some time away so this is sorely tempting.

Or do I hold out and see if it will go lower :D

Hi,

I don't think there will be a HD version. Most of the scenes were filmed in SD due to the SFX.
(Only the action scences were taped on film).

In case they try to make a HD version it might be a dissapointment?!

I believe that this version is maybe as good as it gets (for the people no having this series already).

Cheers

Benzol

ugly packaging, nice price

not sure I can justify it to myself, since much of the show makes me cringe these days, and I've already got many of the best episodes on the ST Fan Collective boxsets

would be in there like a crazy mofo if it was DS9

Hi,

I don't think there will be a HD version. Most of the scenes were filmed in SD due to the SFX.
(Only the action scences were taped on film).

In case they try to make a HD version it might be a dissapointment?!

I believe that this version is maybe as good as it gets (for the people no having this series already).

Cheers

Benzol

The series was shot on 35mm using Panaflex cameras, then this was unitabed onto video for the SFX shots to be inserted.

Assuming they have the original 35mm prints they could, in theory, release this on HD but it would mean having to re-do all the SFX shots again. Given the number of effects on each episode, this would probably be prohibitively expensive.

It looks bad enough in SD, dunno how HD would benefit.... the picture of these on DVD look no better than the Laserdiscs I had.

Makes me sick that I payed £70/season (Region 1) a while back. :eek:

:clap: Cheers Kev, I've been saving my £40 worth of thats-what-i-think vouchers just for this to drop in price. So for under £40 and hopefully delivered before Xmas I'm one happy banana.
116.gif

Anywhere do any sort of amazon cashback etc.. ? as I have about £300 worth of stuff in my amazon basket, and cannot use my Quidco etc.. for cash back, anywhere worth going for to get the price down a little?

as that price rocks :) under 80 quid.

Anywhere do any sort of amazon cashback etc.. ? as I have about £300 worth of stuff in my amazon basket, and cannot use my Quidco etc.. for cash back, anywhere worth going for to get the price down a little?

as that price rocks :) under 80 quid.

not quite as good but you can get nectar points for stuff you use at amazon if you go through the nectar website.

and if youre a student and have an nus card you can get 5% off through their website.

Sorely tempted by this, but completely with Krish. If this was DS9 at this price I would have ripped their arms, legs and whatever else I can find off to get it.

As for HD, I take it there is nothing even remotely on the horizon/rumours for TNG on HD DVD, so might have to take the plunge. Although I have got Season 1 on DVD in the old style big plastic boxset and the picture quality was complete crap.

Sorely tempted by this, but completely with Krish. If this was DS9 at this price I would have ripped their arms, legs and whatever else I can find off to get it.

As for HD, I take it there is nothing even remotely on the horizon/rumours for TNG on HD DVD, so might have to take the plunge. Although I have got Season 1 on DVD in the old style big plastic boxset and the picture quality was complete crap.

once the studio has milked the dvd release, im sure the HD version will miraculously appear and milk the world once again :D

once the studio has milked the dvd release, im sure the HD version will miraculously appear and milk the world once again :D

Only if they totally remastered it in HD which will take some time. Every series up to Enterprise was edited on video for the special effects. They would have to do a lot of work.

I am happy with Trek being on SD DVD.

£80 is a decent price considering it's not that far off what they are charging for a single season of Star Trek in HD-DVD.

Really tempted by this but skint at the mo. Think I'll wait since I've got tons of hds to watch as well as Wire season 2-4.

What's the PQ like on STTNG DVD's? The TV show's PQ is absolutely terrible on Sky. One of the worse programmes for PQ in my opinion. Are these DVD's any better? Do they look any better upscaled?

What's the PQ like on STTNG DVD's? The TV show's PQ is absolutely terrible on Sky. One of the worse programmes for PQ in my opinion. Are these DVD's any better? Do they look any better upscaled?

The DVDs will have the same PQ as Sky really and chances are there won't ever be any HD releases of TNG, DS9 or VOY. All of these shows were filmed on quite poor film and were only ever meant for television at the time. You really notice this on the DS9 boxsets, there's a big difference in the quality from the first three seasons or so to the later ones. I think most of VOY have the better quality of the later DS9 series but TNG is only made of the lower quality.

They don't actually have the raw material to make a decent HD copy, all they have is what they made for broadcast, i.e. SD and not very good SD at that. TOS is a different matter since it was filmed on high quality film and so they have something they can actually remaster. Enterprise I believe was mostly if not entirely shot in HD so we can probably expect HD copies of that. All other Trek series, however, DVD quality is the best you're going to get. Well apart from the Animated series, I guess they have the raw materials to make that HD.

The DVD's are quite a bit better than Freeview (don't have Sky). Even the early ones are better. The last few seasons of TNG are excellent quality. DS9 also starts poor for the first season and got better. All of Voyager is excellent. It is good enough that I project Trek at 60+ inches wide.

not quite as good but you can get nectar points for stuff you use at amazon if you go through the nectar website.

and if youre a student and have an nus card you can get 5% off through their website.

Hey Nectar here I come :) I spend so much at amazon I will at least get a few quid back a year :) its such a shame they do not go with Quidco :D

Amazon do a student discount??? How? Where? Why do I only find this out *after* I've spent not far off a grand on there!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom