Star Trek - The Video Game

Our Year

Distinguished Member
Star Trek: The Video Game preview - Set to stun? | GamesRadar

So here we are. After three years of development, Star Trek: The Video Game is almost complete and asking us to push Start. And that’s when we’re presented with a dilemma: Do we play as Captain Kirk, or Mr Spock? Being (now sadly frustrated) fans of Heroes, our first choice is simple. This Spock model looks exactly like Zachary Quinto. Spock it is.

Produced by Paramount Pictures and developed by Digital Extremes, the game is a third-person actioner and sees you beaming down with away teams to shoot things with phasers, all the while pitying red-shirted ensigns who will surely perish before the level’s out.

The story has been written by BAFTA award-winner Marianne Krawczyk and, while separate from the events of the two films, is considered canon by Paramount. Indeed, the first thing you notice is how much like JJ Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek movie everything is. And the reason is simple. This is Zachary Quinto. And Chris Pine, too. The ensemble cast from the movie were immediately signed to provide their talents for the video game, which gives this a supreme air of authenticity. That said, the likeness of Simon Pegg as Scotty reminds us a little too much of Shaun of the Dead. It’s rather zombie-esque.

Taking control, we’re presented with the iconic corridors of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Ensigns in Star Fleet uniform talk to each other and the geeky Trekkie fuzzy feeling gets even sweeter as we head onto the bridge, which has been recreated extremely well. A cutscene kicks in explaining the need to take an away party down to a stricken vessel, and the scripting is strong.

The warm banter continues into the levels themselves. At one point, Kirk says of a female captain “I like her”, to which Spock replies “There are few you don’t”. We won’t spoil all the lines for you, but we’d recommend you try sitting in the captain’s chair as Spock.

The game adopts the now-staple over-the-shoulder approach. Considering Namco-Bandai is publishing the game, it was refreshing to hear Senior Vice President of Paramount Pictures, Brian Miller, name non-Namco titles as the team’s favourites, including Mass Effect and Uncharted. Of course, he also stressed that no single game has been copied directly, but that he’s a gamer and knows which games he should be influenced by.

Star Trek certainly has elements of those two games. There's a snap-to-cover system which we used to cross the outside of a ship whose heat shield is failing in the face of a looming sun. Standing up during the blasts sees firey trails blazing around your character’s profile, although the game seems much more forgiving in practice than the preceding cutscene would suggest. We stayed in the flames for ages and still lived to tell the tale, which diminished the drama more than a little.

There's Tomb Raider-esque climbing too, which feels a little clunky. We actually had difficulty getting Spock to relinquish his grip on the current platform as we aimed for another. Of course, there’s still some polishing time before release.

The Tricorder is activated with the left bumper and overlays a wireframe grid onto the screen, highlighting objects of note. It also acts as a Metroid-style scanner and handily allows you to deactivate robotic laser arms blocking your path, even while climbing. Scanning enemies also earns you XP, which can be used to purchase upgrades for your weapons.

Oddly, we didn’t get to shoot much during the demo, although there was plenty of hands-off shooting action shown to us. Classic lizard-like foe ‘The Gorn’ returns, although now there’s a whole race of them, complete with different classes and even females. They're determined to conquer the galaxy, so you'll be fighting them in several distinct locations, including on the surface of New Vulcan.

‘At least’ 20 weapons are included, from the classic phasers to sniper rifles and grenade launchers. Every weapon has a primary and secondary mode of fire and you are able to pick up weapons from downed enemies. However, you can only carry two weapons at any one time. You also have a shield which recharges, although your health needs to be replenished at specific medi-points.

Co-op play lets two players join in and (as we mentioned in our preview last year) there are asymmetrical elements in the gameplay, acted out by the computer in single-player mode. Oh, but remember that episode where Kirk fights Spock? Miller says there will be a moment late in the game where you and your co-op buddy have a little scuffle...

With hacking minigames and spacewalk/flight sequences to break up the action, there's definitely a feeling of ‘gaming by numbers’. There’s very little here you haven’t seen before. Although, if you think about it, Captain Kirk was setting his phaser to ‘kill’ before home computers even existed. So perhaps complaining about originality isn’t strictly fair.

The game is due out on April 26 for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

jassco

Distinguished Member
I always thought they should make a mass-effect style star trek game rather than an action one, but I'll be keeping half an eye on this :)

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
Looks ok. We'll see how it is when it comes out I'm guessing, the video doesn't impress me as much as some other games I've seen.

AML

I for one look forward to exploring the insides of the Enterprise.

And a bit of "duck & cover" pew pew

namuk

Distinguished Member
looks ok some star trek games are hit and miss,when done right your hooked played most of them over the years.

AML

Best trek games for me were Elite force 1 and 2, Armada 1 and 2, and now STO.

Razor

AML said:

Elite Force, now there's a blast from the past.

Looking at that video, this looks like my sort of game. :)

chaz206

Elite Force, now there's a blast from the past.

Looking at that video, this looks like my sort of game. :)

ahhhh elite force 1 and 2 that brings back memories, perfect fps star trek game

i cant believe there hasnt been more talk of this game before as i just saw the trailer for this a few days ago.

Will wait for the reviews before as i really dont want this to flop like aliens did

If i do get this will probably get this for the PS3 as i doubt my pc or laptop will be good enough to run the game

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member

Ben Ingber

Are AVF getting more involved in things like press events in the gaming world now?

If yes who are the lucky people going to E3? :)

We're building the editorial profile of the site steadily. I'm based in London so I'm the lucky one who got to go along to Star Trek, and last year I went to Hitman and WWE. It feels like it's beginning to get some momentum, which is good news all round.

The write-ups appear in News usually, and reviews are of course here: Game Reviews | AVForums.com

Dunno about E3 mate - even if the chance came up I reckon my wife'd have some words to say about it...

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Ben Ingber said:
We're building the editorial profile of the site steadily. I'm based in London so I'm the lucky one who got to go along to Star Trek, and last year I went to Hitman and WWE. It feels like it's beginning to get some momentum, which is good news all round.

The write-ups appear in News usually, and reviews are of course here: Game Reviews | AVForums.com

Dunno about E3 mate - even if the chance came up I reckon my wife'd have some words to say about it...

Great news that its picking up momentum. Good to see AVF represented at announcements like this. Long may it continue.

Well if AVF are struggling to get a man on the ground at E3 then let me be the first to throw my name in the hat. The wife won't have a choice when I get her put into a coma for the week.

namuk

Distinguished Member

you know there is a none official patch out so Armada 2 will run on 64bit win7 ect, class game :cool: loved elite force even the Academy types as well oh the 3dfx days :D

AML

you know there is a none official patch out so Armada 2 will run on 64bit win7 ect, class game :cool: loved elite force even the Academy types as well oh the 3dfx days :D

You got a link? :D Because if you do i will be installing it as soon as i get home.

Our Year

Distinguished Member
UK Star Trek fans also get an added bonus if the pre-order the new Star Trek Video Game and that is with free tickets to the upcoming movie.

Free ticket info:

Paramount Pictures and leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Partners UK, announce a pre-order and day-one purchase opportunity with all UK GAME stores.

The partnership allows any purchaser of STAR TREK THE VIDEO GAME on any format an exclusive complimentary ticket to this year’s hottest movie Star Trek Into Darkness, which releases in cinemas everywhere in May 2013.

Working with Hollywood Movie Money, upon pre-order or day-one purchase the customer will receive a unique code where they can redeem it instantly online via a special microsite. The redemption will award a full adult ticket to any Cineworld cinema in the country. Any additional seating or upgrade will have to be purchased at the cinema chain. The promotion will be available whilst ticket allocation and box office remains. Pre-orders are a focused push for this activity and guaranteed to secure your free ticket.

Namco Bandai Partners UK and Game will also select a special winner from all the purchasers and offer a VIP, red-carpet treatment to a future Paramount Pictures UK Premiere including 5 star accommodation.

:smashin:

AML

saves all the typing :D

How to run Star Trek Armada II on windows 7 64bit - YouTube

patch links are there just click header of the vid :)

Little off topic but it just dawned on my that this is one reason people are buying/re-buying old games on steam.

1: steam sales: "why not its cheap as balls"
2: "can't find the disk, might as well just get it on steam"
3: "have disc, but won't run on current version of windows. Get it on steam so I don't have to jump through hoops"

Well played Gabe, well played...

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
That advert was not too bad, actually made the game more appealing as well.

mozza54

Im not a massive Star Trek fan but it looked like a good 3rd person shooter and a Co-Op one as well which really swayed me..Really hope its gets good reviews as its probably the second game Ive ever pre ordered on Steam.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
This doesnt look to bad but 5 to 7 hours for the campaign is poor. I didnt have this on my list of must have games to start with but with a short sp I will pick this up in a future sale.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Loewe launches We.See TVs under new 'We. by Loewe' sub-brand
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 1st December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Rumour: Samsung even closer to OLED TVs in 2022?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom