Star Trek: The Original Series Season One Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Simon Crust, 6th May 2009
There’s not much that I can say about Star Trek that has not already been said before. The series is iconic, ground breaking, formative, exciting, enlightening and seems to want to go on forever and ever. Just around the corner is the all new movie showing the prequel to this series and this set is worthy to stand up against it.

The remastered episodes are a joy to watch, they are bright clean and look better now than they have ever done before – the all new CGI effects add much to the episodes creating a grander scale to the already full show. Seeking not to alienate anyone, Paramount have included the original effects and sound so you can see the episodes as they were originally aired, never before in Hi Def. The extras are comprehensive enough, even if there is still more that could have been added, and no original pilot either.

So is this set worth upgrading? Absolutely. A hugely recommended set that will sit proudly along the very best the format has to offer.

Read the full review...

Great review Simon,yes it will sit proudly,right next to the motion picture boxset.:thumbsup:

Very good review and one set I didn't mind tripple dipping on :thumbsup:

One quick point, did you find the DTS-HD mix to be very quiet and requiring about a 15db gain over other material to get to a similar level?

It wasn't something that stuck in my mind, otherwise I would have mentioned it in the review; thinking back I did ramp the volume a little, I'll recheck tonight and let you know

Simon

It wasn't something that stuck in my mind, otherwise I would have mentioned it in the review; thinking back I did ramp the volume a little, I'll recheck tonight and let you know

Simon

Thanks Simon. What stands out for me is the massive sound level difference between the trailer for the new film on disc 1 and the 1st episode, both of which are DTS-MA tracks.

Spun various episodes last night and agree that if listening at 'normal' volume levels it is a tad on the low side; but not excessively so; it does, however, really come to life the higher the volume level (when reviewing I play close to or at reference level).

It's not only the trailer that is loud, (probably done to shake you into watching it :rotfl:) I find the menu intro (when it pans over the Enterprise) to be a step up in volume over the episodes :eek: lovely bass rumble though so I forgive that :rolleyes::cool:

Simon

Very good review and one set I didn't mind tripple dipping on :thumbsup:

One quick point, did you find the DTS-HD mix to be very quiet and requiring about a 15db gain over other material to get to a similar level?

I am using the DTS HD down mixed to standard DTS on my BD30 + (non HD amp).

I also find the mix very quiet, cranked up by about 9 to 12 db over other discs.

****POSSIBLE MOVIE SPOILER WARNING ****

Am I missing something here - I got the blu-ray season 1 box set - there is no episode list included - looked on Play -the pilot "The Cage" doesn't seem to be included! If I'm right it's a bad omission for me as the new movie features Captain Pike who I believe only appeared in the tv pilot so it's a continuity issue (unless the Star Trek timeline has been altered according to the new movie?)

Apart from that - picture quality and sound are stunning :)

Gareth

The episode list is on the inside front and back covers, it is in transmission order

This set does not include the original pilot "The Cage"

Last edited:
****POSSIBLE MOVIE SPOILER WARNING ****

Am I missing something here - I got the blu-ray season 1 box set - there is no episode list included - looked on Play -the pilot "The Cage" doesn't seem to be included! If I'm right it's a bad omission for me as the new movie features Captain Pike who I believe only appeared in the tv pilot so it's a continuity issue (unless the Star Trek timeline has been altered according to the new movie?)

Apart from that - picture quality and sound are stunning :)

Gareth

Is it worth getting if you already have it on HD-DVD?

I waited a while to order this as I opted to wait for the obliviously coming sooner or later box set of all 3 seasons picked up today for the massive sum of £44.99 new, there's just no rushing this old fellow as I have seen them all before countless times, but I have to say am quite looking forwards to see this on Blu finally.

The omission of the cage though seems strange to me still at least I have that with the old DVD sets.

Thanks for the review :)

The Cage is in the Season 3 set, I think.
Thank you Geoff time to sell the DVD's then although I do love the plastic boxes there in :blush: :)

Edit tracked down season 3 review & your quite correct ..
"One of the major extras that this sets showcases is, of course, the series' original pilot episode "The Cage," which is found on disc six, and is made available in three versions" :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What packaging is it coming in ? The cardboard packaging is rubbish as it scratches discs.

What packaging is it coming in ? The cardboard packaging is rubbish as it scratches discs.
Maybe that's why its so cheap :)

I suspect it will be the cardboard ones looking at the picture but it was a good price couldn't resist !!
Star Trek: The Original Series - Complete Box Set Blu-ray | Zavvi.com
I shall be careful thanks for the warning, if worst comes to worst they can go in my DVD casing which I have always liked or I'll send back get a refund & buy the separates.

Last edited:
The DVD versions have the same packaging and many discs will not work. They went from the original packaging that cracked discs to good slimline packaging and then back to rubbish packaging again.

Even the original blu ray packaging had a problem with the last discs of each season where they kept becoming loose. I ended up puttng them inside clamshell cases and storing them where the leaflets go inside.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It happens all the time doesn't it. They lower the price and stick the discs in rubbish cardboard sleeve packaging.

That packaging ruined 20 discs across TNG and DS9 of mine. They did revise the inside packaging a little bit later on but it didn't help much.

I have had this set for a year or two now and not one of my discs are scratched, it might not be too kind to DVD's but BD's are far tougher.

Last edited:
Since reading nwgarratt posts I have been looking at the feedback on Amazon & its does seem that quite a few hated the packaging & had problems & then there's those that don't seem to have any issues like yourself Doctor Jones I guess I'll find out when they arrive.

I've had the same boxset for more than a year and haven't had any problems with scratched discs. I am very fastidious about handling my stuff though. Maybe the damage to discs is due to people being more careless with handling them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom