Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) Director's Editions / Original 6-Film Collection (1979-1991) 4K UHD

Really? Not the second set you're expecting? You've already sold on the first set?

Bri
It’s because I have the second set on the way I decided to get shot of this one sharpish before the price drops.

To be honest I might even sell the US set when it arrives, I mean I am unlikely to watch them again this year and we all know a complete set is on the way, willing to bet this time next year it will already be out and will include the 4K Directors Edition of The Motion Picture too.

I'm afraid I didn't like the DC. I must have watched TMP around 20 to 30 times and watching the DC cut is the only time I didn't enjoy it. That is apart from an extended cut Laserdisc with the worst pan and scan job I have ever seen. That was so distracting it was near impossible to judge the content.

Bri
Wrath of Khan in this 4K boxset includes both the Theatrical & Director’s cut.
Hopefully the TMP Director’s cut 4K disc will also contain both cuts on the same disc.

Oh I do love The Voyage Home, so much fun, great music and the interplay between Kirk and Spock is fantastic :)

This is without a doubt the biggest upgrade of the four over the previous Blu-ray, that was always god awful just a shame it took 12 years to finally do this film justice (can’t un-see those fingers on the chopper wiper blades now that I know they are there though lol)

Roll on the rest and please don’t make us wait too long Paramount.

Last edited:
Zavvi haven't shipped mine yet either.
What bugs me is the lack of communication.
Would it kill them to send an email explaining the delay and new estimated delivery etc.
Sometimes makes you wonder if these companies want customers.

Got mine in store at HMV. - watching TMP now

Unless you lock in a bargain price or have credit to use I wouldn’t use Amazon as TheEntertainmentStore ask the same price but delivered last Thursday so definitely worth searching them out for future releases.

Cancelled my Zavvi order - i can deal with delays but not communication black-outs.
Going to try TheEntertainmentStore instead.

Just finished The Motion Picture which for the most part is a fine upgrade but there are certain sequences which are down right horrible of which the probe sequence is probably the low point of the film.

Now this scene has never looked good on any format but I swear it looks sub 480p on the UHD, in fact I dug out my copy of the DVD and compared them and well you tell me which is the less blurry/smeary of these…
My thoughts here :-

My thoughts here :-
No question this is the best it has ever looked and the V'Ger probe scene on the bridge is very much the worst point but that sequence has always been very very rough so gets a pass however the Enterprise introduction and space dock departure should without a doubt look better than they do as a lot of the same footage is in Khan and it is clearly of higher quality so they definitely fudged those bits up but here's hoping the Directors Edition will sort it out.

The rest are a joy to watch and I have high hopes for the remaining six films (watched First Contact in 4K a few months ago and it looked fantastic)

Last edited:
Is this because they had some weird delivery date when you ordered? Does your original order have a delivery date stated?

They did this to me a few times and I stopped pre-ordering from them.
6th September was my only delivery date I even tried to tell them on a customer service chat but they are hopeless they just say its in advance shipping stage right now! :facepalm:

I am stuck here if I cancel then I am not going to get before Friday ...they say its arriving on Saturday! Also they have been telling some customers its not actually available until 13th September!

I've never known Amazon to take money until they despatch.

You could still cancel - they'll refund - if that's an option.
This changed quite a long time ago.
Don’t know if it’s changed back since that thread.

I hadn't heard about this.
I pre-ordered Carlito's Way on 2nd September.
Looking at my bank account they haven't taken money - we're on day 6.
They better not even think about charging up front - business, me, elsewhere ....

The only time I pre-order is on the limited edition Dr Who Blu Ray sets. I'm pretty sure they charged up front for one of them and they failed to mail it straight away. Those sets sell out very quickly so I wasn't at all happy.

Bri

I hadn't heard about this.
I pre-ordered Carlito's Way on 2nd September.
Looking at my bank account they haven't taken money - we're on day 6.
They better not even think about charging up front - business, me, elsewhere ....
They charge upfront now! They do not even know what they are doing either...told me the money is not taken until dispatch but it clearly was so I cancelled that & ordered again!!

Amazon charge on order? They have never done that to me. Is it a prime thing - as I have prime?

I always get charged on despatch, not on order, and always have done.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom