Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) Director's Editions / Original 6-Film Collection (1979-1991) 4K UHD

Amazon charge on order? They have never done that to me. Is it a prime thing - as I have prime?

I always get charged on despatch, not on order, and always have done.
Try ordering something & then cancelling it.
On my credit card statement I will see both the charge & the refund listed.

You Tube link not working, so here is Twitter link

Try ordering something & then cancelling it.
On my credit card statement I will see both the charge & the refund listed.
No, doesn't happen, never has - for me, anyway. Not disputing it doesn't happen for you though. Perhaps only happens with certain accounts? Or certain payment methods, maybe.

Anyway - back on topic - my boxset arrived today.

Good packaging for once very sturdy.

Movies all look about the same as they ever did theatrically in 70mm in the UK.

Paramount have used some minimal auto DNR for sure it scrubs some fine detail away. In places they look a little soft on certain problem optical composites but that's ok they always looked less than pristine & impossible to fix without onset reshoots & recomposites.

All 4 movies were never actually given a decent budget (STMP wasted tens of millions on failed VFX concepts & the aborted TV series costs were also folded into the STMP budget-the rest was spent on sets & VFX leaving little for anything else!).

All the VFX composites are just fine no visible travelling composite boxes at all (unless your display is incorrectly set!) A few little dots here & there like there always were its part of the original film elements!

Its a must buy set & those dodgy inferior streaming screenshots a few weeks ago well none of those shots look like that on 4K UHD Disc it has zero glitches just a few original film element soft shots due to the nature of the photochemical opticals VFX process from the era.

Even the Enterprise leaving drydock in STMP boom arm fix is barley noticeable in motion you would have to have your face kissing the screen & freeze framing it frame by frame to even notice it (so excessive for someone to highlight & complain about that!). Most people are never going to watch the movie that way are they!

This is the closest your ever going to get to the original theatrical experience now so that makes it a must buy set for fans & anyone remotely interested in decent movies from this era!

Such a pity this has st1 in it. The film is dire and even worse than st5.

Why not just release the trilogy? The vast majority of St fans aren't keen on the first film anyway.

I won't pay 80 quid for 3 films.

I can watch st5 even though its poor and st6 is brilliant. When the price drops I'll get this boxset but st1 won't be watched.

It’s certainly a decisive film, personally I love it for the visuals/music and can’t wait for the Directors Edition next year.

I’ve always found TMP a hard watch but I think it might be down to being a kid when I first saw it after TWOK. I’ve been umming and aaaahing watching it again and giving it my full attention for some time. So this seems as good as an excuse to go for it, so where’s the cheapest place to source it from? Anybody know of some current deals?

I’ve always found TMP a hard watch but I think it might be down to being a kid when I first saw it after TWOK. I’ve been umming and aaaahing watching it again and giving it my full attention for some time. So this seems as good as an excuse to go for it, so where’s the cheapest place to source it from? Anybody know of some current deals?
I would say the US release which was available for around £60 delivered but there appear to be supply issues in the US at present.

Might be worth keeping an eye on the classifieds here as I am sure copies will start popping up soon.

I'd have preferred that TMP not be part of this collection and it just be the Genesis Trilogy, and save the TMP theatrical cut for a Deluxe edition with the Directors Edition next year, so that release would have both cuts.

Has anyone who ordered off deep discount got theirs yet? Tracking number doesn't return any results .

I wonder why they did not do ST V and VI. It just seems a odd decision to do just the first 4. I will probably end up buying the new separate 1080p releases.

I wonder why they did not do ST V and VI. It just seems a odd decision to do just the first 4. I will probably end up buying the new separate 1080p releases.
Two possible reasons...

they have not yet finished working on the others so released what they had,

or

by splitting them up into smaller sets the shock to the wallet won't be so drastic as a 10 movie set won't be cheap (likely around the £200 mark)

Two possible reasons...

they have not yet finished working on the others so released what they had,

or

by splitting them up into smaller sets the shock to the wallet won't be so drastic as a 10 movie set won't be cheap (likely around the £200 mark)

I think it's a bit of both to maximise the cash grab. There are few franchises where people generally would enjoy all 10 films in a box set but I'd say this is possibly one of them (even if not to the same degree, ask anyone their thoughts on Insurrection...). Likelihood is they see an opportunity to release what they have for the mega fans, then drip feed the last of the TOS films, then uber box everyone with the full TOS & TNG film set. Maybe the reception to this set will determine the quality and production run of the rest?

I would imagine most Star Trek fans are fans of both TOS and TNG and would probably appreciate the whole set especially if it's not a barebones release, includes the TMP DC and so on.

I will certainly be opening my wallet and pouring out the contents for a 10 film 4K HDR set, if done properly. My feeling is this is the last physical format to come or to be to done with respect for collectors, I figure its the last time I will want to buy into these big box sets with the ever diminshing quality of included tat in most of them.

I would even be happy with two sets, one for the TOS film and another for the TNG films, but I've been stung at the wallet enough this year to not go double/triple dipping on releases with no promise of exactly what's around the corner. Especially given this isn't even all the TOS films; for me that makes this set an appetiser and not the main course.

I would prefer a boxset of the TOS films just like the 2009 set (with DC of The Motion Picture). I don't do 4K so a new 1080p set would please me.

I think it's a bit of both to maximise the cash grab. There are few franchises where people generally would enjoy all 10 films in a box set but I'd say this is possibly one of them (even if not to the same degree, ask anyone their thoughts on Insurrection...). Likelihood is they see an opportunity to release what they have for the mega fans, then drip feed the last of the TOS films, then uber box everyone with the full TOS & TNG film set. Maybe the reception to this set will determine the quality and production run of the rest?

I would imagine most Star Trek fans are fans of both TOS and TNG and would probably appreciate the whole set especially if it's not a barebones release, includes the TMP DC and so on.

I will certainly be opening my wallet and pouring out the contents for a 10 film 4K HDR set, if done properly. My feeling is this is the last physical format to come or to be to done with respect for collectors, I figure its the last time I will want to buy into these big box sets with the ever diminshing quality of included tat in most of them.

I would even be happy with two sets, one for the TOS film and another for the TNG films, but I've been stung at the wallet enough this year to not go double/triple dipping on releases with no promise of exactly what's around the corner. Especially given this isn't even all the TOS films; for me that makes this set an appetiser and not the main course.
Without a doubt a 1-10 boxset will materialise at some point as will individual releases, steelbooks etc but if they want to drip feed then a few at a time that is also fine with me, not like once bought they must forever stay part of my collection just watch them then sell on and in the future buy the big Uber set if you so wish, that is what I plan to do.

Has anyone who ordered off deep discount got theirs yet? Tracking number doesn't return any results .
My copy from Deep Discount arrived today, weird that for once the U.K. release has the better packaging with a sturdy slipbox, the US release slipbox is made of much thinner card.

Just got an email from Amazon.es saying that due to a ‘technical issue’ the single releases were not available and my order was cancelled.

Does anyone know if the separate 1080p blu rays come with slipcovers? I have only found them on Amazon and does not show one.

Does anyone know if the separate 1080p blu rays come with slipcovers? I have only found them on Amazon and does not show one.
Apparently they do but as with all slipcovers it will be blind luck whether you get them or not.

Apparently they do but as with all slipcovers it will be blind luck whether you get them or not.

Thanks, was going to wait for a cheaper price but probably not worth the risk. I still want a new ST V and VI (directors cut please) so probably worth waiting for a proper boxset.

Last edited:
Thanks, was going to wait for a cheaper price but probably not worth the risk. I still want a new ST V and VI (directors cut please) so probably worth waiting for a proper boxset.
I plan on getting the eventual 1-10 boxset but in the mean time will get the new UHDs then sell them on once watched.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom