Star Trek: The Original 4-Film Collection 4K UHD

Vertigo1

4K digital is barely half the quality of a properly mastered 4K Disc! 4K Disc is the king... long live the king!!!

Sound is the other big factor with streaming services which many seem to forget.

Streaming doesn't have the bandwidth for decent lossless formats like TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.
They may all tout Atmos these days but it's layered on top of a basic, lossy DD+ base most of the time due to bandwidth constraints.

A decent TrueHD/Atmos/DTS:HD stream on a 4K Bluray can average around 6-7Mbps alone at times. Some streaming services squeeze their entire 4K stream into that :D

4K UHD Fan

4K Disc is way ahead clearly.

I can see why some chose 4K streaming but in a few years the first thing the streamers will do when no more physical media is reduce bandwidth costs to save money which means cutting the stream back & no-one will be able to complain as no alternative!

varkanoid

4K Disc is way ahead clearly.

I can see why some chose 4K streaming but in a few years the first thing the streamers will do when no more physical media is reduce bandwidth costs to save money which means cutting the stream back & no-one will be able to complain as no alternative!

They did this last year when people were on lockdown and it didnt cause that much uproar as I thought. Maybe as people expecting it to return to "normal" levels again eventually.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I know that I’ll be double dipping for the super duper 4K of TMP next year but when I thought about it the only films that I watch on a regular basis are the first two so I cancelled my boxset pre order and went with the Spanish individual releases.

D16C230B-7C8F-48DF-9642-E24BFF6CF58C.jpeg
22EF4A53-4B47-493F-84FD-50D529650658.jpeg

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member

mikemag

Distinguished Member

brian s

Distinguished Member
I prefer to think of it as Star Trek: The Mostly Ponderous :)

And you're buying The Slow Motion Picture? 😆 Joking aside I love the film. I saw it on it's original cinema release and it was my first Laserdisc. Along with 2001 it is one of my most watched films.

Bri

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I love TMP and maybe it was just because I went straight from watching the reruns of the original show on television to being amazed by Douglas Trumbull’s special effects work on the big screen but it had a sense of epic that none of the sequels ever managed.

Vertigo1

TMP is great!

The shuttle sequence with Scotty and Kirk is just beautiful.

I also think that, whilst dated/cheesy, the warp effect as the Enterprise hits warp 7 has never been bettered.

4K UHD Fan

STMP Had a $32M VFX budget alone! In 1979 that was a massive amount of money for VFX. For many years STMP had an entry in the Guinness Book Of Records as the highest budget movie ever made!

Several excellent making of books covered some of the background on the production elements. Paramount wanted their own Star Wars. Gene Roddenberry wanted above all else some of his discarded new TV series ideas. The entire film was made under immense time pressures. But the end results are still to this day unmatched on many levels :thumbsup:

Amazon product

brian s

Distinguished Member
STMP Had a $32M VFX budget alone! In 1979 that was a massive amount of money for VFX. For many years STMP had an entry in the Guinness Book Of Records as the highest budget movie ever made!

Several excellent making of books covered some of the background on the production elements. Paramount wanted their own Star Wars. Gene Roddenberry wanted above all else some of his discarded new TV series ideas. The entire film was made under immense time pressures. But the end results are still to this day unmatched on many levels :thumbsup:

Amazon product

I really enjoyed Walter Koenig's take on it's making. It's a very entertaining read seeing the production from his point of view.

0671832867.jpg

Bri

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The only one of the films being released again of interest to me is the second film, Wrath of Khan. Are the titles going to be sold separately, does anyone know?

4K UHD Fan

I really enjoyed Walter Koenig's take on it's making. It's a very entertaining read seeing the production from his point of view.

View attachment 1548479

Bri
Still have that one read it back when it first came out. Its a slightly humours non PR take on things from his perspective as the unknown (apart from Star Trek) bit player!

There is a more detailed book about the behind the scenes effects company & movie production politics. No pictures in it whatsoever it was blocked from publishing for over 30 years by Paramount but eventually escaped their clutches!!
Amazon product

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I love TMP and maybe it was just because I went straight from watching the reruns of the original show on television to being amazed by Douglas Trumbull’s special effects work on the big screen but it had a sense of epic that none of the sequels ever managed.

I remember watching TMP as a kid and liking it but loving Wrath much more.

However...as with Alien and Aliens, time has an effect and now I like TMP and Wrath just the same. In fact TMP might edge it...

Indiana Jones

The only one of the films being released again of interest to me is the second film, Wrath of Khan. Are the titles going to be sold separately, does anyone know?
Nothing announced for September in the UK but you can be sure they will all be available separately eventually along with steelbooks and any other bundle they can think up.

Indiana Jones

Seems like the updates of the digital copies have started on iTunes, they have upgraded the HD version of The Motion Picture to a new remaster which apparently has also had digital tweaks.

Indiana Jones

Sadly the tweaks are a bit botched and there are signs of some nasty DNR, really hope this is just an issue with the HD streaming option and the UHD won’t suffer these issues.

rulocal

Distinguished Member

Indiana Jones

What is the UK release date? I've seen nothing definitive for the UK.
Been available to pre-order from all the usual places (Amazon/HMV/Zavvi) for weeks now.

Indiana Jones

I have to wonder if this has been delayed as the September 6th date seems to have been removed from HMV, Amazon, Zavvi etc

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp