Star Trek: The Original 4-Film Collection 4K UHD

RedDevil85

Distinguished Member
Link: Amazon.co.uk - Deff.com - HMV - Zavvi

Release date: 06/09/2021

ST_O4MC_4K.jpg

ST_O4MC_4K (full_set).jpg

For the first time ever, experience the original four Star Trek films in stunning 4K Ultra HD. Newly remastered from original elements for optimal picture quality, each film is presented with Dolby Vision® and HDR-10.* This exceptional collection includes four Ultra HD discs, as well as four remastered Blu-ray discs with hours of previously released bonus content. Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (both the theatrical and director’s cut), Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home are presented on both the 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray Discs.

Last edited:

movieman1866

Seems an odd choice to release a boxset of the first 4 movies, I would have expected a boxset for the first 6 and then another for the Picard movies. Although this could be a very good move, it keeps the cost down and if I was looking to get the movies individually on UHD I'd want these 4 and First Contact.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Love the Voyage Home (non Star Trek Fan here). Be nice to have a 4K of that. The rest, meh.

4K UHD Fan

Weird as Paramount are still thinking about STMP 4K UHD due to the massive cost of redoing it for 4K! Can only be the theatrical edition (that would be fine with me as long as it looks like Paramount's other recent 4K releases-they are getting pretty good at this now!).

Also, ST6 we know Nick Meyer supervised a 4K UHD transfer same time he did ST2 back in 2016 @ Technicolour as he tweeted about it then! Bizarre its not included as already in 4K just not released outside of Japan HDTV broadcast's!

Indiana Jones

Weird as Paramount are still thinking about STMP 4K UHD due to the massive cost of redoing it for 4K! Can only be the theatrical edition (that would be fine with me as long as it looks like Paramount's other recent 4K releases-they are getting pretty good at this now!).

Also, ST6 we know Nick Meyer supervised a 4K UHD transfer same time he did ST2 back in 2016 @ Technicolour as he tweeted about it then! Bizarre its not included as already in 4K just not released outside of Japan HDTV broadcast's!

I don't ever recall reading he supervisied a 4K transfer of STVI? I do remember reading about when he did the last 4K remaster of Wrath of Khan that he also supervisied an HDR grade but that has yet to see the light of day.

Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg and in time they will announce a1-10 4K UHD boxset containing new 4K restorations/remasters which I am sure will be priced around £200 but bring it on I say :clap: these have been badly treated on Blu-ray, still can't believe they have been recycling the same old discs from 2009 (bar Wrath of Khan)

4K UHD Fan

I don't ever recall reading he supervisied a 4K transfer of STVI? I do remember reading about when he did the last 4K remaster of Wrath of Khan that he also supervisied an HDR grade but that has yet to see the light of day.

Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg and in time they will announce a1-10 4K UHD boxset containing new 4K restorations/remasters which I am sure will be priced around £200 but bring it on I say :clap: these have been badly treated on Blu-ray, still can't believe they have been recycling the same old discs from 2009 (bar Wrath of Khan)
Yep Nick mentioned it on his facebook page talked about it being for a japanese HDTV broadcaster I believe around the same time as he did the ST2 4K @ Technicolour but since then no mention of it!!

mark6226

Are these going to be proper 4k encodes?
I believe that so far only the wrath of Kahn has been given a 4k encode.

Or will these be another substandard European 1080p upscale just as rollerball, serpico etc are.

I definitely get the proper 4k bluray boxset even though I only really like movies 2,3,4,6.

But I'll pass on any upscale.

Indiana Jones

Are these going to be proper 4k encodes?
I believe that so far only the wrath of Kahn has been given a 4k encode.

Or will these be another substandard European 1080p upscale just as rollerball, serpico etc are.

I definitely get the proper 4k bluray boxset even though I only really like movies 2,3,4,6.

But I'll pass on any upscale.
When they eventually see the light of day they will be proper 4K remasters, these are a 100% Paramount owned product and nothing they put out will be a half measure unlike those films put out by small companies for local releases.

varkanoid

Just read this and a little bit of wee seeped out.

Be interesting if STMP is the extended/directors/fixed/story makes more sense version and whether ST Wrath of Kahn is the Directors cut. Hopefully it will be. Not bothered about ST III except it ties up the ST WoK story but STVI is a guilty pleasure.

Would love to see ST First Contact in 4k the blu ray is pretty stunning.

ah just read the Bill Hunt interview and ST 1/2 will be Directors editions in 4k. The latter is already 4k on Apple TV.

Indiana Jones

Yea you can buy the 4K HDR version of The Wrath of Khan Directors Edition on iTunes for £7.99 and recently a UHD version of First Contact has appeared on Rakuten but no idea if that is an upscale or a proper remaster, will probably pay the £3.49 and rent it to see what it actually is.

mark6226

When they eventually see the light of day they will be proper 4K remasters, these are a 100% Paramount owned product and nothing they put out will be a half measure unlike those films put out by small companies for local releases.
Thanks. So it's an official release then.

Brilliant. This will definitely be on my list.

I'm surprised that the news of this release has attracted such little attention from the forums 4k bluray fans.

St 2,3,4 and 6 and absolutely brilliant films and should be on any true 4k bluray fans sci-fi list.

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Thanks. So it's an official release then.

Brilliant. This will definitely be on my list.

I'm surprised that the news of this release has attracted such little attention from the forums 4k bluray fans.

St 2,3,4 and 6 and absolutely brilliant films and should be on any true 4k bluray fans sci-fi list.
Nothing has been confirmed yet but any release of these films on UHD will be by Paramount so no half baked HD upscale they will do them properly or not at all.

mark6226

Nothing has been confirmed yet but any release of these films on UHD will be by Paramount so no half baked HD upscale they will do them properly or not at all.
It gets better and better.

Thanks for the update. Can't wait for the release.

Indiana Jones

Not specifically related to this but it came to my attention the other week that First Contact was now available to rent/buy on Rakuten in UHD, this is the first film besides Wrath of Khan to be made available in 4K and having just watched it I have to say it looked pretty damn good and far better than the Blu-Ray so here’s hoping before the end of the year all 10 Trek films make an appearance.

Last edited:

kungfuman

i've been looking forward to updating my trek movies to 4k but if this is only 1-4 then i'll probably pass.

SceneMissing

I wonder how they will package these. If they're only starting with the first four it would be nice if they are individually cased within a box set slipcase given how odd it feels to split up the original series cast films.

4K UHD Fan

1-4 first is they want to see how demand is before doing the other movies apparently. ST6 already has a 4K transfer supervised by Nick Meyer when he supervised ST2 4K weird its not available still!

Paramount are probably not even aware of its existence......!

Glenn Keen

It does seem an odd choice to do a boxset of just the first 4 films. You could understand a box set of the first 6 films, and then if that sold OK, a second one of the remaining 4.

Lets face it most of us either want a boxset with all 10 films in, or them all available on their own.

4K UHD Fan

Think its because 5-6-7 will be sold together then to get people to buy 9+10 they are holding 8 hostage otherwise low 3 figure sales!!

Indiana Jones

Great news :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Apple unveils MacBook Pros for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple launches third generation AirPods with spatial audio
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier