Star Trek: The Next Generation Movie Collection Blu-ray Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Simon Crust, 24th September 2009
Hot on the heels of the Original series films, the Next Generation comes bursting onto Blu-ray at warp speed! Each film has it particular merits and some with a few negatives. Over time though, and somewhat out of context now, these films have certainly aged very well, if anything, and perhaps, somewhat controversially, First Contact now seems the most dated in terms of it’s Trek Law, while Nemesis appears to be more exciting. The Next Gen crew prove that they can hold their own on the Big Screen and continue to ‘boldly go’.

As a Blu-ray set, Paramount has once again provided us with a blistering package. The re-mastering of each film has been handled with care and attention and has brought to life these films like never before. Ok, the digital grain reduction may irk some, but when the results are this good, I’m not complaining. The sound too is ear shatteringly good and it is all backed up by a whole host of newly recorded extra material, some is a bit fluffy, but the willing is there and goes to show that Trek is still a force to be reckoned with. This set comes highly recommended!

Read the full review...

Dracutus

Well, everybody's different, and I always thought ST Generations was the best of the bunch. I dont think that the handing over the baton thing was entirely succesfull, but everything else was just brill. I especially liked the human emotion chip given to Data, and the way that it plays havoc with his brain, fist mania, and then deep depression, so much so that he begs for it to be removed. Thought the last one the weakest, very plain for anyone to see that the series desperatlely required a reboot.

sutton8

Novice Member
I only hope the BD set is not like the "slimline" DVD set. A good deal of the scenes were cut out. Hence the difference in price between the slimlines and the full DVD's I suppose.

IAN P

Novice Member
I only hope the BD set is not like the "slimline" DVD set. A good deal of the scenes were cut out. Hence the difference in price between the slimlines and the full DVD's I suppose.

If you mean features(not scenes) they're all the same as the larger boxes, apparently.

Think there would've been a lot of complaints otherwise.

Last edited:

sutton8

Novice Member
If you mean features(not scenes) they're all the same as the larger boxes, apparently.

Think there would've been a lot of complaints otherwise.
In that case both sets must have been edited from how they were originally shown. Because I could remember various bits that were shown on TV that did not make it to DVD. I own the slimline versions of the Voyager, Enterprise, NG, DS9, and Original Series and at various points they seem to be cutdown.