Star Trek the Motion Picture

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk 2, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reasons for the delays in the region 1 ST:TMP DVD seem to be legal and administrative. E.G

1.) Mad as it may seem, Paramount do not have total rights control. Particularly over the theatrical trailer.

2.) A documentary on the making of the movie is being "re-edited" by Paramount exec's because it alledgedly "gives away too much inside info on movie making". More like it shows them up in a bad light.

3.) There is still elements "missing". I.E scenes shot but mysteriously spirited away from their respective archives.

Anyway, whatever the truth, it's going to be a while before this one gets sorted and reaches the streets.

2. pavlos

pavlos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can you please let me know if the Star Trek the Motion Picture is available on DVD, I have done a search on Amazon.com and I got a list of the rest of the Star Trek movies but not the first one(Star Trek the Motion Picture)

Thanks in Advance

Pavlos

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Pavlos,

As far as I know, ST:TMP isn't yet available anywhere, on DVD.

Paramount may be releasing it by the end of 2001, over on an R1 DVD, but don't hold your breath.

Pooch

4. pavlos

pavlos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys thanks for the replies so far, actually I was told that they will releasing the movie in December 2001 the same time will be realising the last of the star Trek originals series on dvd, if that happens it will be cool, i will complete my collection of all the original Star trek series dvds and the movies as well..

[ 22-06-2001: Message edited by: pavlos ]

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Dirk,

You said that: "2.) A documentary on the making of the movie is being "re-edited" by Paramount exec's because it allegedly "gives away too much inside info on movie making". More like it shows them up in a bad light."

How can any documentary of a movie, give-away TOO much about the behind-the-scenes info, on a film made in 1979?! WHat the hell do Paramount think they are playing at?! Jeez!!! Sooner or later, it'll be like that Sinn Fein/IRA chappie, Gerry Adams. We could see him on TV, but they had to overdub his voice!

If Paramount have their way, we'd still see a "making of" documentary, but there'll be no audio-commentary, just in case we viewers get to hear too much inside information, and end up trying to convert our living rooms into the bridge of the Enterprise!

It all sounds like a lot of phaser-fungus to me! Major cop-out from Paramount!

Pooch

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229

yes and its supposedly a restored director's edition with recomped VFX and additional scenes that are closer to the version that Robert Wise wanted it to be originally ( ie a bit more mysterious and 2001ish)

May still be poo mind

7. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Read this on The Digital Bits:
    In other news, sources are telling us to expect Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition to street in the first week of November (for more on what to expect on the disc, click this link at Star Trek.com).

8. lalorm

lalorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Star Trek:TMP will be like Star Wars Special edition. It'll have a load of new digital shots, but nothing too major. Just little things like a reflection of the enterprise on the shuttle's windscreen as kirk and party get closer to the enterprise for the first time at the start of the film. Also V'ger is being slightly redone.

Mike.

-------------------------------------
    Ever dance with the Devil in the Pale moonlight?

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229

Well I'd assume they'll pull the original shot elements out the vault and recomp all the effects shots digitally plus any straight shots that require restoration. Similarly to what was done on Superman. Still a fairly hefty job.

10. sandi

sandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Street date of 1st November has been announced from Paramount, with the Next Generation season box sets and Deep Space 9s not now looking to come through until early next year.

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Live long and prosper. V

[ 30-06-2001: Message edited by: BadAss ]