Star Trek The Motion Picture HD.

I didn't bother with the Motion Picture, but II, III and IV recorded fine. Just watched II and agree it needs more work before a Blu Ray release, not too bad though for a (relatively) low budget film from 1982. Nice to see it was the 2002 Directors Cut though. Also going to record VI tomorrow to see which version and what aspect ratio it is.

I believe that the effects for the Directors Edition of The Motion Picture were never completed at HD resolution, which probably explains why this version of the film wasn't shown. Hopefully that will be rectified before a Blu Ray release - which hopefully will arrive around the time of the new film next year.

Well, I have ST:TMP at 693 minutes!! Basically, it has recorded all 5 films in one slot! Good job Sky... :clap:

Captains log - stardate 080408...recorded Star Trek VI and it seems to be mighty fine indeed. Superb picture and the sound seems to be spot on. However, I seem to recall that this movie was made in some strange aspect ratio to take in the subtitles for the Klingon dialogue - this seems to be in 1.85:1.

Star Trek VII however seems to be a different kettle of fish...whilst the PQ is pretty spot on, the sound is all over the place again with the dialogue coming from the front right channel...

Could this be some Sky TV conspiracy to show the viewer which are the good films and which are the bad...?

Kirk out...

:D:lease::oops::suicide:

Guess I got lucky - all 9 movies recorded fine. Watching TMP now - picture quality variable, but mostly pretty impressive in HD. Shame it isn't the directors cut though - which is a much better movie.

One thing - what about Nemesis? I know it's :boring: but, you know, for completeness.....

Now where can I get a decent 1TB drive - as I've got virtually no space on my 500GB drive now!

Defo cocked the sound on all of these. The dialogue was coming from the front right channel - but the SD screenings were fine...

:thumbsdow

what they have done is they flagged a dolby surround as dolby digita 5.1 l, if you check the sd showing although it says dolby digital its only dolby stereo and your amp will pick it up and use prologic processing to give 5.1. If you go to the settings menu on your hd box and switch off dolby digital it will then give you the proper dolby stereo soundtrack. However i dont know why they are not dolby digital as the dvd had a dolby digital track.

2HD has been doing this for a few months now, why I have no idea. Everything (even adverts) are sent as DD5.1. Not a problem on 1HD.

As for the movies... the 1-6 were relatively decent transfers I suppose but quite varied (6 looks pretty good in places), 7/generations is shocking, worst EE I've ever seen on a HD transfer, 8/first contact is decent but not amazing, ditto with 9/insurrection.

All in all Paramount need to go back to the drawing board on most if not all of these.

2HD has been doing this for a few months now, why I have no idea. Everything (even adverts) are sent as DD5.1. Not a problem on 1HD.

As for the movies... the 1-6 were relatively decent transfers I suppose but quite varied (6 looks pretty good in places), 7/generations is shocking, worst EE I've ever seen on a HD transfer, 8/first contact is decent but not amazing, ditto with 9/insurrection.

All in all Paramount need to go back to the drawing board on most if not all of these.

Finally, Generations was shocking. I started a thread about that and everyone said the picture was brilliant, the best of the films so far. I also agree Contact was acceptable, but nothing outstanding. I didn't watch Insurrection.

It's very disappointing that the sound on the new movies was only DS. Bad show Sky:thumbsdow

I doubt that if Sky reshows them that they will ever broadcast them in DD:mad:

It's very disappointing that the sound on the new movies was only DS. Bad show Sky:thumbsdow

I doubt that if Sky reshows them that they will ever broadcast them in DD:mad:

Some were in DD, Kahn and 1 other.

However some of the masters were only Stereo as the titels said Stereo where available, even the later films such as V.

Some were in DD, Kahn and 1 other.

However some of the masters were only Stereo as the titels said Stereo where available, even the later films such as V.

They were all remastered to DD. As for Kakn, it did seem to be DD5.1 but back speakers did not have much separation, sounded like surround sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom