Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Edition / Original 4-Film Collection 4K UHD

Buckster666

Had this set for Xmas, started on TWOK, as wanted to watch the Genesis Trilogy first, which to be fair is what this box set should have been, given we are getting TMP updated director's edition, they should have saved the theatrical cut for that release, so it could be like Blade Runner with multiple cuts.

They never will, but they should given Shanter some resource to make a director's cut of TFF, would interesting to see a cut with decent special effects and additional footage to make the best version possible.

TUD will hopefully include both cuts as well.

Clock'd 0ne

Bear in mind that some areas of the films will never be able to be improved much if at all if they have optical effects, which are generally best left alone rather than toyed with to try to clean them up. I don't have the set but I can imagine these are the problematic scenes for people as overall I've only read very solid glowing reviews of all the discs (with TWOK receiving the highest praise).

Indiana Jones

Had this set for Xmas, started on TWOK, as wanted to watch the Genesis Trilogy first, which to be fair is what this box set should have been, given we are getting TMP updated director's edition, they should have saved the theatrical cut for that release, so it could be like Blade Runner with multiple cuts.

They never will, but they should given Shanter some resource to make a director's cut of TFF, would interesting to see a cut with decent special effects and additional footage to make the best version possible.

TUD will hopefully include both cuts as well.
I expect their 5-7 set (if that is what they end up doing) will include two versions of TUC with each on its own disc to help justify the price of a 3 film set costing £80 haha

The_Wierd

I expect their 5-7 set (if that is what they end up doing) will include two versions of TUC with each on its own disc to help justify the price of a 3 film set costing £80 haha
I don't know why, but I just have a sinking feeling that the remaining movies aren't going to get 4K disc releases. Just feels like they would have announced something already if that was going to happen. The launch of Paramount+ has changed the game I suspect, and they may hold back the best versions of these for the streaming service, or not even remaster in 4K at all.

The whole pattern of 4K disc releases is baffling to me, with utter junk being released on 4K, and genuine classics, or at least well-loved movies like these getting passed over. Was anyone crying out for a 4K disc of dead-end sequel Terminator Genisys (a Paramount disc, incidentally) when the original is still not available in 4K?

Indiana Jones

I don't know why, but I just have a sinking feeling that the remaining movies aren't going to get 4K disc releases. Just feels like they would have announced something already if that was going to happen. The launch of Paramount+ has changed the game I suspect, and they may hold back the best versions of these for the streaming service, or not even remaster in 4K at all.

The whole pattern of 4K disc releases is baffling to me, with utter junk being released on 4K, and genuine classics, or at least well-loved movies like these getting passed over. Was anyone crying out for a 4K disc of dead-end sequel Terminator Genisys (a Paramount disc, incidentally) when the original is still not available in 4K?
I suspect they already have 4K remasters completed (First Contact has been available on Roku for months) and without a doubt they will appear on Paramount+ but something is definitely up in regards to the UHDs.

Perhaps they will just wait until TMP DE is ready and after its exclusivity period is over put out the rest in a super duper set and make that they only way to get them, you know a big middle finger to the early adopters lol

The_Wierd

How would Paramount influence the release of a movie that they don't have the rights for?
Of course I'm not saying that they have anything to do with other studios, more talking about the industry as whole. In the case of that movie, Paramount still released it before much more desirable movies in their own catalogue, which makes me feel like they are holding back the 'good stuff' for the streaming service, and that other companies are doing the same.

Indiana Jones

Of course I'm not saying that they have anything to do with other studios, more talking about the industry as whole. In the case of that movie, Paramount still released it before much more desirable movies in their own catalogue, which makes me feel like they are holding back the 'good stuff' for the streaming service, and that other companies are doing the same.
When it comes to The Terminator I think we all know who we are waiting on to approve its 4K release and he is deep into Pandora right now lol

4K UHD Fan

Genisys though they had the rights to and new releases are easy to master for 4K UHD! They need minimal prep from the movie master file!

4K UHD Fan

I suspect they already have 4K remasters completed (First Contact has been available on Roku for months) and without a doubt they will appear on Paramount+ but something is definitely up in regards to the UHDs.

Perhaps they will just wait until TMP DE is ready and after its exclusivity period is over put out the rest in a super duper set and make that they only way to get them, you know a big middle finger to the early adopters lol
I think 5-7 will come on 4K UHD disc it will be announced in Feb most likely for May-Jun release. Paramount are still supporting 4K Discs quite well it will also come to their + service but as that is not readily available outside US for a while they have to keep the discs flowing also !!!

Indiana Jones

Yummy Yummy :)

Theatrical UHD
tmp old.jpg

The Directors Edition UHD
tmp new.jpg

Seems they have been doing the TNG HD Remaster method of going back to the individual elements and re-compositing the shots, all that detail that has never been seen before due to generational lose will now be there :)

varkanoid

Glad I waited and didnt go with the box set now.

varkanoid

When it comes to The Terminator I think we all know who we are waiting on to approve its 4K release and he is deep into Pandora right now lol
and Aliens, and The Abyss.....

Indiana Jones

Glad I waited and didnt go with the box set now.
I have no regrets, got each film for less than a tenner and enjoyed the hell out of them but no doubt once a complete 1-10 set is released I will sell up and buy that as I did several times on DVD and Blu-ray lol

I am just really glad they are going all out on this remaster, there was a lot of talk about them just taking the Theatrical cut transfer (warts and all) and just adding the extra bits in but knowing they are going back to the individual elements and re-composting non DE shots gives me high hopes this will end up looking unbelievably good.

nwgarratt

I got goosebumps watching that trailer. I don't have 4K but I would be happy to buy that as long as

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Damn those new effect shots are gorgeous, very happy to replace the Theatrical UHD disc from my set with this when it's available later in the year (hopefully alongside 5-10)

Buckster666

Wasn't sure where to post this but the trailer for the DC of TMP went live yesterday then Paramount pulled it but here is a reupload from Twitter.

This is only streaming on P+ to begin with, UHD expected 6 or soish months after. But boy it looks good.

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it and to what are the additional changes have been made since the previous directors edition dvd

mikemag

Distinguished Member
Easiest quintuple dip I’m gonna make for a long time, that looks stunning.

Indiana Jones

April 5th too, wonder if they might drop the remaining films in 4K on that day too :lease:

KBD

We stopped at the biggest Best Buy in the area yesterday:

PXL_20220321_174635767.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-M20xBT wireless headphones