1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

star trek - special eds - expensive yes!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Andy Godfrey, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain to me why the 2 disk sets of the Star Trek movies are always so expensive. I need First Contact and Insurrection to complete my set - but they are coming on Play and other websites at around when £17 - 18. I recently bought the 2 disk set of Phantom of the opera for £11.99 of the net. Guess its best to wait a while till they reach the bargain bins! :mad:

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    They shouldnt be that expensive. I got the R1 editions for under 15 dollars. Thats only about 7 or 8 quid.

By the way. Nemesis is also coming out as a special edition. THEN you will have a complete collection.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,918
    New releases are always expensive in the UK, best thing to do is wait 2/3 months then you should be able to pick them up for £10 or less.

You can pickup Star Trek 1-7 for £6.99 or less and First Contact is £13.99 from CDWow (using £1 voucher) and you can pre-order Insurrection for £12.99 (using voucher) so even though they are more expensive than the R1 release they are not too bad.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
  6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,082
    Got 7, 8 & 9 for about £5/6 from DVD Soon. That was when they delivered though!

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Indiana’s advice is sound – I never buy dvd’s when first released anymore.

8. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I agree. I've bought all my Star Trek SE's at £6.99.

I use http://www.find-dvd.co.uk price check facility to email me when the price drops to £6.99 :lesson:

9. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info guys. Did you know that HMV are selling the Special ed of First Contact for £24.99 - in MVC it was 17.99. Daylight robbery. Agree its best to wait.

10. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at the region 1 disk of Nemesis - whats the difference between that and the existing disk? May as well keep the one I've got!

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Not sure although It will have DTS sound and maybe the deleted scenes as seemless branching to make an exteneded addition. Also there were a few scenes that did not make the film . These may or maynot be avalable on the new special edition, along with the deleted scenes that are already on the first disc.

Nemesis was to have been the first Star Trek film to feature the character of Wesley Crusher (played by actor Wil Wheaton). However, his scenes were almost entirely cut from the film, leaving only a brief cameo during the wedding scene, in which he has no dialogue.

12. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure that Wesly missing is a bad thing! Thanks for info though. Just finished watching the Special Ed of First Contact - the best trek movie anyone? The dvd is great though.

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

The best Trek movie ever is star trek 2 the wrath of khan :D

More info on nemesis from digital bits .com.

Some Star Trek news for you today... Paramount has revealed the DVD specs for their upcoming Star Trek: Nemesis - Special Collector's Edition. The 2-disc set will include anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio, audio commentary with director Stuart Baird, audio commentary with producer Rick Berman, text commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda, 7 Production featurettes (including Nemesis Revisited, New Frontiers: Stuart Baird on Directing Nemesis, Storyboarding the Action, Red Alert! Shooting the Action of Nemesis, Build and Rebuild, Four-Wheeling in the Final Frontier and Shinzon Screen Test), 3 Star Trek Universe featurettes (including A Star Trek Family's Final Journey, A Bold Vision of the Final Frontier and The Enterprise E), 5 Romulan Empire featurettes (including Romulan Lore, Shinzon & the Viceroy, Romulan Design, The Romulan Senate and The Scimitar), 7 deleted scenes (including Wesley's New Mission, Data and B-4, The Chance for Peace, A Loss of Self, Remember Him? (Extended Version), Cleaning out Data's Quarters and Crusher at Starfleet Medical), an Archives section (featuring storyboards, production and prop photos) and the film's teaser and theatrical trailers. We also expect the disc to include 3 Easter eggs featurettes. This re-release seems to include all of the featurettes from the previous DVD release, but at least some of the deleted scenes may be different, so it's possible that you'll have to keep the original release to retain all of the extras. We'll try to let you know as soon as we can whether or not this is true.

Dave.

14. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Yeah - trek 2 is the best movie for sure. Anyone out there like the Motion Picture? I dont think it was all that bad.

15. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    CDWow have the R2 First Contact S.E. for £8.99 - just ordered one myself.

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,918
    Nice one, been looking for somewhere to offer the UK release for less than £10 and CDWow have done it again, just hope they honor the order and that the price isnt a mistake as it is quite low for such a new release.