Star Trek: Prodigy (Netflix) Season 2 (2024)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Nickelodeon has green lit a new animated ‘Star Trek’ series for younger generations

not the same as Star Trek: Lower Decks (Animated Series)

Kevin and Dan Hageman (Trollhunters, Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu) will be talking the helm on this series, along with Eye Animation Productions (CBS’ new animation arm), Secret Hideout, and Roddenberry Entertainment. Executive Vice President of Animation Production and Developement at Nickelodeon Ramsey Naito will oversee the show.

“Star Trek, Nickelodeon, and the state of animation are doing incredibly ambitious things as of late. We couldn’t be more excited to jump aboard,” the Hagemans said in a statement to Variety.

Alex Kurtzman, the overseer of all things Trek for CBS TV (for at least the next 5 years), said:

“Star Trek’s mission is to inspire generations of dreamers to build a brighter future. Dan and Kevin have crafted a story that honors its exploratory spirit in a way that’s never been done before, while the Nickelodeon team blew us away with their excitement at bringing Trek to a younger generation around the world.”

Star Trek: Below Decks was given a two-season order by CBS All Access, and is reportedly in development now.

Don’t know anything about the show but assuming it’s set after Voyager returned home should that not be Admiral Janeway? or am I being too nit-picky lol

Don’t know anything about the show but assuming it’s set after Voyager returned home should that not be Admiral Janeway? or am I being too nit-picky lol
Agreed she was premoted soon after she returned from the delta quadrant. And if Kate the lead she going to be a lot older than when Voyager returned so cant say the story's are between her return home and promotion, unless they do what they did to Kirks premotion.

I think it's just that most people know her as Captain as that is what she was in the show rather then forgetting or retconning.

Oh I am sure that’s the case (7 years as Captain vs a minute of being an Admiral in Nemesis) just being picky lol

Looks more Guardians of the Galaxy than Star Trek. Let me guess, they are all going to be a bunch of misfits and mavericks who don't fit in with the rest of Starfleet?

Why the need for a 'kids show' anyway. Kids were always capable of enjoying and comprehending regular Star Trek; at least they were, until Kurtzman decided to fill all the modern shows with violence, dumbed-down action and profanity.

I should probably wait before rushing to judgement, but this showrunner has so far failed to deliver three times in a row and I cant wait for his 5 year mission contract to expire.

Looks more Guardians of the Galaxy than Star Trek. Let me guess, they are all going to be a bunch of misfits and mavericks who don't fit in with the rest of Starfleet?

Why the need for a 'kids show' anyway. Kids were always capable of enjoying and comprehending regular Star Trek; at least they were, until Kurtzman decided to fill all the modern shows with violence, dumbed-down action and profanity.

I should probably wait before rushing to judgement, but this showrunner has so far failed to deliver three times in a row and I cant wait for his 5 year mission contract to expire.
They did it with Avengers Earth Mightiest Hero's which I think was loved across all age groups which got the characters more or less 100% right then canceled it for Avengers Assembled where all the characters acted like they were big kids and braggards.

They did it with Avengers Earth Mightiest Hero's which I think was loved across all age groups which got the characters more or less 100% right then canceled it for Avengers Assembled where all the characters acted like they were big kids and braggards.
EMH was so good and did some really iconic stories (better than the comics in the case of Secret Invasion). Such an kick in the nuts to have it replaced by Avengers Assembled.

I'm open to ST: Prodigy being good. Nick have a really good track record with pitching the tone just right for these things.

It's a kids show, it's aimed at a specific market to get them hooked on the Trek train from a young age.

When I was a kid hardly anyone I knew watched Trek, so yes while kids could enjoy TOS and the later shows, the majority of kids thought it was geeky.
As in toy market.

I remember when the did a Lou Grant episode and went to someone's house that died and found they read comics and thought it geeky.
I cant rember when I went to school anyone would thing ST geeky though, think they be in the school yard swopping ST bubble gum cards if they had been any.

They would have swapped Star Wars bubble gum, I remember taking my cousin who is just a year younger then me to see Generations, at the beginning of the movie he outright told me he felt uncomfortable there and I asked him why and he said because of all the geeks.

I can think of one person in primary school that watched Trek and in high school I can't think of anyone that ever talked about watching Star Trek and this was during the TNG/DS9 era.

They would have swapped Star Wars bubble gum, I remember taking my cousin who is just a year younger then me to see Generations, at the beginning of the movie he outright told me he felt uncomfortable there and I asked him why and he said because of all the geeks.

I can think of one person in primary school that watched Trek and in high school I can't think of anyone that ever talked about watching Star Trek and this was during the TNG/DS9 era.

It's true that Star trek has niche (or 'geek') appeal, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not every franchise needs to have it's edges chiselled off in order to appeal to the masses. Let us geeks have something. Introducing kids to star trek is great, but if you have to completely change what trek is in order to do so, then what's the point?

Also that niche was never defined by age. Trek could be enjoyed by everybody, old and young. That was a fundamental of the storytelling. Families could watch it. There was never a need for a kids version, nor an edgy, profane version to appeal to hipsters who think they're too cool for school.

I still remember (just about) in the late 70s/early 80s wearing red or gold jumpers with a foil Starfleet insignia, and a luminous displayed calculator that I pretended was a tricorder.

Really I remember swapping Man From UNCLE cards and that more I would say less watchable than the original series. Think anything sci fi or horror was a big thing. If someone brought a Famous Monsters of Filmland to school you gave a large group peering over there shoulder.
As for one at primary school it could go over there heads with the politics of later ST but when I was at primary school was watch in adult series and enjoying, heck even watched Quatermass and the Pit.

Really I remember swapping Man From UNCLE cards and that more I would say less watchable than the original series. Think anything sci fi or horror was a big thing. If someone brought a Famous Monsters of Filmland to school you gave a large group peering over there shoulder.
As for one at primary school it could go over there heads with the politics of later ST but when I was at primary school was watch in adult series and enjoying, heck even watched Quatermass and the Pit.
You are showing your age here, when I was in Primary school TOS had long since been gone, the playground was all about Transformers, Mask, Star Wars, the A team, Knight Rider etc. In Highschool no one was interested in Trek, the odd person watched Quantum Leap, some folks did watch some of the US sitcoms, I remember X-Files was huge.

Both Disney and Netflix are pouring millions into kids programming, it only makes sense for Paramount+ to do the same. From a strategic point of view it makes total sense to have a show based at a kids audience, todays audience with the reach of the internet is very different from the 70s and 80s. Kids would rather watch their favourite content creator on Youtube then a TV show.

Yes, it is abiding by the law that all animation projects must now feature Jason Mantzoukas:
  • Rok-Tahk (Rylee Alazraqui) “a Brikar and an unusually bright eight-year-old girl. Rok is a bit shy, but not when it comes to her love for animals.”
  • Dal (Brett Gray) “17 years old and an unknown species, he fancies himself a maverick, who even in the toughest times, holds strong onto his unwavering hope.”
  • Zero (Angus Imrie) “is a Medusan: a noncorporeal, genderless, energy-based lifeform. Since others would go mad at the sight of their true self, Zero wears a containment suit they made themselves to protect others.”
  • Jankom Pog (Jason Mantzouka) “a 16-year-old Tellarite. Tellarites are known to relish an argument, and Jankom is no different. Regardless of opinion, he will always play ‘devil’s advocate’ for the sake of hearing all sides.”
  • Gwyn (Ella Purnell) “a 17-year-old Vau N’Akat who was raised on her father’s bleak mining planet and grew up dreaming to explore the stars.”
  • Murf (Dee Bradley Baker) “age and species is unknown but who is an endearing, indestructible blob with curiously good timing and an insatiable appetite for ship parts.”
1623768811883.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom