Star Trek: Play and Help Thread

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out today :smashin:

Just received my copy from Tesco, going to give it a blast at lunchtime and hopefully its not as bad as the CVG review made it sound.

Post up some views when you've had a play, chaps. It got a distinctly average review from Eurogamer, whom I generally find myself agreeing with.

I'll be interested to see how the plot justifies sending a Federation starship captain and his XO on a mission turning them effectively into infantrymen! :D

It's surprising that there haven't been more Star Trek games over the years. I vaguely remember playing one on the ST (or it may have been Amiga), and then a TNG game in the early days of PCs when my 486 DX25 was pretty cutting edge, and then the starship combat early in the 360's days - but that's not many given the size of the franchise.

Post up some views when you've had a play, chaps. It got a distinctly average review from Eurogamer, whom I generally find myself agreeing with.

I'll be interested to see how the plot justifies sending a Federation starship captain and his XO on a mission turning them effectively into infantrymen! :D

It's surprising that there haven't been more Star Trek games over the years. I vaguely remember playing one on the ST (or it may have been Amiga), and then a TNG game in the early days of PCs when my 486 DX25 was pretty cutting edge, and then the starship combat early in the 360's days - but that's not many given the size of the franchise.

There have been quite a few over the years, just a few that I have...

Star Trek Bridge Commander
Star Trek Armada 1 & 2
Star Trek Hidden Evil
Star Trek New Worlds
Star Trek Away Team
Star Trek Borg
Star Trek Starfleet Academy
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
Star Trek Elite Force 2
Star Trek Starfleet Command
Star Trek DS9 Dominion Wars
Star Trek DS9 Harbinger
Star Trek DS9 The Fallen

Anyway back to the new game, just played it for 30 minutes and a lot of that was cut scenes with the odd hacking puzzle and the familiar cover/move sequences but certainly looks good and having all the actors from the film do the voices certainly helps add to the experience.

The point and click adventure games where very good, esp 25th Anniversary but I also enjoyed the TNG one which I believe was "final unity"

Cant help thinking that this game would have been better off following suit and being done by the Walking Dead guys

Is it just a Gears if War clone ?

The point and click adventure games where very good, esp 25th Anniversary but I also enjoyed the TNG one which I believe was "final unity"

Cant help thinking that this game would have been better off following suit and being done by the Walking Dead guys

Is it just a Gears if War clone ?

If by that you mean you run to cover and shoot over it at the bad guys then yes but you did the same in Mass Effect.

I finished it last night. Longer than I expected, but the last level was a bit repetitive. I'd give it a 6.5 personally.

The low points were the long section where you're zapping each other across the outside of the base (fun mechanic, but there was no dialogue for that part, I felt a bit disconnected from the game during it) and the last level was a bit samey.

Also, the ending...
the abruptness wasn't too bad, the Captain's Log after the credits worked fine, but there could have been a bit more fanfare and celebration in the dialogue and music before the credits roll. I like how it ties in to the start of Into Darkness.

The graphics are fine I think, just need some polish in some cutscenes, particularly with Bones where his mouth moved quite badly and with Chekov on the screen. I thought I would be distracted by the texture pop-up in the cutscenes, but it wasn't in all of them and you start to not notice it anyway.

The gameplay was a bit bland. Solid, but wearing after a while. Well basically, the whole game has rough edges, which is a shame. Cool moments like the skydiving are just cut off with no style at all, just a "good luck Captain!" for example and then a fade out... some sort of "Objective Completed' text in the corner would have been nice just to prepare you for the cut to the next loading screen/cutscene, even if it would take you out of the cinematic experience a bit.

The most annoying thing really was both me and the AI going down at the same time and having to go back to the last checkpoint, they should have found a way around this for single player. There were more than a few moments as well where it felt like the devs hadn't expected players to do things differently to their way of thinking... I can't think of any particular examples right now, but sometimes I'd be a step ahead of what I needed to do next, and the game didn't really communicate that properly.

I think the reviews have been too harsh though. The effort put into the game is clear, it has a very cinematic style, even with its graphical shortcomings, and feels like a proper Star Trek story, with a ton of great touches for Trek fans. It fleshes out the JJ universe nicely.

And the music is awesome, it's all new stuff but it stays true to the 2009 film. If you love the 2009 theme, you'll love the soundtrack to this game!

Oh, and also, the Elite Officer Pack costumes are great, there's 5 each for Kirk and Spock, nice attention to detail and they change in the menus and the cutscenes as well.

Finished this yesterday, got it from LF, glad I hadn't spent money on it :D

Entertaining enough, 5/10 for me, if it wasn't Star Trek I wouldn't have bothered much past the first hour.

Would have been a solid 10 for me if it had allowed me to kill Scottie's annoying comedy-effect mate, and Scotty for that matter. Or should I say the character Simon Pegg is playing, masquerading as Scotty, because Scotty he certainly is not :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom