Star Trek: Picard - Final Season 3 Discussions

@Garrett you're the mod here! You should be telling me to shut up about Enterprise and get back on the topic of Captain Pickles Season 2.

Tell you what, I'll give myself a warning strike.

Also, yes. DS9 S1&2 > TNG S1&2

I thought DS9 S1&2 were terrible but it still remains my favorite Star Trek series.

Re - TNG - I could never get my head around the fact of putting families on a Starship that constantly had the potential to go into a combat situation until DS9 came around, where they did exactly the same thing. Then it clicked. Everyone needs a home somewhere and everywhere is at risk of war sometime, somewhere. But when DS9 got REALLY serious about war, they got the families the fluff out of there.

Re - Enterprise - A series which on first watch when it aired, I found so bad I stopped watching at the end of series 2.

Upon recommendations from fellow Star trek fans on here, that series 3&4 are when it takes off and are really good, after all these years I've finally started watching series 3 (up to episode 4) and I'm actually rather enjoying it, so thanks for the rec.

Isn't it everyones?

Yes Babylon 5 is the best Sci-Fi to ever come to TV. The story is timeless am the themes are universal. I think I am long overdue for a rewatch. There are rumours of WB prepping a Blu-ray release however speculation is that it's just a upscale and most likely reverting back to the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Off topic I know, but
....speculation is that it's just a upscale and most likely reverting back to the 4:3 aspect ratio.
which would probably be cropped, as it was originally intended to be 16x9, according to Babylon 5 - Wikipedia
In anticipation of the emerging HDTV standard, rather than the usual 4:3 format, the series was shot in 16:9, with the image cropped to 4:3 for initial SDTV television transmissions.
and
Aspect Ratio 1.78 : 1
I think in fact that the film shots were probably shot 16x9 and cropped for 4x3, but the SFX CGI content was the opposite - rendered at 4x3 and zoomed/cropped for 16x9.

Just my personal opinion but I think I would prefer a 4:3 release (it was broadcast this way after all so it’s a valid framing choice) just so it had a consistent look again, every CG and live action composite suffered from being cropped/zoomed which resulted in plenty of down right horrible looking sequences, ideally a proper TNG style remaster would be undertaken with all the CG being recreated but I would happily take the original 4:3 masters with a healthy bitrate and lossless audio over the dated DVDs.

7B332C5F-35B4-485A-8FA9-B441F5E9FE91.png

8A2CBB65-0F2E-4A9E-B3AE-2A5482D97109.png

And while the 16:9 version gives more on the sides it was often cropped at the top and bottom...

A64E48F6-DA95-458C-A1B0-D012F217D3A5.png

6F00C372-FD65-4D3C-8D40-AD717316185F.png

Last edited:
I'm not a technical bod myself but I thought the way they originally filmed this best sci-fi drama ever to come to TV meant it couldn't be converted to blu ray?

I'm not a technical bod myself but I thought the way they originally filmed this best sci-fi drama ever to come to TV meant it couldn't be converted to blu ray?

Anything can be stuck on Blu-ray as it’s just a storage medium but a proper native HD release would require the same type of remastering as TNG received which cost millions of dollars but it would be even more expensive due too it’s vast use of CGI the show used so an upscale from the best quality masters (like Farscape received) is probably the best we can hope for.

And back to Picard...

I’m not speaking specifically for B5 but the biggest problem is that in the mid-80s TV started to change from filming in traditional film, to video tape. Film as a media can store far in excess of 4k, so by switching to video the native resolution was as low as 480p.

At the same time where special effects were needed they started to be done on computer. But due to limitations and cost in the technology at the time, graphics were rendered in SD.

So even if content was filmed on film stock, the film was scanned into video, and all post production including effects were done on video, and transmitted in SD resolution.

So even if you can go back to the original film to produce HD or 4K remasters, any effects or post production was only done in SD, and particular for Special Effects , up scaling from SD to HD and especially UHD just doesn’t cut it.

So in the case of Star Trek TOS and TNG they actually were shot on film, so they went back remastered the content for Blu-ray and HD broadcast, and actually recreated the special effects in HD from scratch, which was tremendously expensive.

but for DS9 and Voyager there doesn’t appear to be the economical business case to redo the effects like TOS and TNG. Enterprise though was finished in HD which is why we got the Blu-ray.

B5 is not as popular commercially as Star Trek, was shot on film, but I think it’s a very huge leap to get to justifying using the same techniques to generate HD or UHD remasters.

Of course for other shows that were only shot on video initially, there is little hope for remastering fir HD or UHD.

That said, there is always the hope that leaps in computing power and AI techniques will produce very good upscaling. But it’s still expensive to do at the level of computing power used to upscale some of the movie content. Time will tell.

That tells us absolutely nothing, and teases nothing.
The hate is strong with you, the dark side walk you will.

There are some teases in the over all narrative of what they want the season to be. They haven't even started filming so can't expect them to tell you everything but it does confirm production is on going.

Sir yes sir! It was just a slight divert but an informative one. As you say, back to Picard...

Haha I could talk about B5 all day but didn’t want to be the way derailing the thread and getting told off :D

Still not watched Season 1, but I keep a weathered eye on this thread.

Thinking it might be prudent to wait first and see how Season 2 pans out, as overall reaction to this hasn't been as good as I was hoping it would be. And will it get much beyond a 2nd season, I do wonder.

Still not watched Season 1, but I keep a weathered eye on this thread.

Thinking it might be prudent to wait first and see how Season 2 pans out, as overall reaction to this hasn't been as good as I was hoping it would be. And will it get much beyond a 2nd season, I do wonder.
No, ignore all them, just watch it and make your own mind up. I thought it was great.

Problem is I'm pissed off with things getting cancelled or ending prematurely these days. Or just going down the pan once you get into them. Have switched mostly to watching stuff like Dark and older stuff I've missed that I at least know gets wrapped or has received plenty of plaudits along the way.

Plus I have fond memories of TV Trek, and between this and Discovery (which I've also held off starting thus far), they don't seem to be doing much to add to that legend.

Problem is I'm pissed off with things getting cancelled or ending prematurely these days. Or just going down the pan once you get into them. Have switched mostly to watching stuff like Dark and older stuff I've missed that I at least know gets wrapped or has received plenty of plaudits along the way.

Plus I have fond memories of TV Trek, and between this and Discovery (which I've also held off starting thus far), they don't seem to be doing much to add to that legend.

Watch the first episode and see how you get on. Frankly it doesn't improve (or decline, depending on your point of view). So I think you'll get a handle on what to expect from the series in one episode. And as mentioned its fairly self contained, so if it gets canned its no big deal.

Personally I think your fond memories will stay better in tact if you give Picard a miss. I think it's outrageously dumb, ugly, distasteful and adds nothing whatsoever to the canon; a vanity project for Patrick Steward. But that's only my opinion. Plenty of people apparently liked it.

What i miss is one story per episode. You can no longer sit down and watch a random episode of any modern Star Trek. Everything is one long story where if you miss an episode, you’re screwed.

What i miss is one story per episode. You can no longer sit down and watch a random episode of any modern Star Trek. Everything is one long story where if you miss an episode, you’re screwed.

That's a very good point. Long live the TV series that gives us it all in 45 minutes!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom