Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection Blu-ray Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 14th June 2009
Folks, this is a thrilling set of movies that have made the trip to Blu-ray with terrific results, overall. Whilst it is annoying that we haven't been offered the extended versions as well as the theatrical ones, these films still flow wonderfully together and absolutely guarantee a knock-out experience whether you dip into them, watch them over a course of time, or, as I suspect many will have done already, savour them back-to-back in one mammoth Star Trekkin' super-session.

The transfers have proven debate-worthy, but you can't deny that each movie does, indeed, look superior to its SD incarnation. And the TrueHD 7.1, although not consistently awesome across the full 6 films - one or two seem to offer more detail and clout than the others - is definitely a very welcome mix that is considered, respectful and can't help but add to the enjoyment of the experience. Some of the older special features have, inevitably, been dropped but we do gain lots of new material along the way. And even if there is clearly a lot of filler abounding in this collection, there are also some very fine things to be found, too. The Captains' Summit may not be what many fans will have expected – it is hardly the most reverent or informative of dissections of Trek lore and legend – but it is fascinating, funny and addictive. And with The Shat in attendance … well, you've just got to make allowances, haven't you?

An awesome collection that is clearly not definitive, but still definitely worth beaming up!

Read the full review...

Navnut

Novice Member
Pleasing to finally read a positive review about Star Trek The Motion Picture. I have not seen the directors cut would love to know your thoughts on that.
:)

Phill1978

Novice Member
thanks for taking the time to review this collection. I really appreciate the effort you have put in :thumbsup:

MJeeves

This seems a good buy :smashin: Does anyone know if the NG films will be released as a set too ?
I believe they will be in the U.S. atleast. It will be called the "Next Generation Film Collection" and will feature "Generations" through to "Nemesis". I read it on Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Movies, Players, Recorders, Media and Software, The Digital Bits: Celebrating Film on Disc - DVD & Blu-ray and in the blu-ray forum here. About end of September/October I believe :confused:

Thanks for the review Chris! :smashin:

Mullicious

Novice Member
Just a quick message to you guys, this can be had for £61 at BangCD, if you use Quidco you're getting over £6 off that. Not a shabby price! :)

Dirty Harry

Novice Member
Has this collection been touched up like TOS Season 1 has been or is it just a straight transfer from SD to HD ?

Nelviticus

According to some of the reviews on Play.com there are a few bits that have been cut. Can Chris or anyone who's bought them confirm this?

Not that it'll stop me from buying them - reading Chris's review has got me fired up!

Simon Crust

Movie Reviewer
Has this collection been touched up like TOS Season 1 has been or is it just a straight transfer from SD to HD ?
Chris' lengthy explanation of the picture quality makes the answer abundantly clear.

According to some of the reviews on Play.com there are a few bits that have been cut. Can Chris or anyone who's bought them confirm this?
This set contains the theatrical versions of the films - they are unaltered from that form

Last edited:

Andrew Mogford

Novice Member

daywatch

Standard Member
Bought the movie set from Amazon US (to play on my chipped BD30). Cost about 54 EUR (incl. shipping), significantly cheaper than Play's extortionate 91 EUR price. Even their £70 sterling price is too high (Amazon US equivalent would be about £45).

I already own these movies on Laserdisk and DVD and one of the reasons for getting them again was for the Captain's Summit bonus disk.

I haven't watched the movies yet but have dipped into them to check out their HD quality, which shows up the deficiencies in STTMP - the matte lines around ships are very evident and some matte paintings (e.g. on Vulcan) look exteremely poor.

When STTMP first came out in '79, I was looking forward to it hugely as a Trek fan. But, oh dear, those weren't the characters I'd grown up watching. And that endless flyby of the revamped Enterprise - I remember thinking "Jeez, just get on with the movie" - and that from a Trek fan. So I'll have to disagree with Chris about having wanted more of that flyby.

I put the ST II DVD head to head with the ST II BD and, to be honest, only saw marginal improvement in quality (admittedly, I was using an Oppo 983H upscaling DVD player). So either the Oppo is doing a fantastic upscaling job, the ST II BD is really only an upscaled version of the film or my middle aged eyes are starting not to see the differences.

Where HD quality does start to shine through is in ST III and the later movies.

For those who like artwork on their platters - there isn't any on this set. All you get is bland silver with white lettering. The front of each box is equally minimalist; only the rear of each slipcase has artwork. Looks like Paramount are trying to save money here.

The soundtracks have been remixed though to DD 7.1 TrueHD, much more involving than the original DD sountracks.

In terms of (re)watchability of these movies, my personal preferences would be: II, VI, VI, III, V, STTMP (so there is something to the odd number curse!).

Chris McEneany

And that endless flyby of the revamped Enterprise - I remember thinking "Jeez, just get on with the movie" - and that from a Trek fan. So I'll have to disagree with Chris about having wanted more of that flyby.
Hi mate,

No - I think I was referring to the V'ger flyover. By far more atmospheric, eerie, wondrous and hypnotic. That was mystery, power, beauty and intimidation all rolled into one glorious, sweeping journey into the unknown.

By far more entertainig than the Enterprise fawn-fest - which I still like, btw.

Cheers anyway,

Chris McEneany :devil:

Andrew Mogford

Novice Member
For those who like artwork on their platters - there isn't any on this set. All you get is bland silver with white lettering. The front of each box is equally minimalist; only the rear of each slipcase has artwork. Looks like Paramount are trying to save money here.
I agreed with most of what you said, but just wanted to put my two pennies worth in and say I really LIKED the minimal approach of the artwork! :D

Trending threads

Top Bottom