1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek Nemesis

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rochdale, May 8, 2003.

1. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got this on DVD yesterday having missed going to see it at the cinema and I've got to say I'm dissapointed. It's got more plot holes than anything I've seen in a long time and far too much cheesiness in parts.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    yeah its not the best but neother is it The Final Frontier

3. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I thought it was really awful. Thought the previous one (insurrection) was like a bad Next Generation TV episode stretched to 90 mins, but this was sub-TV quality. And the ending was so predictable and tired, I'm quite amazed a script that bad got green lit. This must definitely spell the end for Trek films for awhile. Shame really, First Contact was good fun.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother will still buy it though. And he'll buy all the Bonds as well. :rolleyes:

Even though he's missing classic films like The Professional & Aliiens.

5. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Whats wrong with buying all the Bonds? most of them are classics

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He's bought TWINE & TND as well which are awful. I guess Hollywood are aiming at people like that.

Even if Bond 130 comes out, people will still buy it.

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Do you mind if I ask where you got it from?

Thanks

Conor

8. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got it from a local DVD importer, not off the web.

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Disc Emporium were shipping it as of yesterday

www.discemporium.com
    01438816688 for phone orders delivery is usually 48hrs although 24hour is available at extra cost.

Steve.

10. dataloss

dataloss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    got mine today from Movietyme

11. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Well, i saw this at the pictures, and have to say i enjoyed it as a movie-going experience as much as 'first contact', so each to their own i guess.

12. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    IMO the first hour or so of "Tomorrow Never Dies" is absolutely vintage bond - as good as the series gets. It sags a bit in the second half - surprisingly Jonathan Pryce is a little too anaemic as the villain. Michelle Yeo is good, though. "The World Is Not Enough" is a little scrappy, Denise Richards is awful, and Robert Carlyle isn't given enough to do, but Sophie Marceau is probably the best bond girl ever.

13. Rindless

Rindless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've read somewhere that a lot of the film was cut before it's release, so does this Nemesis dvd feature any of this footage ?

14. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    not sure about the R2 version, but according to play , the R1 version, due out 20th May, has some deleted scenes.

15. dataloss

dataloss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I counted 6 deleted scenes, I can see why some were cut though lots of "blah blah blah" little action. the director has stated before there will be no directors cut, but I suppose that depends on the sales of this disc and how much money Paramount think they can rip off... er I mean gain from the Trek fanbase.

16. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Thanks to Movietyme i have reviewed the disc in the reviews section of the forums.

17. av_enthusiast

av_enthusiast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was really dissapointed in the movie. I hope the next one will have a better storyline for cinema, it was like watching a typical tv episode with a large budget for special fx.

18. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont know what you guys expected but i thought it was good movie, not first contact but still good.

and as to the plot holes most people have cited on the internet I havent agreed with any of them to date so Id be interested in hearing your diangnosis off ths

19. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The biggest plothole being the fact that the entire crew including Data seemed to completely forget that Data already had a brother called Lor. This just spoilt the whole illusion and made me think that whoever made the film didn´t really care what he was putting on screen, as the rest of this poo movie goes to show.
    Time for Trek to take a break IMO till they get their act together and come up with something fresh

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    I've just watched the Region 1 DVD of this film and really enjoyed it. I was expecting complete dross after reading so many posts saying how rubbish it was!

It's much better than Insurrection or Generations and not far behind the all-singing-all-dancing First Contact.

9/10 IMHO

But wasn't Lor completely dismantled in Descent, Part 2? And I would like to point out I only know this as I am working my way through the Next Gen DVDs at the moment :blush:

21. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Data did nuke Lor, yes, I remember that clearly.
    I don't know why everyone is supposed to feel embarassed about Trek as there are plenty who rave about child-like dvds and that's ok. Whatever you like is enough.
    I've watched Nemesis a couple of times now and it's not that bad. The biggest problem is believing Tom Hardy to be a clone of Patrick Stewart. They don't look enough alike, though the touch that he was beaten severly is clever, and the photo of Jean Luc bald as a teen makes no sense as earlier stuff has him with more hair not shaven. Also the Romulan senate being so slack over security and open to overthrow see easy. They have always been pitched as a much more controlling bunch.
    Whatever.
    Some nice effects, fluid story with obvious redressing for characters from past stories; such as Deanna's endured telepathic rapes and justice/revenge. Also some funny one liners from Worf (in it very little) and Shinzon with his, "I was lonely" proclamation which had me laughing aloud.
    Interesting to see the Jim from neighbours getting another command role (24 S.2) and Mike Novac also as a Romulan. Plus a blink and you'll miss him Wesley Crusher.
    Worth a view as it's the last if nothing else of this bunch.

Though the incidental 'music' ala 1980s console game, what were they thinking.

22. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched this for the first time on Saturday and after all the reviews I was expecting a terrible film. I actually really enjoyed it and while it is not as good as First Contact it is superior to Insurrection and Generations. I thought the space battles were excellent and Shinzon was pretty good especially with some of his one liners. Even the girlfriend sat through it all and she is not a Star Trek fan and said it was pretty good.

The only thing that got me was with all their technology why did they have a car with wheels, surely they would have had a hover craft or something :rolleyes:

23. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    I don't see how you can say this - it might have been true for Insurrection but not Nemesis. Major space battles don;t really happen in the Next Gen series, crew members don't normally die (bar Tasha Yar), the Enterprise doesn't normally get smashed up that badly, they don't normally ram otehr ships in the TV series, the Romulan senate doesn't get assasinated on TV etc. It was a mjor story the scale of which you just don't get even in TNG two parters.