1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek Nemesis!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jacob, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Jacob

Jacob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw Wil Wheaton's name in the credits but didn't see Wesley Crusher or hear him mentioned in the film? Where was he or was he cut!!

Cheers
    Jacob

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Yep, all his aperances and dialogue were cut apart from a very brief cameo at troi and rikers wedding.
    The new two disc collectors edition that is released on region 1 dvd in october will have some of the scenses available to view as extras.

3. Zapp.Brannigan

Zapp.Brannigan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Saw this film the other night. A good ending I thought.

After all these years of keeping his homosexual youth quite, Pickard's secret is finally out when his young clone turns up in a PVC one piece with shoulder pads and sounding like Julian Clary!! :)

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

If you check out will wheatons web site he talked about that.

Hes cool, but it didnt make sense to have him in it since he dissapeared with that traveler guy to run arround the universe. It didnt make sense to suddenly have him in a starfleet uniform again at their wedding.

To be honest it was the same for worf. He was supposed to be somewhere else doing something else, but all of a sudden he was back on the enterprise serving again. :confused:

This film as well as the last one were full of holes.

5. Jacob

Jacob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all!

As for the film being full of holes, find me single episode/film that isn't!

It's not real, honest!!!!!

6. Zapp.Brannigan

Zapp.Brannigan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Wrath of Khan?

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Insurrection was the worst star trek movie for me. I liked Nemesis. :thumbsup:

Pickard is gay???? [​IMG]

Surely not :confused:

8. Zapp.Brannigan

Zapp.Brannigan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To boldly go where no man has gone before.....Hmmmm

Agreed about Insurrection being the worst. I think First Contact is one of (if not) the best film, certainly of TNG films. :smashin:

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

LOL.... [​IMG]

First contact is very good. :thumbsup:

10. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,240
    Another :thumbsup: for First Contact for me. Definitely my favourite ST film with Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country coming a close second.

Insurrection wasn't much cop, but I thought Nemesis was quite good. My expectations were very very low after the panning it got from everyone but it turned out to be pretty good.

11. ShuFFz

ShuFFz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure was nice to see ol Janeway popping her head up .. would be nice to see all the ol voyager crew in a movie.

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Startrek 2 the Wrath of Khan.

Comic book guy voice.

BEST STARTREK MOVIE EVER! :D

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,219
    I got round to seeing it for the first time last week on DVD and wondered why it did not do that well at the pictures.

On looking at the credits I too was surprised to see WW and wondered where he was in the film and had to re-watch the beginning again. there mind you I also failed to spot Commander Donatra was Dina Meyer and also Bryan Singer was in it as well.

14. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Some info on why the cuts were made.

Forty minutes of footage from the first cut of 'Star Trek Nemesis' were left on the cutting room floor, but producer Rick Berman said yesterday the film is the better for it.

"John Logan's script, although on paper it seemed like the right length, turned out to be a lot longer," Berman told TrekWeb. "This certainly wasn't a question of a director doing something at a slow pace, the movie is anything but at a slow pace. [...] Stuart [Baird] and I and with suggestions from the studio had to sit down and cut out forty minutes. Obviously there are some things you're delighted to cut out and there are some things that are really painful to cut out. There were scenes in the first act of the film that we felt slowed the film down a little bit that didn't get to the story quick enough."

The cuts were not made simply to get the film down to a two-hour running time - it was also an issue of pacing. "In terms of pace of the film, our goal was not to cut forty minutes out of the movie. Our goal was to make the movie as good as possible and that involved the studio's opinion of the pacing of the film, Stuart's, and mine."

Sequences affected by the edits were the Kolarun 'off-road vehicle' scene, the wedding (including Wil Wheaton's (Wesley Crusher) dialogue), and the film's conclusion. "In the Kolarun car chase sequence it was incredibly wonderful, the very first cut, but we probably ended up taking two minutes and it's always painful to take action out, but we did take a lot of stuff out of the wedding scene. We also took a lot out of the end but when you have a movie that's too long you unfortunately have to start whacking it down. In the case of the studio, Stuart and myself, in the long run we don't regret any of it because the picture seems to be paced in the right way for all of us."

Dave.

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding Nemesis and the cutting of scenes etc etc, why didn't just one person check the script and realise Data already had a brother called Lore, to me thats the films major failing, that and the fact that once again the budget cannot really give the film everything it needs to make it work, same problem occured with First Contact because we had 1 little Borg cube attacking Earth ( more would have made the budget too high although the film worked real well with one and is still my favourite TNG film ) having said all that i do like Nemesis better than for example Star Trek Generations.

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,182
    I didnt really have a problem with them finding another Data type android, after all it was a prototype unlike Data and Lore who were final models, would have actually made a good episode of TNG if they had found the prototypes.

17. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    All the TNG movies feel like really god episodes. So its either that or see them as bad movies.

i also like Nemesis but it could have been much better.

I hope the franchise lives on though and they make a really good show like TNG in the future.

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

So do I. :thumbsup:

19. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Me too, though I think the problem is they have run out of ideas. How many episodes of Voyager and enterprise have been 'loose remakes' of those in the original series and TNG?

For me Nemesis was a good film, but basically 'Wrath Of Khan' in drag. :D

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    :hiya: Hartigan

I would like to know when the next star trek movie will be out. [​IMG]

Will it be TNG or Voyager?

I suppose they can only do so many stories without repetition. I dont like the 'moral and romantic' type episodes you some times get in the star trek series. They just seem to be gap fillers. Give me a good fight with the Borg any day. :thumbsup:

21. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    i liked Insurrection(sorry, i really did!) and i really liked Nemisis, but the viewing public had had enough of ST at the time so neither did that well.

I would have loved Enterprise to have been like the final season all the way through, writers who cared and had ideas, soemthing that Berman and Bragga ran out of somewhere in the middle of voyager.

22. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    A fresh start is needed. New writers and producers. They all need to focus on a new show with a new cast and they need to give us something original yet in the spirit of Startrek.

There are plenty of good writers out there who would love to write for trek.

23. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    there was talk of the guy who wrote Babylon 5 doing some enterprise episodes but that obviously isnt going to happen now

24. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the viewing public may be tired of star trek now. The franchise has spanned 40 years and has a lot of detail to it. Its inevitable that the studio would run out of plots that wont confuse all but die hard trek fans.
    The last episode of enterprise wasn't what I was hoping for but it was still excellent compared to 99% of shows broadcast today.
    I think paramount will call it a day with star trek, its not the cash cow it once was, which is born out by the fact that the enterprise run was cut short by 3-4 years compared to the other series. A shame really as I think enterprise was starting to get going.

25. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Vection :hiya:

Enterprise was getting very good. If what you say is true about the end of star trek that would be very sad. [​IMG]

I think it was a mistake for the star trek series to back in time to Enterprise, I think this move turned off some people. I know I wasn't as bothered about seeing a star trek with limitations. It took many years for me to pick up Enterprise and start watching. Even then the initial series weren't as good as the last 2 series. I would like to see a star trek furthur into the future with more power and mad ideas. Just like the holodeck was cool in TNG (I'd love one of those [​IMG] )

Enterprise was good I will miss it. :(