1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek: Nemesis (contains possible spoiler)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Setenza, May 30, 2003.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Okay, I avoided all reviews of this movie so I really did get to watch it without any idea of what the plot was.

Here are a few thoughts:

Good production, excellent if not the best digital FX's seen in a Star Trek movie. Interesting that the contract went to major ILM rival, Digital Domain!

Bad point being the major deja-vu plot and ending. I'm sorry, I know a certain other movie in the series is 21 years old, so a generation of punters may have either not seen it or ignored it, but this was a incredible cop out.

What annoyed me most was the obviouslt flagged "back door" that can be exploited if the financial need requires.

Or am I being to harsh.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had the same thought re deja-vu about a third of the way through the movie (I didn't know the ending but saw it coming a mile off)

3. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Same thoughts here too. Also how come Data and everyone had suddenly developed amnesia and forgotten about his brother Lore?:confused:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    :mad: They didn't! Lore was dismantled into component parts at the end of Descent, Part II so didn't exist at the time of Star Trek: Nemesis. I may be alone but I thought the film was a really good ending for TNG team.

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i watched this film yesterday and it felt darker than ur average star trek film and i really enjoyed it, best effects work seen in a trek film since the original was made and only bad point i could make is budget restrictions again meant just like in star trek first contact 1 ship against 1 (( with a few romulan warbirds thrown in )) it would be great someday to see a big budget trek film which actually shows huge space battles utilising the entire fleet but that is expensive, anyways good film better than last one and a nice way to end the TNG crew.

6. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Rasczak
    I know that, I remember the ep, but my point is that no one even considered it could be lore.
    Loved the film anyway:)

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I'd imagine they chose not to bring up Lore as it's more tidy for those up with events and moreover those not familiar, and time is money afterall.
    Another surprise was Wes Crusher seated at the wedding table in current Starfleet uniform but nothing else said about him.
    I liked the end, albeit an appeasement, as Picard wasn't totally stripped of his friend's warmth - I'm filling up here. Nice to know that Spiner and Stewart are close in real life.
    But I can't see there being any more TNG outings as Stewart said no more. What did give me the fear guy, was seeing Janeway and thinking, a Voyager film!!! Shame things as is they couldn't have had Sisko back as it'd of been a nice circle for him to be sitting there wishing JLP ggod luck.
    There were some great effects in First Contact and there was the battle with a whole mess of SF ships going west. A multi-faceted battle could be good but ultimately it gets a bit distanced and dull after a bit. ST has been very wise over the years and steered clear of over exposure of ship scenes, beit in however part to finance, as I'm sure we'd most all get complacent and over familiar and/or bored of ship scenes and expect way too much to thrill.

Spoiler

The problems with the ship fight for me was that Shinzon could've just crippled the Enterprise shields and nicked Picard again and slipped off undetectable. Moreover, they said that the Scimitar had 70% shields and Enterprise sod all so ramming it would've surely had a buffer effect to the former and mass destruction to the latter. Plus surely Shinzon should've just said vertical elevation instead of port to avoid Enterprise.
    Whatever. Still a good film with some surprisingly good Tom Hardy bits, especially with Stewart.

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I watched this yesterday.

What a load of old codswallop.

A) Sex scenes between ageing old beardies and haggard old telepaths should not be shown.

B) The first half hour served no purpose apart from lots of smirks and all knowing looks from the crew designed to please trekkies.

C) Nothing happened in the whole film apart from this which could have been done in a half hour episode (and most probably has been) :-

SPOILER

Baldy meets clone, Clone needs baldy, Clone chases baldy after another "single" useless guard ignores duties (what happened to CCTV eh?), Clone chases baldy in a vastly superior ship and cocks it up, Baldy gives some awful speeches, Baldy takes his ship back to be repaired yet again (I am sure Starfleet are getting mightily fed up of repairing that ship)

I would place it on a par with Insurrection, no TNG movie or episode can match the splendour of Kirk and crew. I am only glad I borrowed this movie :)

You will love this movie if you love Star Trek The Next Geriatrics the series. If you hate it, then it will only compound that feeling as it has done with me :p

9. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    This thread may be a blast from the past but those words ring sooooooo true

10. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Which other film are you referring to and how are the plots similar ?

I also thought the soundtrack was spot on - sounds well impressive on my humble little system.

11. dave_b9000

dave_b9000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you've not watched wrath of khan recently?

12. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, in so much as you've got the baddie chasing the captain of the enterprise, they are similar.

In wrath of Khan the motive was revenge, in Nemesis he needed Picard for his DNA (or whatever), but if you boil the plot down to that level of simplicity then you could say that a great deal of films have similar plots.

13. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    The parallels are somewhat obvious between TWOK and Nemesis
    :rolleyes:

14. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thought that Nemesis played with the theme of duality - Picard was contemplating that his life could be the same as the baddie geeza, seeing as they had the same DNA - and a similar theme with Data and his 'brother'.

I thought that Wrath of Khan had quite a bit to do with how people face up to death - at the start you see Kirstie Alley loose the 'no win scenario', and later learn that Kirk never faced that - he is accused of never 'facing death' - but at the climax of the film he is forced to face it by the loss of his old chum Spock.

Granted there are battle scenes in both films, and like I said, it's baddie verses Captain on a basic level, but I think all other similarities are just superficial - two completely different films really.

15. Gibbster

Gibbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's because Will Wheaton's part ended up on the cutting room floor.

And I have been a Star Trek fan for 22 years, and this fil was just the biggest disappointment for me. Formulaic, obvious, full of plot holes, and just terribly directed.

Very, very disappointing. :(

16. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    While there are similarities, at a basic level, with Wrath of Khan it's not like I sat at the cinema watching Nemesis thinking "This just so much like Wrath of Khan". I'm sure the Captain of the Enterprise has been chased by baddies on a number of occasions.

17. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Spoiler, highlight to read: The similarity between Wrath Of Khan and Nemesis being alluded to is probably the element of a member of the crew sacrificing his own life to save the ship (Spock, Data) and also the leaving in of a potential back door whereby the character's mind/memory might be preserved (mind meld with McCoy, memory download to B4). It has to be admitted that there are certain conceptual parallels between Thalaron radiation and the Genesis device too.

Just saw Nemesis yesterday, actually. Thought it was quite fun, but there were one or two subplot elements that were just skated over too quickly for my liking. Specifically (spoiler, highlight): The fight between Riker and the Viceroy, and the telepathic "rape". I'd like to have seen more of these.

But I liked the nice little pastiche of "Alien ". :)