Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 1 (Amazon) TV Show Review & Comments

Thanks Tom. Will have to see if this shows up on Amazon Prime Germany & with the English Soundtrack.
Of course, as, apparently from "that other thread" your reputation is burned, I will have to ignore your score! :rolleyes:

From the trailer
We live on a space ship. Nobody dies from a spear wound!
What a good point!

Pretty much my feelings forwards it with a similar score (probably a 7/10) the creators obviously love Trek and try and cram in as many references as they can almost as if they are trying to make up for the lack of them in Discovery and Picard.

I can imagine coming into this show with just a love for established Trek might sour the experience but if you come too it being a Trek fan and also a Rick & Morty/Final Space fan then I think it goes down much easier.

Yes it’s a 4th wall breaking parody which is somehow meant to also be classed as part of the Prime timeline (that alone has been enough to write it off for many fans) but it also fills a hole for the Trek I grew up with that hasn’t been seen since 2005 and I would happily cancel Discovery and Picard for more of this.

Pretty much my feelings forwards it with a similar score (probably a 7/10) the creators obviously love Trek and try and cram in as many references as they can almost as if they are trying to make up for the lack of them in Discovery and Picard.

I can imagine coming into this show with just a love for established Trek might sour the experience but if you come too it being a Trek fan and also a Rick & Morty/Final Space fan then I think it goes down much easier.

Yes it’s a 4th wall breaking parody which is somehow meant to also be classed as part of the Prime timeline (that alone has been enough to write it off for many fans) but it also fills a hole for the Trek I grew up with that hasn’t been seen since 2005 and I would happily cancel Discovery and Picard for more of this.
Very fair.
I have to say, I do like R&M but I don't really get on well with Final Space and you're right, it's a comparison that came to my mind too.

Just like your review here, attempts an A/B plot, it seems @Tom Davies.
I do agree with your ST sentiments and that this show often falls flat on its arse and yet misses the comedic splat.
Lower Decks too felt like I was often watching it out of misplaced duty at times. Mariner is definitely more hate than love in her extremes and I was semi convinced that Boimler was voiced as a too needy/worthy character by chat show host Stephen Colbert, until I finally checked IMDB.
It clearly doesn't have the permissions to go as far as Rick and Morty but wants, if not needs, them at times.
I also agree that it is something of an in joke reward at scavenging out all the references. As for the A/B plots, well they are generally there; as this sub crew always have a cause and effect relation with everything else but again, you're correct that it often fails to tie things up in anything ever near resembling eloquence.
Once you take to biting chunks out of your master in seeking that comedy gold, you have to realise you're going to need new and sustainable sources or, it's inevitably Red Alert.

Hearing that this is a love letter to TNG and classic trek is music to my ears. It's a shame that it takes a cartoon parody to deliver this, rather than two mega-expensive serialised shows (both of which feel like generic sci-fi rather than trek).

One (possibly stupid) question @Tom Davies ; is the dialogue and humour true to the TNG era, or is it 'current' eg full of whipsmart one liners and 2010's colloquialisms? One of my biggest beefs with modern trek is they forget they are writing characters from the far future. I get that this is comedy, but I think it would be so much funnier to parody trek by making them sound like goofball versions of 24th century folk, like in the funnier TNG episodes.

Hearing that this is a love letter to TNG and classic trek is music to my ears. It's a shame that it takes a cartoon parody to deliver this, rather than two mega-expensive serialised shows (both of which feel like generic sci-fi rather than trek).

One (possibly stupid) question @Tom Davies ; is the dialogue and humour true to the TNG era, or is it 'current' eg full of whipsmart one liners and 2010's colloquialisms? One of my biggest beefs with modern trek is they forget they are writing characters from the far future. I get that this is comedy, but I think it would be so much funnier to parody trek by making them sound like goofball versions of 24th century folk, like in the funnier TNG episodes.
It's an issue almost all Kurtzman Trek writers have. I liked the first 2 seasons of Disco but by the end of season 2, all the 21st century tropes, colloquialisms and agendas were coming to the fore. I didn't bother with season 3. From what I have seen, heard and read, it sounds like this show has decided to skip the foreplay.

It's an issue almost all Kurtzman Trek writers have. I liked the first 2 seasons of Disco but by the end of season 2, all the 21st century tropes, colloquialisms and agendas were coming to the fore. I didn't bother with season 3. From what I have seen, heard and read, it sounds like this show has decided to skip the foreplay.
its no Orville.

Is the dialogue and humour true to the TNG era, or is it 'current' eg full of whipsmart one liners and 2010's colloquialisms? One of my biggest beefs with modern trek is they forget they are writing characters from the far future. I get that this is comedy, but I think it would be so much funnier to parody trek by making them sound like goofball versions of 24th century folk, like in the funnier TNG episodes.
Yeah, if that's a sticking point for you, you're going to find more of it here.
I found it less incongruous (more congruous?), probably because of the overall vibe, it's very much in the vein of an Adult Swim style animation.

I found less incongruous (more congruous?), probably because of the overall vibe, it's very much in the vein of an Adult Swim style animation.

Thought so. Oh well, given that its a comedy I might find it more forgivable. Certainly cant be worse than the immersion-breaking guff Kurtzman & co were vomiting out in every Disco episode:

"that was f****ng cool".
"She's a queen!"
"Its da bomb"
"You got this"
"Damn, straight."
and my personal favourite: "B*llocks"

Because an empath from the other side of the galaxy, living in the 32nd century, is bound to use the exact same curse words as the Hackney, London actor who plays him.

I found less incongruous (more congruous?), probably because of the overall vibe, it's very much in the vein of an Adult Swim style animation.
The sad part is that Kurtzman's team didn't even want people like you. They wanted a "new" audience. I think we know what "new" really meant.

The K-Trek movies are more for the general audience rather than fans and so was Disco, Picard and now this. That's fine but you need talent and love for an IP to write and produce a new show from scratch. You need time, money and patience to gather this "new" audience. For the TV shows in particular, The talent is dubious at best, the love is non-existent (You're a Trekkie so I'll take your word that there was some love here) and the money ran out when Netflix pulled the plug.

"that was f****ng cool".
When I heard her say this, I was "transported" right out of the moment.

Thought so. Oh well, given that its a comedy I might find it more forgivable. Certainly cant be worse than the immersion-breaking guff Kurtzman & co were vomiting out in every Disco episode:

"that was f****ng cool".
"She's a queen!"
"Its da bomb"
"You got this"
"Damn, straight."
and my personal favourite: "B*llocks"

Because an empath from the other side of the galaxy, living in the 32nd century, is bound to use the exact same curse words as the Hackney, London actor who plays him.
I'm out, then.
It's not that hard to get a vocab. going that is not based on now.
The reboot of BG handled it perfectly, IMO. Using "Frack" as the F word for example. You knew what it meant but it was a new word

Looks like it might be quite amusing - I’ll give it a go - in passing and not expecting any similarity the actual “lower decks “ episode of STNG was one of the best and most moving episodes of Star Trek if I remember correctly

Am I going crackers or is this not available quite yet? I can't find it on Prime anywhere, is it free for Prime users?

Available to UK audiences on Prime as of Friday 22nd January!
Some people are ahead of the curve and have, I assume, been watching via CBS All Access.

Cheers Tom! I'll be having a look later in the week then by the looks of things. Enjoy Star Trek but far from being an official nerd about it so as long as this provides some light entertainment, along with it's new perspective (for me at least), I'll be happy enough.

Yeah I've heard that too. I need to get round to watching that.

Orville is terribly bad, terribly, cringe-wortily bad, and yet i sat there watching it. I still don't know if i like it, but I'll watch more.

Lower Decks is like that bud ad from the 90's where everyone walks around going whazzzup! Funny at first but quickly becomes boring. The references are fun but its not anywhere near enough to have kept me watching.

Final Space Season 1 is a masterpiece, emotionally, musically and atristically, but season 2 falls far from Season 1 and a lot of what made Season 1 SO good, is watered down to piss jokes and too wide a set of characters.

Last edited:
Orville is terribly bad, terribly, cringe-wortily bad, and yet i sat there watching it. I still don't know if i like it, but I'll watch more.

Lower Decks is like that bud ad from the 90's where everyone walks around going whazzzup! Funny at first but quickly becomes boring. The references are fun but its not anywhere near enough to have kept me watching.

Final Space Season 1 is a masterpiece, emotionally, musically and atristically, but season 2 falls far from Season 1 and a lot of what made Season 1 SO good, is watered down to piss jokes and too wide a set of characters.
Interesting! Unlike this show, that's the first negative review I've seen about The Orville and I've seen and heard lots of reviews.

BTW sir, Captain Amazing at your service :)

Interesting! Unlike this show, that's the first negative review I've seen about The Orville and I've seen and heard lots of reviews.

BTW sir, Captain Amazing at your service :)

Haha, not many recognise my username these days.

Believe it or not, it's not a negative review, like I said I sat there and watched it and would watch more. It really is one of those shows that's SO bad, that it works.

I think you just have to see it to maybe know where I'm coming from.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom