Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thank you Cas. Has one of my favourite Movie exchanges in it.
(Sums up my job in some ways)

Dr. Gillian Taylor: Don’t tell me, you’re from outer space.
Kirk: No, I’m from Iowa. I only work in outer space.

And finally, my thoughts from the other thread...

I think in some ways the least impressive in the set. It’s a fine presentation but it seemed softer throughout, and the interiors of the Bird of Prey particularly, which may have been an artistic choice I guess. Effects again hold up well, and there’s nothing critically that stands out as sub-par, just doesn’t have as much impact as the other 3 releases. The San Francisco scenes are again fine, but they look more TV-episodic than filmic, as shot. I think this is all because Nimoy’s directing skills are more functional than artistic. He does manage to get good performances from the cast though.

Leading on from III the ‘geriatric comedy romp’ comes to the fore, but clearly suits the intent of the film, and unlike previously a lot of the jokes and humour are organic and hit the mark, with Chekhov’s being the objection, the worst victim of acting like a bumbling idiot, especially considering he is the youngest cast-member. That said, some of the humour is clever, and use of visual cues, include the audience, George & Gracie on the side of the bus and the Yellow Pages ad, behind McCoy, Scotty and Sulu, as they discuss how to find something in this century.

To enjoy this movie you have to forgive a lot, the ‘alien’ probe visiting Earth looking for an answer being completely similar to TMP, the cavalier approach to executing time travel, the complete ignoring of the Prime Directive, particularly as regards to changing or influencing historic events, and the stupidity of them wandering around 1990s San Francisco in 23rd Century clothing, do Klingon ships not have replicators?

But at its essence it ‘is’ classic Star Trek storytelling, a science-fiction concept , wrapped around a morality play, analysing the human condition of today through a story told in the future. And it manages it with charm, intelligence, and a distinct lack of preaching, letting the audience be entertained and educated at their own leisure and inclinations. And ultimately that is why it succeeds and is so well-liked by many.

I love this film, an absolute triumph after The Search for Spock.

I mean it's bonkers stuff, and Leonard Nimoy wandering around in his dressing gown looking for the Karate Kid set :laugh:

I think it might actually be the Trek I've watched the most over the years.

I have a real nostalgic affinity with this movie.
Chekov on the boat, still a genuinely funny comedy moment.

Blimey, an 8 for this. From The Motion Picture to a full on fish out of water comedy made on a shoestring.

For me this is a total turkey. It's up there with Crystal Skull and Phantom Menace as stinker, although Shatner managed to go even further with Star Trek V and produce a film so terrible it's difficult to imagine how it ever got made.

I used to roll my eyes up at this one for years but finally watched it again on Blu-ray a couple of years back..... and I flipping loved it! Yes its silly. Yes its not as good as the first two Star Trek films but I still really enjoyed it despite all that. Pretty much agree with the film score here.

This UHD is a revelation over the 2009 Blu-ray, that is a waxy mess but this actually looks like film and about time too.

Might not be for everyone but I would say this is my 4th favourite of the original ten movies with Khan at #1, The Undiscovered Country at #2 and First Contact at #3

Last edited:
Blimey, an 8 for this. From The Motion Picture to a full on fish out of water comedy made on a shoestring.
The budget for TMP was $35 mill, the Voyage Home was $24m which was pretty lavish compared to Wrath of Khan at $12m.

With its lower budget it still did way better at the domestic box office then TPM by a significant margin and only slightly less at the Global Box office.

Of all the old school trek movies, this is the only one I really care for. Just a really good movie for us non trekers. I even tried out Khan last year (ish) as so many rave about it. Was ok but it confirmed i’m just not a trekkie fan, hence my love for this movie. An essential buy if and when we get i individual releases.

8 (which ranks as very good on my 1-10 scale) is about right imo.

For anyone interested, the "Cetacean Institute" seen in the movie is really the Monterey Bay Aquarium located about 120 miles south of San Francisco. A composite shot in the movie, makes it look like it's just outside of the city.

It's a great aquarium and really worth a visit if you're visiting the area. Sadly, there's absolutely no recognition given to it's Star Trek IV heritage.

Also, the Navel base at Alameda closed in 1997 and it's now known as Alameda Point.

A few photos I took in 2017 at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, compared with scenes from the movie. It's pretty much exactly the same is it was in 1986.

Regards,
James.

Attachments

• IMG_8593.JPG
    IMG_8593.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Star Trek IV2.JPG
    Star Trek IV2.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8621.JPG
    IMG_8621.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Star Trek IV4.JPG
    Star Trek IV4.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8640.JPG
    IMG_8640.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Star Trek IV3.JPG
    Star Trek IV3.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Star Trek IV1.JPG
    Star Trek IV1.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8624.JPG
    IMG_8624.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
This is a mad episode stretched until it nearly breaks but I still like it and think it works overall.
Catherine Hicks reminds me of King Kong's Fay Wray, what with her nipples pointing the way. Although here, no one makes a joke about her 'buttons being up'.
A bit of daft fun time travel; in which nobody stops to think, why doesn't every dastardly lot (i.e. for the glory of the Klingon Empire...) try this?
Picture quality is strikingly better than previous. I was taken aback for a minute.

Credits made me laugh. Punk on bus, was actually a punk on a bus and credited for the 'tune'.

This is a mad episode stretched until it nearly breaks but I still like it and think it works overall.
Catherine Hicks reminds me of King Kong's Fay Wray, what with her nipples pointing the way. Although here, no one makes a joke about her 'buttons being up'.
A bit of daft fun time travel; in which nobody stops to think, why doesn't every dastardly lot (i.e. for the glory of the Klingon Empire...) try this?
Picture quality is strikingly better than previous. I was taken aback for a minute.

Credits made me laugh. Punk on bus, was actually a punk on a bus and credited for the 'tune'.

Kirk Thatcher was an associate producer on the movie, but his acting credit was Punk on bus.

I really enjoyed all of the reviews of these 4 Star Trek re releases. The only mark I would personally change would be for this one to an improved 9.
This film was the first Star Trek movie that I went to see at the cinema & because I enjoyed it so much, did not hesitate to see the fifth installment..... right!
Will I get the set??? Hmmmm. Not a big fan of TMP but love the other 3 movies...

I am going against the grain somewhat here, but I really don't care at all for the Original Series films. I just think the cast look too old and it massively undermines my suspension of disbelief in them.

But this film is wonderful as it seems much more relaxed and somehow believable for them to be in this situation and react accordingly.

I also agree wholeheartedly with @domtheone - you do not need to be a fan of the franchise nor know any of the characters to enjoy this instalment. It wouldn't surprise me if it was easily the most popular of the films as it's the most accessible for a general audience.

I do hope this gets an individual release as I would happily upgrade my Blu-Ray copy for it.

I love most of the film, but it needed a stronger third act. It's not quite satisfying --
it needed a battle. The starship versus jet fighters, something like that. The escape is too easy for my liking.

If you check out the 4k vs blu-ray comparisons on youtube you can plainly see the 4k is complete and utter garbage compared to the 1080p blu-ray.

TVH is the film with the biggest improvements lol the 2009 Blu-ray was an abomination with its waxy faces and pumped up contrast the UHD finally gives it some form of justice and makes it look like a film again.

If you check out the 4k vs blu-ray comparisons on youtube you can plainly see the 4k is complete and utter garbage compared to the 1080p blu-ray.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be sarcastic or not?...

The colour timing is different on the 4K release, it has HDR, and DCI P3 wide colour gamut.

Comparing the Blu-ray colour palette to the 4K colour palette is pointless.
What counts is how it looks compared to the original 35mm film.

One would hope the 4K restoration team got it as close to the original film-look and palette as possible. You can't know what's actually right, unless you can do a side by side comparisons with a film print.

Some 'restorations' do make older movies look more like modern movies, and a few 4K releases are just an abomination such as as the video-processed T2 4K release - but unfortunately that seems to be the look that James Cameron wants now.

Regards,
James.

seeing is believing and I see the 4k is garbage compared to the blu-ray, maybe you guys need to visit your local specsavers or stop watching movies on your smartphone with a 6 inch screen...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom