Star Trek Into Darkness gets a new poster

Steve Withers

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
First 9 minutes will be shown before IMAX screenings of The Hobbit

JJ Abrams is no stranger to keeping plot details close to his chest; in fact he managed to make Super 8 largely under the radar, a genuine feat in this day and age. But with Star Trek Into Darkness he has excelled himself, with plot details rarer than a Vulcan (their home planet was blown up in the the Star Trek reboot). We all know that Benedict Cumberbatch has been cast in the film but no one outside the production knows what role he’s playing. Is he Khan (unlikely given his ethnic origin), is he Harry Mudd (also unlikely given that character’s comic elements which wouldn’t gel with the darker overtones of the sequel) or is he Gary Mitchell (which is where the smart money is)? Whatever the answer, it appears to be Cumberbatch on the new poster and an awful lot of devastation but not much space. Still in five months all will be revealed and frankly, we’re looking forward to it.

357518d1354714511-star-trek-into-darkness-gets-new-poster-trek.jpg

Attachments

• trek.jpg
    trek.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,023
Are they really showing 9 minutes before the Hobbit? I don't like to see long adverts of a film im planning to see let alone 9 bloody minutes! And you can't just enter late in Imax, you have to take your seat before it all begins.

Im not impressed at all.

They're showing the first 9 minutes, which is quite common. The first 5-10 minutes of The Dark Knight, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and The Dark Knight Rises were also shown before other IMAX features. Just like those films, JJ Abrams has shot certain scenes using IMAX cameras, so they should look spectacular on an IMAX screen. The film has also been converted to 3D in post-production but I won't be bothering with that as I hate fake 3D.

I don't doubt it will look impressive but Im really looking forward to Star Trek. I can't think of anything worse than seeing 9 minutes of it months before the film comes out. Am I alone in this? Im probably in a minority but surely other people get irritated by those long adverts that show far to much of a movie you want to see.

Steve, did you see the previews of those films and did it take some of the mystery and enjoyment out of the movie when released?

It depends on the film to be honest, I think the opening bank robbery from The Dark Knight worked brilliantly as a teaser, introducing the Joker but not really giving anything away.

I agree. In my opinion Id rather see it for the first time when I see the entire film though as the 2nd showing won't have the same impact.

I can see why people would like to see the teaser but I think they need to cater for people that want to wait too. I don't know how they handle it but they could call people in for the teaser and then a 2nd calling for the main feature.

New trailer looks good, will be strange to see Sherlock as a bad guy though lol

Clever poster. Can you see the badge ?

Yes have now. ta for the link.
WOW !
Looks in the same vein as the reboot visually.
Are they taking things in a new direction or still feel the need to 'homage' the past ?
Will Cumberbatch die in the last scene and name his son Khan ?

Cool!

Reminds me of a film called Fan Boys.

It does but let's hope Star Trek Into Darkness is better than The Phantom Menace!

Steve Withers said:
It does but let's hope Star Trek Into Darkness is better than The Phantom Menace!

Agreed!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom