Star Trek Into Darkness Cinema Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Liverpool One. IMAX.

Stardate 10.05.2013.14.10

I'm sitting incognito amongst indigenous Scouse population. Gold/Mustard crew jersey fitting rather snugly, Starfleet emblem hidden carefully beneath jacket. Phaser (from release of JJ's first film ... and still the best goddamn light 'n' sound toy replica on the market!) in pocket - but set to stun. Communicator (model Galaxy SIII) switched off as per local law.

As Benedict Cumberbatch's renegade Starfleet Officer, John Harrison would say ...

"Now ... shall we begin?"

James Cameron may well be King of the World, but if J.J. Abrams isn't the Master of the Universe at the moment, then he is certainly the one whispering sweet nothings in the celestial ear of the one who is. But whilst we ponder upon how he will help co-ordinate the chaotic days after the Empire has been defeated in a new slew of...

Read the full review...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff Chris, the mark of 7/10 is spot on. I totally agree about your spoilery section, I've been saying as much for the last couple of days. :D

A few odds and ends:
The super serum will probably be confiscated by Starfleet in time for the next film, just like the transwarp beaming from the first movie. If you could beam across the galaxy at the speed of warp or be brought back to life by a blood transfusion then there wouldn't be much space travel or peril left in the universe, and I hope to God that they don't come up with another plot-shredding miracle invention for the next film. (Though the idea of something of Khan getting imprinted on Kirk is an interesting idea.)

As for cosmic coincidence, you do know that they actually broached that subject in the '09 film but it was cut from the final movie? The whole reason why the 'old' gang were being aligned so perfectly in spite of the new timeline is because the universe (be it fate, a higher power, whatever) is trying to put itself back the way it was before Nero's incursion. That was Spock Prime's theory anyway.

That said, the '09 flick feels so fresh precisely because it doesn't feel the need to retread the past. Yes, the universe is trying to rebuild itself, which is why the crew ends up together with Kirk as captain, but that's about as far as it goes, and the destruction of Vulcan is evidence of how ruthless the filmmakers were willing to be regarding existing Trek lore. So, JJ made his own sandbox to play in, and what does he do next? He plays it safe with a mashup of Star Treks II and VI.

Perhaps, just perhaps, JJ and co. thought they'd gone too far with Trek '09 and decided to give the fans something a bit more familiar, and maybe give the new recruits their own 'KHAAAAAAANNNN!!!" moment into the bargain. Only it didn't quite work...

Wouldn't that be a turn up for the books? The much maligned Mr Snyder ends up saving the blockbuster season...

It was like Skrillex remixing your favourite song.

You recognise bits of it, might even begrudgingly like bits of it, but ultimately, it's complete ****.

Quite looking forward to this one although i really had to glance over the review as i dont want any spoilers at all, i would take any reviews with a pinch of salt so far this year as the praise heaped on iron man 3 is a joke, while evil dead has its flaws i really enjoyed it at the theatre.

It was like Skrillex remixing your favourite song.

You recognise bits of it, might even begrudgingly like bits of it, but ultimately, it's complete ****.

ha ha ha

Standard JJ Abrahams formula. :(

Sorry for this I ran in to the thread rather than treading carefully.

Sincere apologies.

emissary.

Last edited:
Just got back from watching it at the local IMAX, and loved it.

Really wish they would do IMAX 2d, as the 3d was poor but other than that thumbs up for me.

Now want to go and rewatch the original version, as I haven't seen that in years and years.

Sorry lucasisking. My sincerest apologies. I hope you can forgive.

(I would remove the quote though in your reply.)

Sorry lucasisking. My sincerest apologies. I hope you can forgive.

(I would remove the quote though in your reply.)

Sorry to lose it on you just then, but I'd been deliberately avoiding plot spoilers. The unfortunate irony is I was meant to see this yesterday, but got delayed until tomorrow. If all had gone to plan, it would have been no harm done!

I looked away quickly when i read it, but what I saw is something I half suspected anyway.

I guess its only a movie...

Again apologies. I will be more mindful in the future.

:)

going tonight in 3d!

Not sure what spoiler there was, but if its what I suspect it was, then I wouldn't worry. It sounds major but really doesn't effect the movie that much, more a nod to startrek of old. There are plenty of twists to this that make it interesting.

Sorry to lose it on you just then, but I'd been deliberately avoiding plot spoilers. The unfortunate irony is I was meant to see this yesterday, but got delayed until tomorrow. If all had gone to plan, it would have been no harm done!

I looked away quickly when i read it, but what I saw is something I half suspected anyway.

I guess its only a movie...
Well, I hope that the disappointment of _____ getting spoiled is the only disappointment you have with this movie, as it gets stupider to me every time I think about it.

Well, I hope that the disappointment of _____ getting spoiled is the only disappointment you have with this movie, as it gets stupider to me every time I think about it.

Lol. That's pretty much how I feel about Skyfall.

I'm going to recalibrate my expectations more towards a Star Wars movie rather than a Star Trek one. Will that help? :)

Well I honestly don't know where this has all come from.:mad:

I took the family and we all really enjoyed it. There was more Trek in it than the first movie. There were more things being delt with than the first movie and it was a fantastic ride.

Not only that I thought it looked and sounded stunning. Easy the best looking sci fi in a long long time.

I really still don't like Chekov, and Simon pegg as Scotty as the comedy is just not fitting right but apart from that its great Trek.

What are people expecting? Look at the original trek. It was bombastic and sometimes silly, with kirk in fighting and flirting etc.
The JJ Trek is closer to the original trek imo. TNG and the others to follow were serious Trek that ultimately went so far from the original it alienated many people, and became bogged down.

The film does have layers but the great thing IMO is its masked with eye candy so everyone can find something.

Look at Mark Kermodes review for the proper angle. This AVF review has it wrong IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom