Star Trek General Chat

scrowe

I've given you an agree. When Deep Space 9 first launched, the first 3 seasons were awful, then it kicked into gear. The introduction of the Dominion was a stroke of genius.
Yeah, but that’s not the context the documentary highlights. It was aspects of the casting, particularly a male black lead at the time, reformed terrorists, gender-challenging stories, the full-on political and religious storylines, and later on the reality of war and morality, and overall the serialised story arcs. This on a network, syndicated TV show in the early 90s was unprecedented. It’s not that they went down one controversial path of the day, they travelled all of them. Admittedly Star Trek was famous for allegorical storytelling, but DS9 did it extra.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Yeah, but that’s not the context the documentary highlights. It was aspects of the casting, particularly a male black lead at the time, reformed terrorists, gender-challenging stories, the full-on political and religious storylines, and later on the reality of war and morality, and overall the serialised story arcs. This on a network, syndicated TV show in the early 90s was unprecedented. It’s not that they went down one controversial path of the day, they travelled all of them. Admittedly Star Trek was famous for allegorical storytelling, but DS9 did it extra.
Yes, you are spot on there. DS9 has some superb story lines and quite controversial themes at the time.
The first three seasons were still rubbish though.

VisionMan

We all love rating TV and film/movie content on here, but as for your post?

10/10 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

zantarous

I wouldn’t say the first 3 seasons are awful, they are infinitely more watchable then the first two seasons of TNG. I was one of the HiDef Hero backers from What We Left Behind abs my name appears in that section in the end credits, got to see it with a few 100 other Trek fans at ST Destination in 2018, that was a great experience seeing it with other DS9 fans. Have it on Blu-ray as well, if you have any interest in DS9 it’s worth a watch.

You can also import a 5 disc William Shatner boxset that has all his documentaries from Germany. It includes the excellent Chaos on the Bridge which is superb.

They also have I am Spock, which I got at the same time but haven’t yet seen. Germany seems to be the only place tut can see get these on Blu-ray, if dvd everywhere else.

zantarous

No thanks, as hes just a dick. A Great Capt, but in real life, just a dick.
What makes him a dick? I very rarely follow the real life person, but I have seen him at conventions twice in the last 5 years and he always came across as someone (especially later in life) who loved being part of Star Trek. For someone who was in his mid 80s he was incredibly switched on, very funny, spoke respectfully to people when they asked questions and entertained everyone with great stories from his career.

VisionMan

zantarous

Thanks for that. Just remember actors at conventions are just actors and at conventions hats exactly what they are doing.

Indiana Jones

Thanks...I'll keep an eye out for the DVD as it sounds like I'll enjoy it.

DS9 is one of my favorite Star Trek show's.
Has to be Blu-Ray IMO, the remastered footage and recreated space battle scenes need to be seen to be believed :eek:

I got the US 2 Disc release last year and while not cheap it was worth every penny.

Klippie

Yes also when Worf joined the crew...his introduction brought so many good things to DS9 his character was a perfect fit.

They were all good mind you it was one hell of a Star Trek show.

VisionMan

Deep Space Nine from season 4 onwards is my favourite Star Trek series. Its the dogs bollox.

Last edited:

Garrett

The Federation secret weapon joke warfare they play this to attacking forces and the cant use their controls for laughing.
I can only play about 30 second without pausing afraid Ill do some damage laughing so much.

VisionMan

The Federation secret weapon joke warfare they play this to attacking forces and the cant use their controls for laughing.

I can only play about 30 second without pausing afraid Ill do some damage laughing so much.

I listened to that. I'm really considering reporting you for a sense offence.

Garrett

I listened to that. I'm really considering reporting you for a sense offence.

And if you got to the end I'm reporting you for drug abuse I don't think I got above half the way though. :D

Klippie

I've started to watch Enterprise again from the start its a series I've grown to really enjoy, as with most Trek shows its takes a while to find its feet...I look forward to the Andorian episodes with Archer and Shran these were some of the best ever.

VisionMan

I've started to watch Enterprise again from the start its a series I've grown to really enjoy, as with most Trek shows its takes a while to find its feet...I look forward to the Andorian episodes with Archer and Shran these were some of the best ever.
Ah yes, Shran played by Jeffrey Combs. A fine Star Trek actor who played multiple roles. His favourite being the seven shades of Weyoun in DS9s Dominion War arc.

Last edited:

Garrett

It was not my favorite Star Trek series but on re watching become mine and season 3 and 4 are brilliant and as you say the ones with Shran add an extra bit of spice.

Garrett

Say 7 actors but the final one there a lot of the cast and not only did Lenard Nimoy survive the cut but Majel Barrett(Mrs Gene Roddenberry) did but character was changed. Also Paul Fix was droped from the second pilot and in came DeForest Kelly

BTW never know Alan Freeman/Fluff been in the series :rolleyes: :laugh:

Alan Freeman.jpg

OK its Scotty.

Klippie

Seeing some of the TNG episodes on TV recently they did blow very hot and cold a lot of poor filler episodes sprinkled with the memorable ones we all love...TNG is not my favourite TV Star Trek I liked them better in the movies.

Garrett

I preferred Kirsty Alley in the role. Her eyebrow was brilliant. :thumbsup:
I did and was that hot then thought Kirk would have taken a fancy to her.
Just checking on her found she half Vulcan and half Romulan and apparently was mentioned in the film but was cut, conflicted or could have with the TV series episode of Balance of Terror. Although her birth would have not been on Earth but seems to have risen in the ranks quick.

VisionMan

Seeing some of the TNG episodes on TV recently they did blow very hot and cold a lot of poor filler episodes sprinkled with the memorable ones we all love...TNG is not my favourite TV Star Trek I liked them better in the movies.
I didn't like TNG movies apart from First Contact.They are pure hollywood action films in typical JJ Abrams style and nothing like the TV series. I loved the first JJ Abrams movie the most. They nailed every character to a T.

Last edited:

VisionMan

Apparently, when it starts filming, The new Anson Mount Pike series will be a mixture of weekly standalone episodes and some that run for a few weeks. I like the sound of that.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Apparently, when it starts filming, The new Anson Mount Pike series will be a mixture of weekly standalone episodes and some that run for a few weeks. I like the sound of that.
Same here. I've just watched the third episode of Picard and it's been very dull so far. I'm not sure I'll be able to manage watching another seven to complete the story.

Bri

VisionMan

Same here. I've just watched the third episode of Picard and it's been very dull so far. I'm not sure I'll be able to manage watching another seven to complete the story.
Bri
I stuck with it until the end. Its a decent 6 but doesn't have any rewatch value.