Star Trek General Chat

watched the Final Frontier earlier in the week, I remember recording this of the TV in the 90s and watching a lot. I have never disliked this film and it has been around 10 years since I watched it last. Still find it to be an enjoyable romp, yes the plot is a bit out there, but they were going to have to do this eventually.

Say what you will about Shatner and his directing ability but I thought V looked very cinamatic compared to to 3 and 4. It is filled with some great character moments and Shatner's delivery of the infamous "Excuse me, what does God need with a Starship" is something that stays with you forever.

The film is also opens and closes with two perfect scenes of the trinity doing camping out together. The Klingon subplot seemed wasteful and the end of the main plot is very anticlimactic and has little tension.

I have also one back and been listening to the commentaries on the movies done the first film and now on the second track on the second movie. They have some great insights into the films and lost of excellent trivia, they are great background listening when I have my evening playtime with my cats and G&T.

On my TNG rewatch I have one more episode then it is best of Both worlds, now to decide to watch two parts on the season Blu-ray sets or as a feature length episode on the standalone Blu-ray?

watched the Final Frontier earlier in the week,

I went to watch this with my then girlfriend who was also a Star Trek fan, on its cinematic release. We walked out half way through because we both thought it was *hit. Thankfully it didn't ruin the date and I ended up marrying her.

I went to watch this with my then girlfriend who was also a Star Trek fan, on its cinematic release. We walked out half way through because we both thought it was *hit. Thankfully it didn't ruin the date and I ended up marrying her.

picard2.gif

(A section appropriate gif)

Thought it was a hit but walked out half the way though, had better things on your mind:rolleyes::D

But you did watch the movie eventually right?

Now on a weeks annual leave I watched The Best of Both Worlds. I am not going to say anything about the episode as everything probably has already been said. What I would like to comment on is the fact that Blu-ray is a staggering piece of work, it just looks so incredibly amazing. Every time I watch a TNG episode I am floored with just how incredible it looks and how good DS9 and Voyager could look if also remastered. Have to give a shout out to the DTSHD audio in BoBW it really immersed you in to the action.

The new special features created for the Blu-ray are pretty damn good as well, way better then the fluff pieces that appeared on the original DVD and they really dive into the behind the scene stuff and talk candidly about their experiences.

Tonight's feature: Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country.

I always thought in 7 they just seemed to ignore the implications of that episode in future episodes.
And one not mentioned is the Conspiracy bugs which some say the idea was changed to the Borg.

I always thought in 7 they just seemed to ignore the implications of that episode in future episodes.
And one not mentioned is the Conspiracy bugs which some say the idea was changed to the Borg.

I have not got a clue what one word of that means. Sorry and what?

Last edited:
Watched The Undiscovered Country the other night. What a truly awesome movie to finish of a series. You would expect the quality to completely deteriorate by the 6th movie but no cast and crew hit a home run.

Having first seen this as a teenager I never clocked on to the fact that this was an allegory for the fall of the wall/communism. In fact I still didn’t get it until I watched the making of documentary. But it’s right in your in face with it once you realise.

For those that like their Trek not to stray from Roddenberry’s vision, this about as far as you can, lots of racisms from Starfleet members especially Kirk, rouge admirals with their own agenda etc.

That final line and shot of the main cast was truly a tear jerker of a moment, the end of an era. I am now gagging for Paramount to remaster these for 4K release in 4K Blu-ray.

Watched Trekkies today, it’s a 1997 documentary staring Denise Crosby who goes to conventions and talks to fans and looks closer at some of the Uber ones. There was a lady who would dress up in her TNG uniform for normal days things, even went to jury duty in it. She really took it seriously.

It was a pretty fascinating look at nerd culture in a time when Trek was going through its golden period but it’s wasn’tyet cool to be a nerd. It’s very 90s and it really took me back to my teenage years and was around the time I started going to conventions and stuff.

There is a sequel that was done about 8 years later as well.

Working my way through S4 of TNG and seen some excellent episodes Remember Me, a Dr Crusher episode where she doesn't have a lazy love story and Reunion an great Klingon episode. Prior to this rewatch I thought all the good Klingon episodes were in DS9 but Sins of the Father (a 5 star episode) and Reunion tells me otherwise.

Also for fun I spent sum of yesterday setting up some spreadsheets so I can record my own personal score for each episode and it will be fun to see how may actual good episodes there are in each Trek series.

I watched the 2009 JJ movie last week, interestingly I used to like this film. Having watched the TOS films recently prior to this, the 2009 movie just came across so soulless, overly flashy and of little substance. For every bit of fan service or call backs they also did some horrendous thing like tanswarp beaming and the engine room that looked like a brewery.

Don't think I like it as much anymore.

For every bit of fan service or call backs they also did some horrendous thing like tanswarp beaming and the engine room that looked like a brewery.

I was shocked by that. It did look like a brewery packed with mechanical machines. Though didn't have a problem with the transwarp anything.

Has anyone seen bits of Star Trek on the Horror channel? I can't understand that it looks like the upgraded versions they are showing but the quality really abysmal especially when the show the bridge and have most of it shown you have job to make out some of the crew have faces.

Some more on cuts and originally un-screened episodes.
Spoilers

Just polished off watching the series 1 & 2 Blu-ray of Discovery on my projector the picture quality is excellent but the sound is something else it makes the show all the better listening to a decent audio track.

I loved Discovery the first time around on TV but watching it for the second time I had missed so much happening it truly is a superb show...can't wait for series 3 to start.

Has anyone seen the DS9 documentry "What We Left Behind"

Yes, bought it on AppleTV when it was relatively cheap £7.99 I think.

Very nostalgic, highlighted why DS9 was so unique both in Star Trek history, but more so TV in general, with its casting and story choices. It’s clear the cast got along, and in the main realise they’re we’re doing something special and worthwhile. That said the reason for Terry Farrell leaving was a bit sanitised, though not ignored, and I think overall it was a bit indulgent in places, if not eccentric.

Thanks...I'll keep an eye out for the DVD as it sounds like I'll enjoy it.

DS9 is one of my favorite Star Trek show's.

Very nostalgic, highlighted why DS9 was so unique both in Star Trek history, but more so TV in general, with its casting and story choices. It’s clear the cast got along, and in the main realise they’re we’re doing something special and worthwhile. That said the reason for Terry Farrell leaving was a bit sanitised, though not ignored, and I think overall it was a bit indulgent in places, if not eccentric.

I've given you an agree. When Deep Space 9 first launched, the first 3 seasons were awful, then it kicked into gear. The introduction of the Dominion was a stroke of genius.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom