Star Trek General Chat

Enterprise didn't need to be remastered, it was put out in HD the first time.

Enterprise didn't need to be remastered, it was put out in HD the first time.
My misunderstanding - I thought @VisionMan was referring to the only "Star Trek" shows that were available in HD.

As we all know, they currently are:

TOS
TAS
TNG
Enterprise
Star Trek Continues
Discovery
Picard
Lower Decks

There is also:

The Roddenberry Vault
Short Treks

But they're one-offs, not a series.

Last edited:
Picard & Discovery are being produced not only in HD, but also in Dolby-Vision.

I enjoyed DS9 & Voyager, but feel less inclined to seek them out for my collection if they remain in SD & Stereo.
Are the DVDs in Surround-Sound?
When I was watching on BBC-America this week, those ambient sounds of the station in the satellite speakers are great in DS9, it just adds a welcome element.

I watch it when it's free, but I'm dubious about dropping any dosh on it.
That will probably cinch their remastering it, the day after I purchase in SD they will remaster to UHD.

I'm just guessing that Paramount got bitten when they remastered TNG.
Maybe the series on blu-ray didn't sell that well?

I'm just guessing that Paramount got bitten when they remastered TNG.
Maybe the series on blu-ray didn't sell that well?

Robert Meyer Burnett on Twitter - "Each episode of #TNG cost about $70,000 to remaster in HD. If you buy the complete series box set, each episode costs you less than a buck."

Reply - "And given that DS9 would cost even more, that's probably the final nail in that coffin (if any of us still had a shred of hope). Damn."

They just didn't sell enough.

They'd need to sell 123,200 sets of TNG to just break even.
It's $100 USD on Vudu or iTunes, but I think once/year it's on sale for $50 & like an idiot I didn't buy it last month when it was on sale.

Robert Meyer Burnett on Twitter - "Each episode of #TNG cost about $70,000 to remaster in HD. If you buy the complete series box set, each episode costs you less than a buck."

Reply - "And given that DS9 would cost even more, that's probably the final nail in that coffin (if any of us still had a shred of hope). Damn."

They just didn't sell enough.
Do remember though that this set of circumstances were pre-streaming, where the main economics and return was via physical media sales. Its also 10 years on.

The costs/techniques may become much cheaper, and the appetite to preserve the series on streaming may yet co-align in the future.

I do wonder if eventually almost everything will get remastered to UHD, especially when I'm buying up HD-only streaming films.
I try to buy on iTunes if the price is good there, because Apple will automatically upgrade you to UHD For free in the event that a UHD version is released.

Voyager & DS9 were both filmed on 35mm, which is capable of being output to 6,000 pixels (6K).
Stereo to Surround-Sound might be a tough thing to accomplish.

If one purchases streaming content online via an online provider, say, Amazon, if one then cancels Amazon does one still get access to said paid for content? Or is it lost until ones subscription is renewed?

You don't even need to be a paying subscriber to buy a film or series on Amazon or Vudu.
In fact, Vudu doesn't have a subscription model.
iTunes does, but in the form of Apple-TV+

My standing rule is only to buy online streaming films if they are part of the partnership of Movies Anywhere, because then I can access them from almost every platform.

I might have been clever not to buy TNG on Vudu, because if I buy on iTunes this year, when/if they ever bump it up to UHD I will get that upgrade free.

You don't even need to be a paying subscriber to buy a film or series on Amazon or Vudu.
In fact, Vudu doesn't have a subscription model.
iTunes does, but in the form of Apple-TV+

My standing rule is only to buy online streaming films if they are part of the partnership of Movies Anywhere, because then I can access them from almost every platform.

I might have been clever not to buy TNG on Vudu, because if I buy on iTunes this year, when/if they ever bump it up to UHD I will get that upgrade free.

Thanks. But that really doesn't answer my question.

It does if you understand that a non-subscriber can own a license to view, which is what I explained.

Unfortunately, if Amazon remove it from their service, you can no longer watch, even if you paid for it.
This happened with Stargate Atlantis & the fans were LIVID!
They were playing a game of yo-yo with SGA: on, off, on again, off....

I won't buy S.T. on Prime-Video, for this reason:
1642281932467.png

Also, I believe I mentioned already, Prime-Video will NOT sell a complete series, only seasons or episodes, very expensive.

Thankfully that hasn’t been the case the couple of seasons of King of the Hill I got from ITunes. Despite being taken off years ago I can still play them.

Last edited:
I'm holding out for that iTunes sale on TNG & Enterprise this year.
It was just dumb luck that I grabbed TOS on blu-ray for just over $20.

Unfortunately, if Amazon remove it from their service, you can no longer watch, even if you paid for it.
This happened with Stargate Atlantis & the fans were LIVID!
They were playing a game of yo-yo with SGA: on, off, on again, off....

I won't buy S.T. on Prime-Video, for this reason:
View attachment 1637222

Also, I believe I mentioned already, Prime-Video will NOT sell a complete series, only seasons or episodes, very expensive.
That isn’t how it works in the main. The key issue is streamers that offer digital purchases are only distributors of the content on behalf of the rights-holder. If the distribution deal expires and is not renewed, the content can then disappear entirely from the platform. Whilst incidents like this are still rare, I will continue to buy physical media as long as it’s available.

Well, I watched it happen last year.
MGM/Warner Bros. 'took back' Stargate from the distributors, which is what's happening now with Star Trek & Paramount.

Last edited:
Well, I watched it happen last year.
MGM/Warner Bros. 'took back' Stargate from the distributors, which is what's happening now with Star Trek & Paramount.
I never disputed that, I was confirming that it 'does' happen, albeit it is quite rare to-date. As I said, this is why I will still buy physical media, for the exact reason I don't want my digital purchases potentially stolen from me.

However, I only understood Paramount+ to be claiming exclusive rights to streaming. I had not heard that this action will affect consumers who have directly purchased content from digital platforms?

I'm not sure what's going on to be honest.
SGA was on & off NetFlix & Amazon, & eventually completely gone, but now it's on Hulu.
So I don't & can't claim to have any insider knowledge.

It's possible to purchase SGA on Vudu, but only by season, not as a complete series.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom