Star Trek: First Contact 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
My favourite of the Trek films and a must have.
The mirror scene always comes to mind with it's whirling around the room audio.
So great to have seen it originally at the cinema.
Going from VHS, DVD, Blu ray and now UHD. How did the film companies ever survive.

I've never been a huge fan of Star Trek, apart from the three "reboots", but this one is a favourite.
Great to see positive reviews for the UHD, I'll be ordering this..

Does anyone know when this will be 4k on iTunes? I already own the Next Gen films on that format and would love to watch them in UHD

Hi Simon

My personal favorite of all Star trek films, and your review has pushed me into getting this one straight off the bat owing to the picture quality being on point.

Although some parts of the Earth scenes at the beginning of the film are a little flaky, in general this film met my expectations of both Star Trek and Sci Fi in general as a good film. Plenty of action and the Borg always a good villain.

My only annoyance is that Generations is in the box set as I have no inclination to watch that movie again, I enjoyed Insurrection and Nemesis, so looks like I will have to buy them solo.

Looking forward to the reviews on those 2 films as picture quality is key to me going for them or just streaming them when they become available to do that.

Thanks again
Gordon

My personal favourite of the next gen films, I remember seeing this in the cinema and really enjoying it. It's good to see all these films getting top notch releases in 4K (though Paramount is hardly going to ignore an excuse to milk yet more money from ST fans!!)

I don't think I'd watch it enough to justify buying now, but maybe when there's a price drop.

Does anyone know when this will be 4k on iTunes? I already own the Next Gen films on that format and would love to watch them in UHD
Whether it’s the same version or not I don’t know, but if you look on the itunes it currently shows as 4k Dolby Vision

Watched this again just the other day. Such a great sci-fi flick.

The queens “head” coming down is still an awesome design

Yes definitely the best of the TNG movies and the Borg are still the best enemy introduced in any Star Trek series (albeit they did get watered down in Voyager).

Will definitely give this a re watch in 4k. The score from this Movie is superb and I still listen to it on a regular basis.

Hi Simon

My personal favorite of all Star trek films, and your review has pushed me into getting this one straight off the bat owing to the picture quality being on point.

Although some parts of the Earth scenes at the beginning of the film are a little flaky, in general this film met my expectations of both Star Trek and Sci Fi in general as a good film. Plenty of action and the Borg always a good villain.

My only annoyance is that Generations is in the box set as I have no inclination to watch that movie again, I enjoyed Insurrection and Nemesis, so looks like I will have to buy them solo.

Looking forward to the reviews on those 2 films as picture quality is key to me going for them or just streaming them when they become available to do that.

Thanks again
Gordon
Well there is no price difference between buying the boxset or getting them individually so nothing wrong with skipping Generations if you don't care for it.

Had my individuals of 7-10 delivered today by HMV, think I am going to have to skip Generations and go straight for First Contact what with it being First Contact Day :)

Like Generations I watched First Contact at the old Odeon in Manchester back in the day.

Definitely the best TNG movie and will pick it up in the future when it is on offer and I am also looking forward to watching Picard Season 3 on Blu-ray.

Yes definitely the best of the TNG movies and the Borg are still the best enemy introduced in any Star Trek series (albeit they did get watered down in Voyager).

Will definitely give this a re watch in 4k. The score from this Movie is superb and I still listen to it on a regular basis.
Species 8472 give them a run for their money 😉😉😉

Whether it’s the same version or not I don’t know, but if you look on the itunes it currently shows as 4k Dolby Vision
That’s odd, if I search on the main list it’s 4k but in my library (already purchased) it’s HD, I was sure you got free upgrades

That’s odd, if I search on the main list it’s 4k but in my library (already purchased) it’s HD, I was sure you got free upgrades
You do.

Maybe try playing it and it might update the main details?

This is my fave of the non “Kirk” Trek movies. Not sure if its enough to warrant a purchase but it’s a definately maybe. Decent price (at least on the US) too so it’ll probably be $9.99 by Black Friday lol.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this one being the best of the next generation films do they? And I'm definitely going to buy all these in 4K but hanging fire just in case that inevitable super set is worth waiting for!

Mine was updated this morning

I don't think anyone disagrees with this one being the best of the next generation films do they? And I'm definitely going to buy all these in 4K but hanging fire just in case that inevitable super set is worth waiting for!
I am sure a 1-10 set is in the works but it won’t be cheap that’s for sure.

Last time I watched this was on NTSC Laserdisc!
The Dolby Digital track was sublime though I think I need to upgrade

FC is definitely a great Trek film. It's not perfect, but it's always been one of my favorites. The Borg have always made for a great villain, and for Picard to go toe-to-toe with the Borg Queen was just great. The action is great throughout, the visuals top-notch. My only real gripe is that I wish that the opening battle with the Federation fleet vs the Borg cube had gone on a little longer, at least 2-3 minutes.

Thanks for the Review Simon.

iTunes USA are offering the four Movies for $19.99 ($9.99 individually).
Despite the quality being behind the disk, this is a very tempting offer - my surround system is Ok, but I doubt I gain enough extra audible quality to hold out for the disks, even though FC & Generations are my fave two & the only ones I REALLY want. (Still enjoy Nemesis - certain bits).

Clearly the best of the bunch and the only one I have bought on disk. The free 4K upgrade on the iTunes set will do me for the rest.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom