1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek DVD's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Pygmy Hippo, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now i could be wrong on this - but isn't Paramount planning to do a special edition of Star Trek : The Motion Picture? And after that they are planning to do a special edition of The Wrath of Khan?
    Because if they are I have only one question - Are you going to complete the R2 bare bones releases?
    I've bought 6-2 on bare-bones release before I knew that TMP was going to be a special edtion - I don't think i would of bothered if I knew that they were going to be superceded without even finishing the damn collection off.
    So is my ranting unwarranted and i've just got the wrong end of the stick? Or is anyone else a little annoyed?

Rant Over :)

Steve (who just want's his DVD collection to look pretty!)

2. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2-6 ST movies in the UK are identical to the US releases.

I recently bought ST:TMP (Directors Cut) R1 and this is soon to get a R2 release.

ST:TWOK, is to get a special edition, hopefully incorporating the extra footage that turned up on the Us television print etc.

It will obviuosly get a R1 release first, can't say when the R2 release will be, although not for a while I'd guess as the bare bones version has only been out a while.

Basicly, ST movies are like Bond films. They get continuously re-released. The distributors expect you to buy these at least 3 times during your life.

As for the above, if you want the latest versions availble, buy R1.

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    ST2 SE R1 due June 25, ST 3 SE R1 due before years end.

expect 4 & 5 in '03 etc......

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    :clown:

5. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be definitely be up for buying new editions of the film, basically 'cos i'm a complete saddo :) i'm just a little annoyed that they can't be bothered to finish off the original bare bones versions with only one to go - don't they realise that my collection just isn't going to look right? No consideration at all...... :)

Ah well - I guess i can always flog 'em and start over again (just in time for the complete re-issue when the new film comes out)

Steve

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good old Paramount - you gotta love em!

What's the betting there will then be special edition ltd number 'collectors editions' of the special editions, followed by a special edition box set, followed by the release of 'extra special' special editions?!

:rolleyes:

7. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

What's the betting the internet would be jammed with complaints if the Mount had taken the time to gather bags of material for each movie in order to release it as a SE, but only say got as far as 5 or 6 so far?

Re-releases as SEs are a fact of life, get over it. I bought 'em first time around, and I'll buy 'em again as SEs (having sold the movie only discs on e-bay).

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't agree I am afraid. Paramount release the bare bones films knowing full well that they will be superceded within months.
    It is all very well saying that 're-releases are a fact of life, get over it', but what about those who cannot afford to "get over it"?
    Releasing the films twice is nothing short of exploitation of the fans (especially young people). It doesn't have to be that way - see Star Wars for example - they may be a long time coming but at least George Lucas has decided that quality is more important than a quick buck. He could have just released the films as bare bones editions, but didn't, Instead he is waiting until a 'proper' release is possible.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Watch your step Wayne - I have sent you a PM. Please read it!

Lex.

10. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Lex,

Interesting you should mention the Star Wars trilogy, as it is exactly this I refer to when I said "Damned if they do, damned if they don't". Remember the (ongoing to some extent) uproar when it was announced that none of the 3 originals would appear on DVD 'til after episode 3 is out? Many would like to see bare bones now and SEs later.

At least Paramount have waited 2 years after the original R1 bare bones release (July 2000) before the SE.

edit: Thanks re: your last post Lex, I'd already sent a complaint to the admin staff - I don't intend to get involved in a slanging match:) Don't want this place turning in to The DVD Forums after all!

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I must have missed that uproar! I still think it is exploitative - this kind of thing only happens when the studio know that a hardcore fan base exists (usually kids) and that they can get extra money out of them through multiple releases.

Maybe there are better examples than SW. T2/Robocop/Lawrence of Arabia were all DVDs I waited a long time for, but the special editions were well worth the wait (IMHO).

Personally I am happy to wait for the 'definitive' editions to be released. Maybe I am in the minority :rolleyes:

12. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Because of a reducing amount of patience with newbies, I seem to be applying a zero tollerance policy at the moment.
    Deleted him.

13. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The re-hash as it were of dvds is only a follow on from vidz afterall, nothing new as noted above. Paramount and Lucas are far up on the guilt list of repackaging vidz to death for the same thing, often all that changed previous was the box! I always despised Lucas for this as what more was to gain but money. The only legitimate claim he ahd was the remastered version but then there were new conditions for customers on copies of those. Hopefully the 'only' thing they can do with dvds is get two releases and be done, though this is wishful thinking as LOTR is about to prove.
    The ugly face of capitalism masked by consumer fetishism.:devil:

14. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't object so much to re-issuing and re-packaging, i am realistic about these things - but i do get a little annoyed when they suddenly stop before they finish the last one.
    How many other people have bought these DVD's so they can "collect the set" only to be thwarted at the last minute?

15. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Almost off topic, but...

Anyone heard anything about a R2 release of the Original Series episodes on DVD?

16. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - The Director's Edition

confirmed (as much as it could ever be) for August 6th.

The Digital Bits

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paramount announced the fact that they were going to reissue all the ST dvds as SEs last year (mid summer)

18. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that the ST films were going to be re-released in a special edition format and have known about the directors edition of ST:TMP for a long whilst - but the thing is this - in R2 the films were released backwards from 6 to 2 in big silver boxes that were quite pleasant and certainly very unlike the Amaray case that number 1 comes in.
    I know it may sound petty but couldn't it of just been released in the same type of packaging?
    The problem is that Paramount knows that most of Star Trek fans will buy dog poo if it has the Star Trek name on it (see Star Trek Voyager if you don't believe me! :) ) and they know that everyone will want to buy it all on DVD again - but asking us to do it within 6 months? Someone is extracting the urine surely?

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have to say though that they did a grand job with the ST: The Motion Picture DVD.

If they are all as good as that i shall be happy!

This is the way director's cuts should be done, Robert wise has really thought out what he wanted to change with the film, unlike George Lucas who seems to just plaster his films with gratuatous special effects shots!