Star Trek Discovery Seasons 1-4

Thats an extremely offensive and ignorant comment. How extremely un-Trek like. To me, she represents 'you don't always have to be beautiful to be in Star Trek'. And theres nowt wrong with that.

I think she's actually quite attractive. It's her 21st century personality that I find silly and out of place, but then they're all like it aren't they. And although there's nothing wrong with being a little 'fuller figured', I find it unlikely that 'fat shaming' will be a thing in the far future. The Enterprise-D crew were always exercising and training off duty, especially Riker (who was trying to keep his 'Shatner belly' at bay).

Thats an extremely offensive and ignorant comment. How extremely un-Trek like. To me, she represents 'you don't always have to be beautiful to be in Star Trek'. And theres nowt wrong with that.

Mate, there's not a chance that I'd have kicked Gwynyth Walsh or Susie Plakson out of bed, even in full klingon get up - but even I have my limits.

It's interesting for me coming to this thread and seeing that we do tick in different ways. There's not an absolute objective view about what's good as we like different things. I liked the more darkness in episode 1 "oh - people are going to get shot in the stomach now in Trek", I'm not entirely comfortable with how some of the relationships have been handled in Discovery, but i LOVEd DS9.

Discovery has grown on me, it wasnt terrible to begin with, but not really trek enough for me.
It has to a certain extent improved that.
But, it is far too desperate to throw as much diversity in our faces as it can.
the writers seem to forget we have had transgendered trill before for example, but seem to be pointing at it at every opportunity like its some huge deal.
Id rather they just have a decent story, that happens to involve the characters in the show, and they just happen to be whatever race/sex/gender/orientation they happen to be.
IMO, saru is the best character in the show.

This has cancelled written all over it.
I've given up, it's got so irritating and the constant crying and nonsensical characters are doing my head in.
Stopped watching at episode 8 then decided I’ll finish it off watched 2 more but basically in the background as I’m on the forums here, all the crying and whispering dialogue gets right in my tits, the shoehorning of every gender sexual relationship etc reminds me of the Last Jedi, just give me some decent action and acting I don’t care about all the other stuff

Why is there even a data core chamber with a programmable matter thingy big enough to swallow a person? One of lots of things the writers pulled out of their ass, unexplained, and nothing to do with established trek worldbuilding. But fine, whatever.

More importantly than that, how do you explain Tardis Discovery?
The Data Core swallowing somebody? Quite frankly with all the other nonsense going on - not all of which I understood - in particular your other comment and the ability to walk between sections of the ship which are no longer attached I felt insulted by poor story telling. Season 3 (after the very promising S2) had too much going on, was tricky to understand and continually asked the audience to care about characters who didn’t deserved it as we hardly know them - as well as going full on Die Hard in a spaceship - just lazy. A show with just her and her boyfriend zipping around a new and different universe would have been sooo much better?

Sorry but I’ve enjoyed Trek since a young lad (went to see Shatner on stage last year and many decades ago shook George Takei’s hand (he was doing panto in Brighton) but after the general poor show of this and Pickard Ill be reading reviews before watching any more? Maybe I’ve been spoilt by The Mandalorian and The Expanse and other shows from our current golden age of TV (The Leftovers?).

Sorry for the rant but honestly felt insulted by S3, your own mileage will vary and if you enjoy it good luck to you.

If it's all the same, I'll tell you what it is I think, not you.

Crossfield Class is 750m long according to official source. Most of that length is in its unusual long nacelles. I'd guess the space between Disco shuttle Bay and the primary hull is a few hundred metres, tops. It's not 'miles'.

Does it really matter? Yes! When watching trek, you should only need to suspend disbelief once. Discovery requires it constantly within a single episode. When you can't believe what you're seeing, how is one supposed to care what happens? It becomes just sound & fury signifying nothing.
A good pint well made, if I cared about all the characters I could overlook the Turbo lift debacle (as Archers fans did when someone worked out a characters dying scream from the church roof meant it was higher than St Pauls!) decent dramatic licence is fine.

As you say this happens every 5 mins in Discovery, I’d just like to remind everyone that for some bizarre reason (looks nice) one of the Discovery’s refit updates was to now have the warp nascelles detached and held on by force fields only - so how do you repair them then!

I’d just like to remind everyone that for some bizarre reason (looks nice) one of the Discovery’s refit updates was to now have the warp nascelles detached and held on by force fields only - so how do you repair them then!

Not really a major plot point....

Very late to the party with s3.

Enjoyed it, it's a decent watch. Liked the premise of the Trek universe moved forward by 930 years.

Episodes are zippy and the bad guys are good fun. Also a big fan of the new tech and gadgets.

I would criticise the writers for not fixing the faults from the first two series: where the hell is the crew and who are they?

For people who thought Disco was too Burnham-centric, this season won't change your mind. Burnham is the alpha and the omega.

Other crew members may do the research, but it's all talk until Burnham steps up. It's like Kirk on mega-steroids. With a ripped shirt.

Not a problem per se, but the writers fall short because the crew almost feels redundant. It's a one-officer crew.

Stamets and Culver are characters I really like. I'd like to see their relationship move past angst-ridden mode. Anthony Rapp and Wilson Cruz are great in their roles, so make use of them.

Tilly is my favourite character. Feels like a geek in Starfleet. If I was 15 years or so a few years younger, I could see myself with her slightly awkward demeanor.

Saru seems slightly wasted. Good work from Doug Jones, but is overshadowed by Burnham.

Georgiou is full of sass and snappy retorts. Yet when we see something interesting, she's gone.

Reno has great chemistry with Stamets, but not enough screen time.

Adira and Gray could be interesting - symbiont characters are worth digging into - but also lack screen time.

The bridge crew is a bunch of faces and names, not characters. Desperately need more dialogue, screen time, and episodes where they can take the lead.

I got some sense of anxiety from Detmer and the bond she has with Owosekun, though I don't really know much about either of them.

Rhys, Bryce, Nilsson are almost anonymous. They're Disco's red shirts in terms of characterisation.

The crew starts to come together in the final few episodes, especially Saru, though it does feel a bit late.

The writers have done a really poor job of making a crew. It's an odd with an ST crew, to see familiar faces but with no idea what some of them are like. After three seasons, I can't picture my fan fiction with this crew.

That being said, trying to shuffle so many characters is extremely hard. With Burnham occupying the limelight, it's nigh on impossible.

There's still something to be said about ST's traditional approach: three or four leading crew members, another three or four supporting. Actual supporting roles rather than glorified extras.

Four obvious leads for s4: Burnham, Tilly, Stamets, Culber.

Hard to juggle the rest of the gang, but Game of Thrones managed a big cast whilst still creating memorable characters.

After all my whining, I still enjoyed Disco, and I'm looking forward to s4. It's different to other ST series, and I think that's a good thing.

There is a constant in the ST universe just as there is with the Federation: the idea that we can and will be better with others.

EDIT: typo.

Two more points: why bother
hunting down more dilithium for warp travel? Just develop an FTL method of travel that runs on Burnham Tears. Fuel to the end of time.

Also, stop asking Sonequa Martin-Green to cry every episode! Most people would be an emotional wreck after three seasons of this treatment. 🥺

If I was her, I'd make sure that my agent would insist that CBS pay for a therapist.

Two more points: why bother
hunting down more dilithium for warp travel? Just develop an FTL method of travel that runs on Burnham Tears. Fuel to the end of time.

Also, stop asking Sonequa Martin-Green to cry every episode! Most people would be an emotional wreck after three seasons of this treatment. 🥺

If I was her, I'd make sure that my agent would insist that CBS pay for a therapist.

I like it as well so maybe you might need to do a warp drive? If you don't like it then fair enough. The Bridge Crew definitely need more fleshing out for season 4. Other than that, yeah, it can be very enjoyable. The Red Angel scenes in this overall series are spectacular and full of emotion. A lot of detractors don't like to mention that (but some have). Its decent Trek but as with other series, flawed.

Finished this the weekend and really enjoyed it, thought the last episode was great fun. Not read all the negatives as can't be bothered but I have enjoyed all 3 seasons so far, roll on Season 4 as for me it was just entertainment and decent sci fi. Oh and it looked bloody good also.

Finished this the weekend and really enjoyed it, thought the last episode was great fun. Not read all the negatives as can't be bothered but I have enjoyed all 3 seasons so far, roll on Season 4 as for me it was just entertainment and decent sci fi. Oh and it looked bloody good also.

The visuals are top class aren't they? Cinematic standard at its very best.

I had great hopes for series 3 it started so well then bombed, this however is not looking good I just don't like the direction they have taken with Discovery...too much touchy feely nonsense but of course this is pandering to the snowflake generation and if the don't they will be cancelled.

Long-range sensors detect another emotional rollercoaster for Michael Burnham.

b705c0b.jpg

Joking aside, I'm looking forward to season 4. New uniforms look quite nice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom