Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Premiere (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

I enjoyed Picard more - probably nostalgia, but the story was also better.

Story? That show was a masterclass in how to drag out a couple of episodes worth of material into ten glacially slow episodes...they spent an entire episode drinking wine and eating pizza with the Rikers FFkS!

Still, giving the most charismatic captain in Starfleet history his own show was never going to end well.

Last edited:
Phillipa to Burnham and in front of a Q too.

A Q? He was the guardian of forever, I don't see the Q connection...nor do I want to as the Q were one of the most useless and irritating alien races ever (in ANY sci-fi show).

This show is getting at least two more season as far as I know...

Reading around on the 'net it appears that the show will not be returning for a fourth season. No great loss after the disaster that was season 3.

Reading around on the 'net it appears that the show will not be returning for a fourth season. No great loss after the disaster that was season 3.
You must be looking at very old articles. There is definitely something weird about how S3 ended and how various ‘announcements’ of S4 and even S5 were made semi-officially but never officially. But after the Paramount+ presentation last week, it’s pretty clear where we stand, albeit hopefully some new/better creatives are onboard.

@VisionMan ’s favourite YouTube channel Midnight’s Edge even did a video on it last week, with their usual mix of speculation, factualisation, and insider/rumour/unconfirmed sources. The interesting bits I remember is they’ve cut budgets back, DISCO will film S4/S5 back-to-back to amortise costs, and they will be using the Disney/Mandalorian Stagecraft technology to help lower production costs, and the ‘funding’ has come from Paramount+ to keep going, as they need the content, and they still hope to pickup International Distribution, as Netflix and Amazon are out at the current asking price. They also were able to recoup a lot of money from sub-letting studio space they prebooked for many years upfront. Presumably because they originally forecasted having more shows in co-production at this point, following the original Kurtzman 5-Yr master plan.

They also were able to recoup a lot of money from sub-letting studio space they prebooked for many years upfront. Presumably because they originally forecasted having more shows in co-production at this point, following the original Kurtzman 5-Yr master plan.

Or a planet wide shutdown might have had something to do with it. :facepalm:

Last edited:
You must be looking at very old articles.

Nope, ones that have been published since the season finale went out.

And yes, I did see that Midnight's Edge video, youtube put it on my suggested list and it was what made me go looking for more info. I did think at the time of watching it that that ending seemed pretty final, and the guy who plays Saru has stated online (twitter?) that the actors have all been let go.

Either way, if there are any more seasons I won't be bothering to watch since they've murdered the show so comprehensively. :thumbsdow

We started season 3 the other night and onto episode 8 now, enjoying it so far. Easy enough to watch with some decent nods to old trek and stories.

I must of missed something though....
How was Michael's Mum still alive?

I loved S3. Hit the spot for me.

Not really looking forward to it. But I will watch it, however, the actress playing Burnham has less than zero charisma or empathy and I found her po faced mutterings irritating at times in series 3

It may be a short engagement with series 4

Not really looking forward to it.

Oh I am, but may wait on this one to binge watch it. The series is certainly unlike any Trek thats come before it and so can understand many Trek fans reticence. Mind you, the cartoon Lower Decks split a lot of opinions as well.

You know how lately main actors can get the chop any time in the series, let's hope boring Burham gets a photon torpedo right where it hurts ...... 2nd episode if poss.

I am dreading what they do this time to the franchise. I guess eventually you have to accept the new stuff is only loosely based upon the original Roddenberry concept. Will watch it just for the effects as I always have the fast forward button.

I am dreading what they do this time to the franchise. I guess eventually you have to accept the new stuff is only loosely based upon the original Roddenberry concept. Will watch it just for the effects as I always have the fast forward button.
And in 15 years time when people are moaning about the new Star Trek on offer then we’ll see folk saying they’re (re-)watching Discovey and think its not all that bad. It’s the same old, it happened with DS9, then Enterprise and will happen again. Now that you mention Roddenberry’s original concept though, what do you think of DS9?

I can’t watch DS9. I’ve tried but find it too wishy washy with weak predictable characters and storylines.

I can’t watch DS9. I’ve tried but find it too wishy washy with weak predictable characters and storylines.
I nearly spit out my coffee, DS9 has the most complex of characters to grace Star Trek. You see real growth in all of the main cast over its seven seasons. Wishy Washy? The whole show is alive like no other Trek show, it has a lived in feel and has some of the best shades of grey villains in all of Trek.

Interesting how views differ. I must give it another go as previously I’ve only stuck with watching three before getting bored

I am preparing myself for Season 4 by re-visiting series 3, I have been doing a lot of fast-forwarding through the smug-parts, and I must say I have never seen a crew expressing Star-Fleet ideals to the point of making one feel you want to throw up! You can tell the writers are desperate to field the next Star-Trek Captain with Gender-Neutralism, The person will come from a Belgium Gender Neutral school and not from the Academy in San Francisco.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom