Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Premiere (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

While I will watch the entire season, season 3 isn't really doing it for me, half the people look like they can't be bothered to be there.

First season I enjoyed the most.

Diversity isn't a problem, it's to be welcomed and in fact it makes total sense. In the future, I'd expect human diversity in all kinds of ways including those we can't yet imagine.

It's the handling of diversity that I feel Discovery gets so wrong, certainly in comparison to previous series'. In earlier trek, diversity was just there to be taken as read. And when it came to still controversial issues such as homosexuality or trangenderism, it did so in clever and subtle sci-fi ways (Soran, and the Trill species respectively). It didn't need fanfare or pandering. The 'pronouns' conversation last week was unspeakably pathetic.

As long as they don't go full Dr Who with "fams" and long speeches about the environment then I'm happy.

Diversity isn't a problem, it's to be welcomed and in fact it makes total sense. In the future, I'd expect human diversity in all kinds of ways including those we can't yet imagine.

It's the handling of diversity that I feel Discovery gets so wrong, certainly in comparison to previous series'. In earlier trek, diversity was just there to be taken as read. And when it came to still controversial issues such as homosexuality or trangenderism, it did so in clever and subtle sci-fi ways (Soran, and the Trill species respectively). It didn't need fanfare or pandering. The 'pronouns' conversation last week was unspeakably pathetic.
Yes, I agree. This is supposed to be set in enlightened times and yet we had to have that conversation like it was a revellation and a near game of: Look, aren't I clever in not using pronouns in all these ways?
In fact, the Doc looked like he was in awe at Stamets being soo with it about it all.

Whoa! I didn't say or imply that so please don't put words in my mouth.
Well you kind of did, but cool beans. I pressed like.

Episode 9 -

I rather enjoyed that.

Its got Q written all over it.
Yes episode 9 a good one. A few good episodes season1, not keen on season 2 but liked 2 episodes so far from season 3. I hope episode 10 can continue the momentum

Come on now, no needs for handbags over a tv show.

it's mildly entertaining despite all the pandering to the them's/they's/gays and whatever else passes for folk these days.

Can't say I thought much of the last episode. OK they're trying to point out the Federation 'life' has changed the once evil empress, but it's all a bit...'meh'

Mod comment - any further bickering will incur warnings and points.
Civil
Discussions about content are fine - including how diversity is presented in the show. General arguments/abuse about the subject should be aired elsewhere.

Thanks

A Roman musical of sorts? They truly were evil.
I'm supposing the Emperor realises there's no fixing those cruel ways and it turns into some woke enlightenment deal that fixes her (them!) at least.

I thought I would wait for the last episodes of Star Trek Discovery to be aired before I wrote my final appraisal of season 3 and generally I was disappointed after what looked to be a promising start.
The CGI and sets are first class and a step up from last season, the story however explored far too many sub plots to keep those with a low attention span happy, sci-fi needs to be uncomplicated and keep a few surprises up its sleeve to maintain interest, for me the latter part of season 3 had an air of bland predictability about it and I lost my sense of involvement with what was going on.
Last season we had the young Spock and a charismatic Anson Mount on the bridge, both actors successfully followed Jason Isaacs in his dark alpha male role in season 1, this year Doug Jones (Saru) looked like a CEO of an office building than a ships Captain, but Jones interpretation of the role also fitted with the low key acting from the rest of the cast as well, who gave every impression of having a script reading session on occasion, I would think that actors with some pedigree making sci-fi would do a much better job.
Sonequa Martin-Green worked hard in her role but the writers did her no favours with a silly alternative universe which was hammed up by the whole cast, it was a disappointing send off for Michelle Yeoh who probably had enough with her role which deserved more.
I believe I have said as much as I dare apart from saying that the shows writers lost connection with what Star Trek is all about this season, Star Trek has franchise characters which need actors who understand these parts, this is what made previous seasons successful, sometimes you just need to stay with a successful formula and forget contemporary mores that probably have no place in the future anyway and just concentrate on the fun.

Last edited:
I thought I would wait for the last episodes of Star Trek Discovery to be aired before I wrote my final appraisal of season 3 and generally I was disappointed after what looked to be a promising start.
The CGI and sets are first class and a step up from last season, the story however explored far too many sub plots to keep those with a low attention span happy, sci-fi needs to be uncomplicated and keep a few surprises up its sleeve to maintain interested, for me the latter part of season 3 had an air of bland predictability about it and i lost my nse of excitement, in some ways it was like watching a space soap opera and acted like it was one too.
Last season we had the young Spock and a charismatic Anson Mount on the bridge, both actors successfully followed Jason Isaacs in his dark alpha male role in season 1, this year Doug Jones (Saru) looked like a CEO of an office building than a ships Captain, but Jones interpretation of the role also fitted with the low key acting from the rest of the cast as well, who gave every impression of having a script reading session on occasion, I would think that actors with some pedigree making sci-fi would do a much better job.
Sonequa Martin-Green worked hard in her role but the writers did her no favours with a silly alternative universe which was hammed up by the whole cast, it was a disappointing send off for Michelle Yeoh who probably had enough with her low key role which deserved more.
I believe I have said as much as I dare apart from saying that the shows writers lost connection with what Star Trek is all about this season, Star Trek has franchise characters which need actors who understand these parts, this is what made previous seasons successful in the past, sometimes you just need to stay with a successful formula and forget contemporary mores that probably have no

I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons, but gave up on this after part 1 of the alternate universe episode. I'm not going to labour the point, but I think it's probably the worst star trek ever.
Hope they change things around for Season 4 if there is one, but I'll wait a few episodes before I dive in. There are just so many better things to watch.

I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons, but gave up on this after part 1 of the alternate universe episode. I'm not going to labour the point, but I think it's probably the worst star trek ever.
Hope they change things around for Season 4 if there is one, but I'll wait a few episodes before I dive in. There are just so many better things to watch.
This show is getting at least two more season as far as I know so the US producers must have a deal in place which pleases CBS and their streaming service.
As far as it being the worst Star Trek series, I think you have to allow for some upgrades including technology but with franchise shows you need good story continuity which season 3 lacked.

Just watched the last few episodes of season 3 having stopped watching for a while. I hoped and hoped. I cannot believe how bad it has got, like a poor star wars. I think it has been made for kids really and certainly not for followers of previous star treks and the thoughtful ethos that went into the programmes. The new quote 'Let's Fly' , ideally our of here. What a cheek to end with the original Star Trek theme. Never mind there is always John Wick 4

First two seasons were great, and I don't really like star trek.
This third season was awful.

Just finished this, overall I'd give it a "meh" +

Burnham is a terrible character to centre the show around and she's not portrayed well.
The other bridge Crew are entirely disposable.

Why, when you're facing a massive force, terrible odds, people dying every second you continue on or make things even more unnecessarily perilous, do you have a 3-minute heart to heart with someone and a good cry while more people are killed pointlessly, just so you can say goodbye to someone or tell them that you love them. That really annoyed me.

Last edited:
T'was pretty repugnant by the end.

S4 best be a belter (lol?)

Irei
Just finished this, overall I'd give it a "meh" +

Burnham is a terrible character to centre the show around and she's not portrayed well.

Why, when you're facing a massive force, terrible odds, people dying every second you continue on or make things even more unnecessarily perilous, do you have a 3-minute heart to heart with someone and a good cry while more people are killed pointlessly, just so you can say goodbye to someone or tell them that you love them. That really annoyed me.
I reall hated "I've just met Micheal, I love her, she is the most amazing Starfleet officer ever, we will follow her unquestionably"

At least in latest season she's more likable...however the change is so drastic it's another person altogether. But she has forgot her vulcan teachings. Must say she looks damn good with the longer hair, in first season that stupid hairdo.

Having finally finished watching this series on Netflix I was left with the impression that original ideas are not a strong point with the studio writers committee when developing Discovery's Season-3 scripts.
After a promising first episode, which seemed at the time to be a fresh start, the old hackneyed familiar themes kept pushing their way back in as if there was a list of studio requirements to get out the way, nothing that developed thereafter created much of a surprise, except the sometimes surprisingly poor acting which was only held together by the still impressive CGI and expansive sets.
In my opinion the acting became the weak point of season-3, the show really needed some star status back, returning the charisma, which was present when Jason Isaacs and Anson Mount was at the helm, even Ethan Peck as Spock managed to create some convincing emotion with Sonequa Martin-Green who seemed to struggle with her extended acting role this season, especially when playing her other self in the alternative universe, an episode which takes me back to 'Fringe', which had a multiverse story arc done a lot better, even though Fringe was past its use by date by then.
New star David Ajala became a guest star after a promising introduction in episode one, it's as if someone said, 'Hey, he's not too bad let's add him into the regular cast.' then changed their mind half way through when they realized he was a better actor than most of the main cast.
The same could be said for the best of Discovery's other cast members as well, in season 3 Discovery's main crew members were sidelined into peripheral subplots, then edited into the story every now and then to show that they are actually still part of something, but mostly these actors were unavoidably typecast playing caricatured contemporary role models, like Anthony Rapp, I'm sure his acting abilities would be a lot more interesting if he was given a more diverse character profile to explore, and Doug Jones who we see for the first time without the extensive prosthetic make up as Saru, he is ideal for any future Star Trek franchise, a classic sci-fi character actor but after this show other roles for him may be limited.
I'm not sure where season 4 will take fans, but if it pleases American audiences that's all that matters for the studios, if season 3 is any example I would not expect too much of a change of creative direction.
I give Discovery season three 6 out of 10. Mostly for some of the CGI used.

100% agree. I reckon I would have a wee bit more of a sense of urgency in those situations.

I also got frustrated by Burnham whispering all the time. Does anyone know anybody in RL who whispers half their conversations? I just kept wanting to shout at her to speak up.

The cast overall were bland and uninspiring; the only saving graces were David Ajala and Oded Fehr, who brought a bit of class and charisma.

I was watching Sonequa Martin-Green on the Walking Dead the other night and her acting is massively better in this show or the character is much better. Looks essentially the script and direction to makes her seem so bad in this show. I wonder how she feels about it

This is how disposable they are.

Spoilers ahoy...

This is Lt. Cmdr Airiam in S01

Airiam%2C_2256.jpg

This is her in S02, a different actress.

Airiam_2257.jpg

In S02 they kill her off, giving her, for the first time, a decent storyline and some screen time and her position is replaced on the bridge by Lt Nillson

Nilsson.jpg

Who is actually the actress that played Airiam in S01.

I still don't actually know why she had to die in the show as there were so many ways they could have saved her. Still it gave Burnham an opportunity to have a good cry and show her emotional range beyond stoic, those seem to be the entire range of Burnhams emotion and why is there so much crying in Star Trek?

This is how disposable they are.

Spoilers ahoy...

This is Lt. Cmdr Airiam in S01

View attachment 1450742

This is her in S02, a different actress.

View attachment 1450743

In S02 they kill her off, giving her, for the first time, a decent storyline and some screen time and her position is replaced on the bridge by Lt Nillson

View attachment 1450744

Who is actually the actress that played Airiam in S01.

I still don't actually know why she had to die in the show as there were so many ways they could have saved her. Still it gave Burnham an opportunity to have a good cry and show her emotional range beyond stoic, those seem to be the entire range of Burnhams emotion and why is there so much crying in Star Trek?
She also goes completely missing in the 3rd series finale for some reason, replaced with a mysterious brunette officer, only to reappear in the final bridge scene.

Just started watching Enterprise for the second time after many years. It had mixed reception originally and was seen as a poor relation to earlier Star Treks but I remember that I liked it originally and felt the critics gave it a bit of an unfair dressing down although I accepted it was not the same as the previous stuff. Now revisiting and watching it on my very small 50 inch plasma with surround sound (but not dolby digital with this one) having just watched the first double episode I feel that it was much better than I originally thought. I think it was ahead of it's time for Star Trek with a more modern approach and good effects and technology that are not over the top. The characters as well are excellent including the Captain who is I think deliberately a bit wooden because that is his nature expressing himself . I guess my point is that for all the special effects of Star Trek Discovery it is not a patch on Enterprise in my mind. I am going to watch them all again and I am looking forward to the big fights in space later in the series.

And somewhere in the midst of all this is the punter wanting to see a good star trek show. Something wrong somewhere

I thik the most wrong thing about this season was that they appeared to be trying to retool it into a version of TNG... UGH!! :zonked:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom