Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Premiere (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

I bet if anyone (could be bothered to) counted up Burnham's breathy/whispered vs her actually speaking lines normally, it'd be at least 80% the former.
SMG is simply limited in acting skills and when or how to emote. She continually confuses levels of depth, secrecy or just having a private chat with just how breathy or whispery she needs maintain. There are ever increasing shots of the other actors looking at her like, why are you whispering or being all breathy, we get the lines, when we are away from others or, it really isn't that crucial a line, love?
Ironically, Sonja Sohn, as Burnham's mother, is a typically quiet spoken actress; who is another one prone to breathy acting but at least she knows when to just speak and when to lower things down further.
When SMG actually let loose a little and got a bit all girlfriend with Michelle Yeoh the other week, I was struck by how much more I began to engage with her but moments later and....
The opener to the series was indeed hopeful with David Ajala to bounce off (in her whole year searching...how long, woah!) but now he's been relegated to love interest, yikes.
And, sorry, but one teary self revelation this week doesn't excuse for the norm. The whole debate rapidly descended into family court and I was amazed the others were prepared to listen to that and not the facts.

Soooo bad it's painful. Sorry for polluting the review thread, but can't they just cut out the tears and advance the storyline without all the melodrama?
Agree 100%. After a slightly better episode 5 and almost redeeming themselves with a reasonable episode 6, episode 7 was again utter unmitigated 💩...worse even than episode 4!!

Yet again I spent much of the latter half of the episode swearing loudly at the TV and imploring them to "get on with it, something, anything". I honestly don't think I can take much more of this drivel! Annoyingly, judging by the "on the next episode" trailer it looks like episode 8 might be pretty good. Not sure I can bring myself to give it a go though.

The opener to the series was indeed hopeful with David Ajala to bounce off (in her whole year searching...how long, woah!) but now he's been relegated to love interest, yikes.
Quite, although being a bit flat after the climax of season 2 I thought episode 1 was a very promising start to what was looking to be a belter of a season. How wrong I was.

Book in particular was a breath of fresh air and just what was needed as a foil to Burnham. It's criminal the way in which the character has so far been wasted. Yet that is the least of the problems this season has.

I always knew they were going to compartmentalise it, from the moment the creators said "It's Canon."
After the unmitigated disaster that season 3 has been, not to mention the utter clusterfrak that was Picard, I'm now really worried about the upcoming Capt. Pike series.

Can't see that being much better now with this shower in charge of production.

Quite, although being a bit flat after the climax of season 2 I thought episode 1 was a very promising start to what was looking to be a belter of a season. How wrong I was.

Book in particular was a breath of fresh air and just what was needed as a foil to Burnham. It's criminal the way in which the character has so far been wasted. Yet that is the least of the problems this season has.
Yeah, I thought it was more than a bit rich to suggest he was a bad influence, too.
If they could hold off on Burnham validating everything, being the answer and/or thanked constantly even when wrong and excused so much it'd help.
Her 'demotion' though, is clearly the opening for her to do whatever she wants even more, leading to thanks, apologies for her and validations by her.

I do expect Pike's show to be better, as he has been written far less self-aggrandising and far more meat and potatoes. Plus, Anson Mount is a very decent actor.

I wonder how they can carry on for 3 years with clear criticism of their approach and not change. The series is like Pride and Prejudice in space with characters like Book and Ash turning into mash potato and just bouncing off the emotional revelations of Burnham. Audience Season 1 ratings 50% and Season 2 ratings 36% on rotten tomatoes, is there a clue here ? Or perhaps the show has a majority government that carries on with the same theme no matter what ??

I wonder how they can carry on for 3 years with clear criticism of their approach and not change. The series is like Pride and Prejudice in space with characters like Book and Ash turning into mash potato and just bouncing off the emotional revelations of Burnham. Audience Season 1 ratings 50% and Season 2 ratings 36% on rotten tomatoes, is there a clue here ? Or perhaps the show has a majority government that carries on with the same theme no matter what ??

Their priority has always been to widen the audience to drive subscriptions for the CBS All Access streaming platform. Discovery has actually rebooted 3 times so far already, how much this is down to chasing ratings versus listening to the criticisms from its built-in audience, is debatable.

Firstly, it was retooled before it even aired, when Bryan Fuller the original creator was fired.
Secondly, it was retooled for Season 2, with the introduction of the original Enterprise crew and TOS character Spock.
Thirdly, it was retooled for Season 3 by transporting the series 1,000 years into the future.

Other than that alleged factors such as ‘Secret Hideout’ and Alex Kurtzman having an iron-clad 5-year deal that would cost a fortune to tear up, a narrative of themes and characters that serve the current ‘Hollywood agenda’, a Parent company (Viacom) that’s been in constant drama, with Boardroom and takeover battles, and a level of expenditure and commitment to Discovery being the flagship franchise, that they are too far in now, to stop and regroup.

Their priority has always been to widen the audience to drive subscriptions for the CBS All Access streaming platform. Discovery has actually rebooted 3 times so far already, how much this is down to chasing ratings versus listening to the criticisms from its built-in audience, is debatable.

Firstly, it was retooled before it even aired, when Bryan Fuller the original creator was fired.
Secondly, it was retooled for Season 2, with the introduction of the original Enterprise crew and TOS character Spock.
Thirdly, it was retooled for Season 3 by transporting the series 1,000 years into the future.

Other than that alleged factors such as ‘Secret Hideout’ and Alex Kurtzman having an iron-clad 5-year deal that would cost a fortune to tear up, a narrative of themes and characters that serve the current ‘Hollywood agenda’, a Parent company (Viacom) that’s been in constant drama, with Boardroom and takeover battles, and a level of expenditure and commitment to Discovery being the flagship franchise, that they are too far in now, to stop and regroup.
And somewhere in the midst of all this is the punter wanting to see a good star trek show. Something wrong somewhere

Sadly, that is sounding more interesting than the show at present,
Season three looks like it's heading to another big bang ending to avoid the burn and start back to just after where they were, or else it risks screwing with other projects too. timelines and stories.

I'm still thoroughly enjoying it. Especially loving the jump into the future.

I've actually been enjoying it too... up until this episode.

This was just a particularly bad bottle ship episode. They really needed a couple of other stories going on - the Tilly one certainly did not cut it - to temper against the godawful dullness of the quorum thing. Also - by the end of the episode, it felt we'd gotten no further than what was more or less established in the first 10 mins - i.e. Burn had an origin point and Tilly as No 1.

And while Burnham doesn't bother me quite as much as she does other posters - I began to see their point in this episode for sure.

I've actually been enjoying it too... up until this episode.

This was just a particularly bad bottle ship episode. They really needed a couple of other stories going on - the Tilly one certainly did not cut it - to temper against the godawful dullness of the quorum thing. Also - by the end of the episode, it felt we'd gotten no further than what was more or less established in the first 10 mins - i.e. Burn had an origin point and Tilly as No 1.

And while Burnham doesn't bother me quite as much as she does other posters - I began to see their point in this episode for sure.
I just want to say somewhat emotionally that I burst into tears when Burnham's mother appeared. I thought she was lost ! I cannot express the wave of emotion that overwhelmed me. My phone kept dinging with messages from all my friends with the joy of this revelation and we decided to have a cyber party together that went on until the early hours drinking and dancing. I am not sure but I think I may have spotted some fireworks over Cardiff Castle as well ! What and episode. Tearfully yours Nickj1000 :cool:

I just want to say somewhat emotionally that I burst into tears when Burnham's mother appeared. I thought she was lost ! I cannot express the wave of emotion that overwhelmed me. My phone kept dinging with messages from all my friends with the joy of this revelation and we decided to have a cyber party together that went on until the early hours drinking and dancing. I am not sure but I think I may have spotted some fireworks over Cardiff Castle as well ! What and episode. Tearfully yours Nickj1000 :cool:
Earl Grey, hot.

Mike's new hair makes her well tasty... My Mrs had the hots for Brook so we're even! Enjoying this despite it ticking every single box in history and me not having a clue about anything going on! I mean, Michelle Yeoh, is she good or bad?

Mike's new hair makes her well tasty... My Mrs had the hots for Brook so we're even! Enjoying this despite it ticking every single box in history and me not having a clue about anything going on! I mean, Michelle Yeoh, is she good or bad?

I want to know whats happening with Georgiou as she keeps on
bugging out since her interrogation debrief.

For the record I loved Ep7, but appreciate its not for everyone.

I want to know whats happening with Georgiou as she keeps on
bugging out since her interrogation debrief.

For the record I loved Ep7, but appreciate its not for everyone.

Was the pilot with the metal around one eye hearing things ever explained, or was that supposed to be part of PTSD, that was all solved over the Captain's dinner?

Was the pilot with the metal around one eye hearing things ever explained, or was that supposed to be part of PTSD, that was all solved over the Captain's dinner?
No I don't know what she's called either and I've watched it from the start!

It's an ongoing question of whether her cybernetics got damaged or hacked by the baddies last time. I'm hoping for an hack that will actually kick something off..

Disappointing episode, that managed to make a space battle dull and confusing (again) as to whether Keyla was even firing for a good while there. Heck, even the cat was bored and stuck around.
It reminded me of the Dreadnought 'fight' with Poe in Star Wars, in that everyone stood around pretty much and explained things. If Osyraa wasn't bothered by Enterprise or Starfleet, she clearly should've attacked them or, took her leave and not sat there like a stuck pig taking damage.
Let's see if SMG manages to not screw up next week, with Michelle's centred tale next week.

Is anyone actually asking for more episodes where one of the cast breaks out in tears at some point? Bursting out in tears clearly pays dividens though when it comes to attaining promotion in the Federation. Tilly gets made first officer, how and why? Saru is obviously working for the chain and is usurping the federation from the inside out. You know this because he's the only one who hasn't shed any tears yet, but I guess there's still time left for him to repent and have a jolly good cry?

Is anyone actually asking for more episodes where one of the cast breaks out in tears at some point? Bursting out in tears clearly pays dividens though when it comes to attaining promotion in the Federation. Tilly gets made first officer, how and why? Saru is obviously working for the chain and is usurping the federation from the inside out. You know this because he's the only one who hasn't shed any tears yet, but I guess there's still time left for him to repent and have a jolly good cry?
Saru the Yes man ?? Or will he take over while flying under the radar, after all he seems to agree with everybody at the same time, not sure how ?? :cool:

Saru the Yes man ?? Or will he take over while flying under the radar, after all he seems to agree with everybody at the same time, not sure how ?? :cool:

You watch, he'll break down into tears (eventually).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom