Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Review & Comments

Still working my way through the episodes.

Wish I was! Going to be a LONG wait for Season 3! The first Star Trek Series since TNG that was worth investing time in.

I like Pike - but he get's led by the nose by Michael in pretty much every episode.
True, likely because they realised this new character has multiples more charisma and audience engagement than Burnham and they needed to reaffirm the focus onto her. The worst thing about this show by an absolute mile is centering it around Burnham.

I disagree - I think Burnham is the most interesting character and by a country mile the best actor. I think the weakness, is that in trying to strike a balance between her and Pike in the narrative, Pike has had to allow her a degree of latitude that is somewhat unbelievable. In a real military chain of command she would have been court martialled for insubordination at least half a dozen times.

I thought the biggest surprise to me was Spock. I was prepared to hate this hipster incarnation and felt his presence was unnecessary. But they've really embraced his half human side and made emotion part of his character in a nuanced way. Very well handled I thought.

I stopped watching 3 or 4 episodes in as it's simply not star trek. That said, I've stopped caring, star wars is almost as broken. I've been tempted to pick it back up, it is worthwhile then?

I stopped watching 3 or 4 episodes in as it's simply not star trek. That said, I've stopped caring, star wars is almost as broken. I've been tempted to pick it back up, it is worthwhile then?
Agreed it is not. But I like it a lot anyway. I haven't seen it yet but The Orville is widely said to be Star Trek.

I thought the Orville was a parody of ST? Hence I've never bothered.

I disagree - I think Burnham is the most interesting character and by a country mile the best actor. I think the weakness, is that in trying to strike a balance between her and Pike in the narrative, Pike has had to allow her a degree of latitude that is somewhat unbelievable. In a real military chain of command she would have been court martialled for insubordination at least half a dozen times.
Definitely a good actor but I'm not sure she is the best. Anyway this is essentially her show just like original Trek was Shatners' so of course they will focus on her.

Although it is a parody, everything I have heard suggests it has the heart of the classic and/or TNG series. I've even seen Trek actors suggesting the same thing so if you are a die hard Trekkie then give it a go. I will probably get around to watching it eventually.

Although it is a parody, everything I have heard suggests it has the heart of the classic and/or TNG series. I've even seen Trek actors suggesting the same thing so if you are a die hard Trekkie then give it a go. I will probably get around to watching it eventually.

I absolutely love the Orville & I am a trekkie from way back. The first couple of episodes are hilarious but definitely play the comedy card strongly while you get to know the cast. Later episodes have some (IMHO) really good plots, & the Comedy drops back to great one-liners & situational moments. All in all fabulous.

I absolutely love the Orville & I am a trekkie from way back. The first couple of episodes are hilarious but definitely play the comedy card strongly while you get to know the cast. Later episodes have some (IMHO) really good plots, & the Comedy drops back to great one-liners & situational moments. All in all fabulous.
That sounds like the OG Trek than Next Gen.

That sounds like the OG Trek than Next Gen.
To me, the Comedy in the first episodes was way above the Slapstick of OG Trek (Very Family Guy; no real surprise there!), but the later plots are at least as good as the good TNG ones, and occasionally very dark. So I really enjoy that balance.

Episode 10 - I knew it! :)
From when they mentioned Michael's DNA I knew it would be a relative and not her.

Be careful what you wish for..... ;)
Yeah it turns out that I didn't quite know it lol.

Overall all it was enjoyable but there were a couple of man sized discrepancies that detracted a little from my enjoyment.

Especially:
Klingon chancellor on the ship with her "dead" husband. Wouldn't the other Klingons wonder how he got his head back? "

Yeah it turns out that I didn't quite know it lol.

Overall all it was enjoyable but there were a couple of man sized discrepancies that detracted a little from my enjoyment.

Especially:
Klingon chancellor on the ship with her "dead" husband. Wouldn't the other Klingons wonder how he got his head back? "

Yeah, that was a biggie all right and not explained, either.

It's more of a 'made in the spirit' of TNG with some slapstick humour thrown in. The comparison is made more because its more like star trek as people knew it than the new star trek, but I wouldn't call it star trek exactly.

Star trek benefits from a darker grittier style, but it still annoys me that they've just used the name to make something that isn't really trek

Only 2 of the 4 Short Treks are on the blu ray.

DSC01.jpg

DSC02.jpg

I remember some being up in arms when the press release said it was only going to include two of the Short Treks, just you wait they will release a 'Short Treks' Blu-ray set once the finale one airs in December.

I briefly thought about buying Season 2 but then realised I still haven't watched my Season 1 Blu-ray so no point in buying it now for it too just sit on the shelf for 12 months, will pick it up once it hits £15

Just finished Season 2 - I thoroughly enjoyed it :thumbsup: A good story arc, visually impressive and all done with due reverence to earlier series. Pike was excellent.

Only slightly criticism are the pacing, the loooonnnnggg weepy scenes (especially when they rarely follow through and actually kill the character) and the Burnham centric focus. Also a bit disappointed Lorca hasn't made it back.

Not sure where Season 3 is going to fit in though after that ending? :confused:

Just finished Season 2 - I thoroughly enjoyed it :thumbsup: A good story arc, visually impressive and all done with due reverence to earlier series. Pike was excellent.

Only slightly criticism are the pacing, the loooonnnnggg weepy scenes (especially when they rarely follow through and actually kill the character) and the Burnham centric focus. Also a bit disappointed Lorca hasn't made it back.

Not sure where Season 3 is going to fit in though after that ending? :confused:

Season 3 takes place some 900 years in the future in the 32nd century.

I've often wondered at the frequent complaints about a "Burnham centric focus".

She is the star of the show, after all. A bit like complaining about a "Kirk centric focus in 'Star Trek'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom