Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Review & Comments

...I also not that bothered what universe it's ment to be set
It's only an "issue" in so far as CBS have been insisting since Discovery was first announced that it (and any future TV shows) would continue to be set in the Prime universe, whereas the films (if indeed any more see the light of day after the abhorrent "Beyond" effectively killed the franchise) would be set in the Kelvin universe. They wanted a clear separation between the TV and film franchises.

But Discovery very obviously doesn't fit in the Prime universe (or fully in the Kelvin universe for that matter it could be argued). CBS have hugely muddied the waters and I can understand why so many fans are up in arms about Discovery.

Still, they've ridden rough shod over continuity so many times in the past it's just not worth getting in a tizzy about. Just watch and enjoy I say.

It's only an "issue" in so far as CBS have been insisting since Discovery was first announced that it (and any future TV shows) would continue to be set in the Prime universe, whereas the films (if indeed any more see the light of day after the abhorrent "Beyond" effectively killed the franchise) would be set in the Kelvin universe. They wanted a clear separation between the TV and film franchises.

But Discovery very obviously doesn't fit in the Prime universe (or fully in the Kelvin universe for that matter it could be argued). CBS have hugely muddied the waters and I can understand why so many fans are up in arms about Discovery.

Still, they've ridden rough shod over continuity so many times in the past it's just not worth getting in a tizzy about. Just watch and enjoy I say.
I agree. What CBS call the prime universe is actually the Kelvin time line and all other star trek from original up to enterprise is Canon.

John eaves who designed the enterprise in discovery let slip in an interview the enterprise is legally has to be 25% different and is 300% bigger.

The one thing that will clear the hole mess up is CBS and Paramount merging and the rights under one company.

Rumours already about theve cancelled discovery but aren't going to announce anything until the season has aired. After costing $150 for season 2 (which is insane for a tv show) I'm not surprised. This is all rumours of course

WARNING: YOUR HEAD WILL HURT.

This video is mind boggling, but if your brain isn't fried by the labyrinthine complexity of it all, it goes some way to explaining why all recent incarnations of 'Star Trek' from 2009 onwards are legally obligated to be so different from all that came before.

It also explains that while 'Discovery' might be based in the Prime timeline, it isn't strictly "canon"... but then it could possibly become "canon" somewhere down the line. Or somethin'...

Also, it pretty much guarantees that TNG fans expecting more of the same (more of the same TNG) from the new Picard series , are probably going to be equally as disappointed as some of the more navel gazing Trekkies/Trekkers/Trekkists/Trekoids have been with 'Discovery'.

At the end of the day, it's only a ****ing TV show (pauses for sound of fanboy heads exploding) and people just need to relax and watch it for what it is, on its own terms; or just don't bother and watch 'The Orville' for something less taxing and your weekly bland, touchy-feely, all-in-the-family fix.

Anyway, wrap your heads around this...

WARNING: YOUR HEAD WILL HURT.
You weren't kidding there...I think my intelligence circuits have melted! :zonked:

So, what it basically boils down to is that all new Trek produced since Enterprise ended is a reboot and what went before is completely irrelevant. Now it all makes sense.

Kind of what I've always said the BBC should've done when they brought back Dr Who in '05; rebooted it rather than revived it <ducks and runs for cover>.

Last edited:
The trouble I have with Burnham is that she's always trying too hard to sound so bloody deep, meaningful and compassionate.

You weren't kidding there...I think my intelligence circuits have melted! :zonked:

So, what it basically boils down to is that all new Trek produced since Enterprise ended is a reboot and what went before is completely irrelevant. Now it all makes sense.

Kind of what I've always said the BBC should've done when they brought back Dr Who in '05; rebooted it rather than revived it <ducks and runs for cover>.
If it's essentially a reboot then it makes things much more palatable. Certain it helps in so much as you can basically forget about continuity. Things is, if its a reboot, then they're basically starting again, so lets see if this reboot successfully manages to spawn 10 movies, 5 series and endure 40 or 50 years. In its current format, I suspect not. I suspect I'll probably not make it to the end of season 2, but that said if I get in the mindset that its a reboot, maybe I'll be less critical.

Basically yeah. It's going to be a multiverse of sorts, they will all merg in together with canon once CBS and Paramount get bk together. Only reason for going it this way is to sell more merchandise

...Certain it helps in so much as you can basically forget about continuity.
Yes. As I've said before I'd chosen to ignore the continuity "problems" in Discovery and just enjoy it for what it is, but it's good to know the reason for them nevertheless.

It also opens up a lot of possibilities for the future.

I suspect I'll probably not make it to the end of season 2, but that said if I get in the mindset that its a reboot, maybe I'll be less critical.
I have to say I'm not enjoying season 2 quite as much as I did season 1. Though I do still think it's by far the best Trek we've had since TOS.

This is by far the worst Trek series to date. Putting canon and everything aside, the show simply doesn’t engage. The acting and script is terrible, characters instantly forgettable and the stories are simply said, boring. It’s all fake and over cooked, as is the production. Season two is most definitely worse than the first, which I was just about ok with. My guess is this will be cancelled shortly. Can’t think of any other reason why it’s so bad, it’s like the producers really don’t give a crap. I’m glad some of you are finding something to like in there. I can’t and I’m gutted. Yet another missed opportunity. Why do creators find it so hard to realise what fans want to see (post Voyager), I can only guess that they don’t care.

Why do creators find it so hard to realise what fans want to see (post Voyager), I can only guess that they don’t care.
Even more baffling when theres even a fair bit of actual fan produced material showing exactly the kind of stuff the fans want to see!

Episodes 3 and 4 have long, stiflingly OTT scenes with aims at emotion where you knew where things were gong but then just went on like an hormonal drunk. Namely the whole mother thing and how species will fear Klingon's with one ruling when they hear her title. Hey? And Burnham and Saru. Jeez that dragged on. I actually found myself going Millennial and checking my phone and composing a text. The writing is reminding me of theatre plays and later awards ceremony's where they all cry and say what a community/family this is, where we all feel safe and accepted. Yes, OK. Now jog on with the story.

This is by far the worst Trek series to date... ...the show simply doesn’t engage. The acting and script is terrible, characters instantly forgettable and the stories are simply said, boring.
Well, clearly I disagree.

Your description above is pretty much exactly how I'd describe TNG and DS9. They weren't real Trek as far as I'm concerned, they completely failed to capture the essence of what made TOS such a good watch and were, for the most part, as exciting as watching paint dry. No spark at all.

I loved Season 1 of Discovery, it was fresh and exciting - they actually went ahead and did things, rather than sitting around on their arses discussing what might be the best thing to do. "Captain" Picard? More like the head of a flaming committee!

And Data was simply an insult to our intelligence. Do they seriously expect us to believe that an android that has gone through Starfleet training and managed to earn his place on the bridge of a starship would be that naive and lack a basic understanding of human nature and idioms? Seriously?

DS9, completely forgettable. Outside of Sisko and the characters they transferred over from TNG I can't recall a single character from that disaster. It's not for nothing that it is often referred to as "Deep Sleep 9".

As much as I liked Voyager it was still mired in that same drab, dreary universe that was created for TNG and suffered for it.

No, I welcome Discovery with open arms. It, along with the first two JJA films, is exactly the shot in the arm the franchise so desperately needed.

Episodes 3 and 4 have long, stiflingly OTT scenes with aims at emotion where you knew where things were gong but then just went on like an hormonal drunk. Namely the whole mother thing and how species will fear Klingon's with one ruling when they hear her title. Hey? And Burnham and Saru. Jeez that dragged on. I actually found myself going Millennial and checking my phone and composing a text. The writing is reminding me of theatre plays and later awards ceremony's where they all cry and say what a community/family this is, where we all feel safe and accepted. Yes, OK. Now jog on with the story.

Agree, pretty much sums up S2. I reached for my phone numerous times. All very staged and predictable right up to the point his flappy bits fell off :laugh:

This is by far the worst Trek series to date.

I completely disagree, for the reason I like and embrace all the differences that are new, but I get you don't because they are so different. So I've enjoyed it up to now and look forward to seeing more.

Agree, pretty much sums up S2. I reached for my phone numerous times. All very staged and predictable right up to the point his flappy bits fell off :laugh:
Do you know, the one good thing about him being ill this week, was that he didn't look like he was flossing instead of walking.

Well, clearly I disagree.

Your description above is pretty much exactly how I'd describe TNG and DS9. They weren't real Trek as far as I'm concerned, they completely failed to capture the essence of what made TOS such a good watch and were, for the most part, as exciting as watching paint dry. No spark at all.

I loved Season 1 of Discovery, it was fresh and exciting - they actually went ahead and did things, rather than sitting around on their arses discussing what might be the best thing to do. "Captain" Picard? More like the head of a flaming committee!

And Data was simply an insult to our intelligence. Do they seriously expect us to believe that an android that has gone through Starfleet training and managed to earn his place on the bridge of a starship would be that naive and lack a basic understanding of human nature and idioms? Seriously?

DS9, completely forgettable. Outside of Sisko and the characters they transferred over from TNG I can't recall a single character from that disaster. It's not for nothing that it is often referred to as "Deep Sleep 9".

As much as I liked Voyager it was still mired in that same drab, dreary universe that was created for TNG and suffered for it.

No, I welcome Discovery with open arms. It, along with the first two JJA films, is exactly the shot in the arm the franchise so desperately needed.

I certainly think you’re in a minority with that view. I’m glad you’re enjoying Discovery for what it is. Most trek fans regard TNG as the Mecca of the series, followed by TOS. Some the other way around. I certainly think TNG had far more in common with it than Discovery, which is absolutely all over the place in every respect. But like anything, it’s subjective and people have their own ideas.

I certainly think you’re in a minority with that view.
I'm sure I am, but that's my opinion.

I honestly don't get what people see in TNG or DS9, they're just so dreary and boring - "by the numbers" US network TV sci-fi. I got hold of "Encounter at Farpoint" when it was first released on VHS some months (18?) before it appeared on UK TV...I hated it so much I didn't bother getting any other episodes.

I certainly think TNG had far more in common with it than Discovery, which is absolutely all over the place in every respect.
If you're talking about continuity, well it's a reboot. They can do pretty much what they want.

Gene Roddenberry described TOS as "Wagon Train to the stars", TNG was entirely lacking of that feel - it felt more like "L.A. Law in space". Discovery has that raw, exciting edge to it that has been missing from Trek for decades.

My only real gripe about season 1 is
just how quickly and easily they brought the Klingon war to an end
. All felt a bit too easy.

I'm sure I am, but that's my opinion.

I honestly don't get what people see in TNG or DS9, they're just so dreary and boring - "by the numbers" US network TV sci-fi. I got hold of "Encounter at Farpoint" when it was first released on VHS some months (18?) before it appeared on UK TV...I hated it so much I didn't bother getting any other episodes.
I re watched all the series over the last couple of years apart from Discovery but re evaluated some of them DS9 from the worst went up but there a lot so so episodes and does not get going till the latter seasons on the other hand TNG I enjoyed when it came out I found across all the seasons there was less episodes that I found outstanding compared with all the others.
And Enterprise I hated when it came out now like the best.:eek:

Star Trek The Next Generation was superb and still has lots of re-watch potential.
I often stumble across episodes airing on Sky channels and you end up watching it.

I must admit to thoroughly enjoying season 1 of discovery ... once it got going.
But season 2 I am finding it to be a bit of a drag so far and really hope it will pick up.

And Enterprise I hated when it came out now like the best.:eek:

When it was first aired I did enjoy the later seasons and genuinely looked forward to it each week. I’ve since rewatched the whole thing (several times in fact) and like it, it’s also my second fav after TNG. I think the pressure to like a new show definitely has an effect on your judgement. Excluding this new monstrosity, I find all the Treks great for causual viewing that you can drop in and out of at any point, whether it’s catching it half way through an episode on Sky or picking one randomly on Netflix to blast an hour.

Even more baffling when theres even a fair bit of actual fan produced material showing exactly the kind of stuff the fans want to see!

Why do creators find it so hard to realise what fans want to see (post Voyager), I can only guess that they don’t care.

Please don't presume to know what all fans want.

I've been a 'Star Trek ' fan since the first episode aired on BBC1 in 1969 and I'm loving 'Discovery' The last thing this fan wants to see is another series like the dull-as-ditchwater 'Voyager'. The first Trek series I never bothered to buy on DVD when I moved up from VHS and the show that almost put me off 'Star Trek' for good.

And I certainly don't want to see any more of that fanboy produced, Trekkie wet-dream dross. :eek:

Last edited:
I also have to agree with the sentiment 'Please don't presume to know what all fans want.'

Fans of each series are clearly fragmented, with each having their likes and dislikes, who don't (and shouldn't) agree with one another as to which was the best or worst and never will.

But Discovery seems to be the ultimate 'Marmite series' where Star Trek is concerned, with people and fans either loving it or hating it, with a few dabbed in-between.

Millennial Trek fandom summed up:

Every show since Next Gen:

"its just a retread!"
upload_2019-2-13_22-56-30.png

Discovery comes out, tries to be distinct:

"this isn't proper star trek! I want it the way it used to be. They dont care about the fans! Bawl"
upload_2019-2-13_22-56-38.png

Same for Star Wars/ Bond/ etc etc

Star Trek The Next Generation was superb and still has lots of re-watch potential.
I often stumble across episodes airing on Sky channels and you end up watching it.

Agree. Been watching a lot of Next Gen again recently and despite some dud performances here and there its very well written and imaginitive, and Picard remains the best Captain (for me) by light years. It still amazes me how forward thinking it is and how futuristic a lot of it still looks (despite an almost 30 year vintage).

But I can't wait for the next Discovery episode either. It's just brimming with potential.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom