Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
great review cas watched this last night and thought it was brilliant,looked and sounded brilliant in dolby vision.

Couldn’t agree more. I had some serious issues with the first season, too long to list here, but they’ve stripped them all away and got the mix just right. Strong writing, direction, flow. Pike is brilliant and we’re only one episode in. They fixed it, thank God, and if anything I would be inclined to give it a nine.

Nailed the review there @Casimir Harlow :smashin:

I watched it this morning & thought it was superb.

Tremendous film like quality on every level & in 4K & Dolby vision looks stunning as you note.

A couple of hairs standing up on the back of your neck with the Enterprise too.

I would stretch to a 9 personally as the quality of this season opener was very high imo :cool:

Thanks for the Review Cas. Also haven't had time to watch Season one, but will now do so to catch up and get to what sounds like an excellent episode

I'll just paste what I said in the other thread:

Sorry to barge in as the voice of discontent. But I didn't like this episode at all. The smug whimsy was forced and painful. The whole thematic shift into jokey naff back and forth was so reactionary it was contrived and on the nose. Nowhere near the magic of DS9 or the comradery of Voyager. Just my honest take on it. I'm not trolling or discrediting others opinions at all.

As a first episode of a returning series I thought it was pretty weak.

Pike - I can get behind him. A little Picard and a little Kirk mixed into one.
The Enterprise - really?! just not required IMO
Spock - I hope they leave him out. This can survive on it's own merits.
Introduction of the original uniforms - Enterprise just back from 5 year mission with new uniforms?? seems a little odd.

As for the actual episode - it lacked any real meat. It was all about introducing Pike to the mix, and they pretty much added the rest as filler.

6/10

Funny that.

?

A poor episode is hardly a stellar introduction. A stellar introduction would have seen the Discovery sent to rescue the Enterprise after their ship wide failure somewhere out in the neutral zone/maybe just on the Klingon side, thus bringing season 1s finale into play (will the cease fire hold etc)

It's poor writing and a pretty sorry returning episode.

Another great review Cas. Agree completely, it was an excellent first episode.
Possibly even 9/10 for me.

Really liking Captain Pike and I may be one of the few that don't find Tilly annoying, I find her a character that has never been in a Star Trek series before, where everyone is normally perfect and often humourless.

As mentioned above the hairs standing up on the back of your neck when you see or hear mentioned the Enterprise!

Do we know if there is going to be that AfterTrek on Netflix this year? It wasn't the best show, but it did have next episode previews and cast interviews which made it a good watch.

If anyone thinks this 1st episode lacks meat, then watch the first episode of the new series of The Orville if you really want to see what lacking meat looks like.

Thanks Cas,

Watched this today and thought it was excellent. I also found the first season very good, a breath of fresh air and a decidedly more adult Star Trek.

Hi am I missing something with picture quality, I get HD Dolby vision and 5.1 on both Apple TV and LG OLED on second series, 1st one was always this, on what devices are you getting the second series in 4K Dolby vision?

Hi am I missing something with picture quality, I get HD Dolby vision and 5.1 on both Apple TV and LG OLED on second series, 1st one was always this, on what devices are you getting the second series in 4K Dolby vision?

Yup, HD Dolby Vision only (it's not available in 4K), but still better looking than the first.

As a first episode of a returning series I thought it was pretty weak.

Pike - I can get behind him. A little Picard and a little Kirk mixed into one.
The Enterprise - really?! just not required IMO
Spock - I hope they leave him out. This can survive on it's own merits.
Introduction of the original uniforms - Enterprise just back from 5 year mission with new uniforms?? seems a little odd.

As for the actual episode - it lacked any real meat. It was all about introducing Pike to the mix, and they pretty much added the rest as filler.

6/10

100% agree with this.
It's the first episode so can't judge an entire series on this. But I really do think the Enterprise was not needed what so ever.

After the 1st series it simply wasn't needed. They hit it out of the park and built a decent crew.

I liked Pike, but he could of been anyone. It seems like they dont want to have to develop another Captains persona.

I thought it was a solid start to season 2. I'm liking the way Anson Mount is portraying Christopher Pike with a touch of Kirk about him.

I'll just paste what I said in the other thread:

Sorry to barge in as the voice of discontent. But I didn't like this episode at all. The smug whimsy was forced and painful. The whole thematic shift into jokey naff back and forth was so reactionary it was contrived and on the nose. Nowhere near the magic of DS9 or the comradery of Voyager. Just my honest take on it. I'm not trolling or discrediting others opinions at all.

Star Trek is always going to polarise opinion as we’ve all invested significant time in previous characters and spinoffs, but to me this is the first TV version that goes head to head with the movies, and even perhaps exceeds them now in terms of production values given the budgets available to Netflix. To me Discovery blows away DS9 and Voyager in every way.

Yup, HD Dolby Vision only (it's not available in 4K), but still better looking than the first.

I missed that completely yes Dolby vision only. Wow very impressive for HD then as when I watched it I never doubted it wasn’t 4K.

Other than the first Star Trek reboot film, everything that's followed the original stuff I've just hated. I've not watched this yet but no doubt will, and the misses enjoyed the first season, but I'm really cynical about this being enjoyable for me. Michael's persitant sad face, the poor science, the way it entiredly (that was intentional) ignores continuity, the forced gay relationship thing that I thought was done well right before they 'explained it for stupid people', it all just stops me enjoying it to the point every episode has me rolling my eyes at least once. We have star wars for all the zoom zoom pew pew, Star trek for me was always about the science, exploration, character development, and space battles that should be more like tactical submarine or battleship fights than high speed dog fights. Hopefully they step the game up with this season, or I learn to enjoy it, because I will have to watch it with the other half.

I agree digital we need more of the original stuff - high quality CG Tribbles :D

I'm not sure I could ever get along with tribbles :laugh: . I grew up with TNG though, and the way they had to try work in suspense a little more just worked better for me. The first time the borg was introduced was exciting, but so far discovery has been one big yawn for me. I was a big fan of StarGate SG1, and part of the reason was because they put some effort into the science of it all, incorporating what we know with some poetic licence. Making star trek for the new star wars fan base just ruins it for me. I don't think Disney are doing a great job with star wars, but I'm happy to go along with it because they are at least trying to stick to what the original vision was, that wild West in space kind of thing. This new Star Trek could be anything, and without the Star Trek label I would probably enjoy it a bit more, as it is, I found the expanse infinitely more enjoyable than this big budget make over that's just trying to catch more views by using the Star Trek name, when it really isn't anything like Star Trek and is flying in the face of what it was supposed to be.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom