Star Trek Discovery Seasons 1-4

I can't see there being a new series until at least another film or two. They will only start milking the TV market when the film revenues start dropping like a stone. I liked the most recent film but I can see a lot didn't, so if the 3rd one fails too then we might see a TV series.

... and apart from Kirk, Spock and McCoy the characterisation is rather thin compared to later series.
TNG's really not much better in characterisation of the supporting characters, especially the women - Dr Crusher is one of the most pointless/useless characters ever, and the few episodes that focussed on her are some of the worst episodes of Trek

TNG's really not much better in characterisation of the supporting characters, especially the women - Dr Crusher is one of the most pointless/useless characters ever, and the few episodes that focussed on her are some of the worst episodes of Trek

I used to think that Deanna Troi was a fully rounded figure though perhaps in a different sense

And what was with Troi's accent? Sirtis is a Londoner but was she copying her parents/grandparents' Greek accents? Majel just stuck with her own as Troi snr.

She was also inconsistent with it, esp with the Enterprise finale which was supposed to have been set during the TNG Enterprise D era on TV.

According to Gates and Marina at the conventions, the writers can be blamed for a lot of how Crusher and Troi were portrayed in TNG especially in the first few years. One of the writers got Gates McFadden fired because she wanted do more. She only came back because the writer left. She didn't like how Wesley was always going to the male roles for guidance when he could also go to her as she was playing his mother after all.

Marina also complained as she wanted to do more than just look pretty for the camera after a couple of years. There was still people around who wanted the women to be like in TOS. Notice how her costumes and hairstyles changed.

You can't really blame Denise Crosby for bailing when she did, although TNG S1 didn't really establish any of the characters well.

Instead of being a hard-as-nails Kara Thrace type character, she just stood at the back looking bored.

They started out rather thin, but by the later seasons the characters became much more rounded, certainly more so than the second bananas in TOS ever were. It took DS9 to introduce a couple of genuinely interesting female characters to the crew. I agree that Dr Crusher was the least interesting character of TNG which wasn't helped that she was played by a rather poor actress. They did even fire her once and I preferred Dr Pulaski, who replaced her for season 2.

They did even fire her once and I preferred Dr Pulaski, who replaced her for season 2.

Quite right Todd, Diana Muldaur stamped her presence on the series she also was in the original Star Trek playing 2 different characters. I also remember her very well form LA Law and he memorable departure from the law firm.

429467d1381568164-star-trek-original.jpg

Attachments

• Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 213
if it gets more sci-fi back on TV I'm all for new Star Trek on the small screen.

If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die #FreeBabylon5

TNG was fantastic! Well, season 3 onwards as far as character development goes. For me it come at the perfect time and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. They became like friends or family and I loved them and have watched and re watched them lots of times over the years. In fact, it is probably what turned my attention to sci-fi as a genre and it is now probably my most favourite genre.

Rumour that CBS want to bring Star Trek back to the small screen, with Bryan Singer as producer. It could possibly be set after Captain Kirk, so a whole bunch of new characters.

Hmm. I'm not sold on them doing any more prequel stuff, but setting it post-Kirk and pre-Picard in the alternate timeline might be an interesting way to go.

Id like to see something past kirk/picard/ds9 and voyager.... we've had a fair amount of new technology since the last trek so I'd really like to see something crazy futuristic...

Not sure what the premise would be though..

We know it's April Fools, but STAR TREK GALAXY is coming to Netflix 2016, from Bryan Singer.

Does seem a short window to get it made though.

Let's see how this news pans out or not

Great news we are getting closer to a new series as producer Alex Kurtzman is reportedly developing a new Star Trek series at CBS for 2017 debut.

Kurtzman, so bittersweet. Even worse if Bob comes on board lol

Hopefully get some good writers in!. Though would of preferred BSG's Moore over-seeing this, but as Kurtzman is part of the new films I can see why they have gone with him.

'Star Trek' TV Series in the Works

New 'Star Trek' TV Series To Launch In 2017 - Update

Last edited:
What was the one that came out this year Star trek renegades, I thought that was a pilot to a new series

The new films are borderline offensive to those of us that have followed the series'. If they set the new series in that timeline I'd be gutted and I'd think it would be a mistake,

The new mainstream borefest films cater to a different audience than those that would watch a sci-fi series every week.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom