Star Trek Discovery Seasons 1-4

promised myself i would wait for a few weeks to watch a few episodes at once.... but after 5 mins gave in and watched it.

new character is very good - i like him :) -

I do hope this series is not all about searching for discovery!!!

promised myself i would wait for a few weeks to watch a few episodes at once.... but after 5 mins gave in and watched it.

new character is very good - i like him :) -

I do hope this series is not all about searching for discovery!!!

I am sure this series of Andromeda...uh I mean Discovery won’t have them searching for the ship for very long then they can get on with their mission of restoring the Commonwealth...uh I mean Federation by helping out those in need by showing them how much better things would be as part of a restored Commonwealth...uh I mean Federation.

Don’t know why I kept getting those mixed up :D

Loved this first episode, like the fact that every season has a different tone and I can kind of see what is coming.

So the first Short Trek introduced a way to recharge Dilithium, this was brought up again in the season 2 two part final, so Discovery has on board tech that can recharge their Dilithium crystals. So even though they are a 1000 behind in tech they maybe one of a handful of ships that can travel at Warp or I guess use the Spore drive. Heck I guess they save the galaxy by bringing that tech to everyone.

I love the fact that we are seeing something totally new in the Trek universe, so far from canon that none of it matters and what essentially is a resurrection story. Can't wait till the next episode.

Didn’t hate it but, why can this show not avoid numbing stupidity that just jars me out of the experience mid-show.

So this is supposed to be 1,000 years in the future, beyond the technical capabilities we see in TOS era. Yet the cutting-edge weapon of choice is a personal hybrid phaser/transporter. Not only is it seemingly impossible to actually shoot straight with this device, you have to wonder why it needs the transporter ‘jaunt’ to run away, your basically safe from being shit by anyone with the same device. But conversely when your quarry runs away, you seem to have the ability to track where the ‘jaunted’ to, and immediately follow them, apart from the fact the quarry is just sitting there waiting for you to appear and shooting you point blank, yet this appears to be the on,y tactic you have and everyone just blindly does it. Apart from of course the device runs out of energy and needs to recharge every 2 shots or ‘jaunt’ bringing it down to the level of an 18th century double-barrelled shotgun, which still is quicker to reload, than this technology.

Unless I missed something they were not
hybrid phaser/transporters, they were two separate pieces of tech as Book grabbed the personal transporter device off the guard he killed and after the second transport said it needed 30 seconds to recharge and as it’s the enemies tech it made sense they would be able to easily track it.

I will give you that beaming in blind was pretty stupid though as they were just asking to be vaporised.

Last edited:
Unless I missed something they were not phaser/transporter hybrids, those were two separate pieces of tech as Book grabbed the personal transporter device of the guard and said it needed 30 seconds to recharge and as it’s the enemies tech it made sense they would be able to easily track it.

Could be, but how was it then ‘jaunting’ both of them whilst running? It’s now a ‘proximity’ transporter, and not a ‘personal transporter’?

Could be, but how was it then ‘jaunting’ both of them whilst running? It’s now a ‘proximity’ transporter, and not a ‘personal transporter’?

Wasn’t he touching her on every transport? but even if they were not this is the far flung future the tech does whatever they need it too do and it’s very easy to come up with an in universe explanation ie he reset the targeting sensors to transport them both upon activation, simple as that don’t assume personal transporter means it can only transport one think of it as an entire transporter room contained in a small personal device.

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised with that, despite the odd eye-roll and technical nitpick. Highly entertaining with some nice character introductions, my favourite being
the Starfleet Administrator

Lets get the issues out of the way first:
  • 'Ships collide in space causing them to crash land on a planet' cliche. To quote Douglas Adams; space is big. Really big.
  • Walking distance to the main city. That was lucky.
  • 'Characters have to have a fight when they first meet and gradually bond despite not liking each other' cliche. I guess thats how drama has to happen even in the far future.
  • Why are the early conversations so terse and frustrating? Two people separated by 900 years would have all the questions in the world, yet all Book keeps saying is "I dont wanna know". I bloody well wanna know!
  • Stormtrooper aim.
  • The technology doesn't look that much more advanced than what we're used to, despite the 'antique' comments.

re. Dilithium:
Is it really as big a deal as they make out? Dilithium is a component, not a power source, used to regulate matter/antimatter reactions. They are basically spark plugs. Zephram Cochrane managed without them. And Romulan ships dont even use anti-matter but Quantum singularities. So I can't believe 32nd century people can't find an alternative resource.

Good stuff:
  • Production values absolutely superb, with some nice sci-fi content especially the holo tech on the Federation station.
  • Book could be an interesting character, now we're past the obligatory 'untrustworthy scoundrel who works alone' style introduction.
  • A fun phaser fight, even if it is just another phaser fight (in a century where tech is far more advanced).
  • Michael gets to loosen up and have fun, including getting herself eaten by a space slug lol. Fun seeing her under the influence of the truth gas.
  • Gorgeous locations.
  • Final scene aboard the Starfleet station; wonderful. Got a tingle when they raised the Federation flag. Hope we see more of Aditya Sahil and other parts of Starfleet. (We also now know there are two other Federation Starships out there!)

Thumbs up 7/10. Already beats the **** out of Picard (for the final point alone).

You made a good point regarding the
dilithium, seems like a plot point that someone came up with but then never bothered to fact check because as you say there are other propulsion and power sources but I am sure that fact will be over looked.

Ahhh.... The series Roddenberry always wanted to make as and with Trek, but the studio said no and so it was presented to the public as Andromeda, with not a Starfleet badge in sight. Now they are.

I immensely enjoyed the first couple of seasons of Andromeda before they went Kevin Sorbo garbage, so I'm looking forward to this but I'm going to wait a few weeks. I think.

Andromeda was another series I enjoyed...mostly for Lexa Doig.

I don't know about anyone else but I just like watching a show without over analyzing everything...its just the first episode and the moaning has started already come on give it a rest, you can quickly tell if a show is rubbish i.e. Picard clearly Discovery is not.

Roll on EP2...:thumbsup:

...its just the first episode and the moaning has started already come on give it a rest, you can quickly tell if a show is rubbish i.e. Picard clearly Discovery is not.

Now that's crazy talk, this is the internet, outrage is the only way.

It was also announced that DISCO has been officially renewed for S4 with filming starting in early November.

Andromeda was another series I enjoyed...mostly for Lexa Doig.

I don't know about anyone else but I just like watching a show without over analyzing everything...its just the first episode and the moaning has started already come on give it a rest, you can quickly tell if a show is rubbish i.e. Picard clearly Discovery is not.

1. Watch show without wanting to over-analyse it - check
2. Go straight to read a forum specifically setup so people can post their thought and analysis of the show - oookkaaay???
3. Criticise other participants for posting their thoughts and analysis of the show - fx:facepalm

Thought most of the comments were pretty positive, with some healthy critique too, as it should be. And I'm afraid Star Trek will be overanalysed, as its a sci-fi franchise that invites analysis.

Hardly moaning.

Now that's crazy talk, this is the internet, outrage is the only way.

What outrage?

Really enjoyed this
I guess I’m in the “not my Star Trek” camp for the previous seasons and also, sadly, Picard.

I used to buy TNG on VHS, it was my show. I loved it and thanks to Netflix I rewatch once a year. The new shows just never sat right with me. Maybe it was the season long story, but it never felt “happy” it never felt “enjoyable”.

But I did enjoy the season 3 opener. And whilst it still retains a lot of things that I didn’t like about Season 1 and 2 it now felt far enough in future to be a proper “reboot” as such. Gives loads of scope to tell stories from the past and nod / callbacks to history

Nice teases of future tech. Removing stuff that would be familiar. Almost making the future “old” by removing things we are used to.

What outrage?

Take it easy fella, just talking about the internet in general. Another forum I post in has been moaning about the amount Burnham cried in this episode and when you point out that she she a single tear towards the end it is then change to well she has a face that looks like it is always about to start crying.

You made a good point regarding the
dilithium, seems like a plot point that someone came up with but then never bothered to fact check because as you say there are other propulsion and power sources but I am sure that fact will be over looked.

They did mention a number of alternative types of propulsion types like Slipstream and a whole bunch that I can't remember. It will be interesting to see what the other alliances outside of the Federation are up to.

Also are they in the Beta Quadrant as that is where Terralysium is as that is where they intended to go to seek refuge after they jumped forward?

• Why are the early conversations so terse and frustrating? Two people separated by 900 years would have all the questions in the world, yet all Book keeps saying is "I dont wanna know". I bloody well wanna know!

This is as an old a troupe in TV as TV itself, when characters all have information but don't share it, in almost all the shows I watch you can see this but in fairness to Burnham you don't really want to start telling people your a time traveller people will likely think you are a loon.

They did mention a number of alternative types of propulsion types like Slipstream and a whole bunch that I can't remember. It will be interesting to see what the other alliances outside of the Federation are up to.

Also are they in the Beta Quadrant as that is where Terralysium is as that is where they intended to go to seek refuge after they jumped forward?

I did like that they name dropped
Quantum Slipstream as we know Voyager brought that tech home and in the books they made it viable and used it too explore the galaxy but the crystals used to power the drive were hard to synthesis so while a much better propulsion system it was likely not widely used.

As for where they are there well there were Andorians, Orions, Telerites and even a Cardassian in that city so going to guess they are in the Alpha Quadrant plus Book mentions about there being a natural wormhole 100 light years away which could be the Bajoran wormhole leading to the Gamma Quadrant.

Will probably turn out that Discovery emerged from the wormhole above Terralysium and will need to use the spore drive to search for Burnham and eventually will jump back into range of that Federation post.

I agree with Klippie Been great to see new Star Trek.
Episode 1 of Season three was a bit slow but had some good scenes in it .

Interesting interview with Kurtzman about the challenges of doing post production all remotely and that they are looking to buying AR walls for future shows and seasons.

If you haven't seen the AR video for Mandalorian, have a look it's true mind boggling how much this is a game changer for the film and TV industry.

One thing I'am doing for this new series is watching all the episodes on my projector after doing the same when I bought series one and two on Blu-ray, not just for the big image but for the sound quality from the surround speaker system...best AV tech I've ever bought.

#2 Far From Home

Better than the opener, they face showdown with a baddie, and Burham had a new look, with long hair, a year on.

Georgiou was very annoying today

You've got a mouth and I've got a gun!

The question everyone is asking, “What is the Burn?”

To quote myself from the episode one review thread I wasn't overly impressed with that episode. I've just watched episode two though and I think it was much better. Georgiou was a tad annoying, but not enough to ruin the episode for me. I actually quite enjoyed it and look forward to the rest of the series now.

I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 so watched them again over the weekend ready for season 3. I really did not like this first episode though. I think for me I was much more invested and interested in some of the supporting characters rather than Burnham, so a whole episode with just her and a newbie didn't engage me. To me Star Trek is also about the crew being on the starship and that was absent in this episode.
I'll stick with it, but I'm not expecting much.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom