Star Trek Discovery (CBS/Netflix) Season 3 - ETA 2020

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
In the past both Bryan Singer (director of X-Men, Valkyrie, producer for House) and Bryan Fuller (writer for Star Trek Voyager, creator of Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me) have both (separately) shown interest in bringing Star Trek back to the small screen.

Both are currently working together on a reboot of The Munsters (now titled Mockingbird Lane) for NBC.

And now AICN is reporting that the two have "discussed the possibility of pooling their resources to take a new corner of Gene Roddenberry’s multiverse to the small screen."

Nothing is likely to happen for the foreseeable future at CBS regarding the series, we have the second JJ Abrams Star Trek film in production, not sure if the movies would hinder development of a separate tv series or not. Anyway it's good to hear these guys are still interested in bringing Trek back on the small screen, it's been away far too long.

We know Battlestar Galactica creator Ron Moore was once keen in creating a new Star Trek series, maybe all three can team up and get it off the ground.

AML

Ron Moore did DS9 so I would happy with him being involved.

The other thing would be the setting.

Are we talking about setting it in the alt universe created by JJ, or the original verse and set after nemesis??

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Ron Moore did DS9 so I would happy with him being involved.

The other thing would be the setting.

Are we talking about setting it in the alt universe created by JJ, or the original verse and set after nemesis??
As I refuse to watch the JJ reboot on point of principle (the universe didn't need a reboot), I would much rather it was set after Nemesis. A series set against a back drop of a Federation/Romulan war would be great. I doubt it will happen though :( If we get any new Trek it will be 'new' Trek and not for those of us who were TNG era viewers.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
As I refuse to watch the JJ reboot on point of principle (the universe didn't need a reboot), I would much rather it was set after Nemesis. A series set against a back drop of a Federation/Romulan war would be great. I doubt it will happen though :( If we get any new Trek it will be 'new' Trek and not for those of us who were TNG era viewers.
I was a TNG era viewer (I grew up watching Picard and co.) and I love the new Trek. Try it, you might like it. It's got 'classic' Spock in it and everything!

Glad to hear that there are people actively looking to keep Trek going on TV, but after the debacle of Enterprise it's got to be a worthwhile venture.

Razor

Ras mate your missing out on an excellent movie, I have lost count how many times I have rewatched Star Trek 2009.

I really do hope they bring Star trek back as it is still my number one scifi show set in space. :)

Hawklord

I think we are about due another space opera whether it be in the Star trek universe or otherwise. I like my Sci-Fi and there doesn't seem to be much Space related programmes made these days. The super hero theme seems to be the core focus for program output at the moment and something different and space orientated would make a refreshing change. I even enjoyed Enterprise, but, I'm sure something superior would't go amiss.

Scotteh

Ron Moore would likely provide a great idea, his reboot of BSG was simply fantastic. I would prefer a new series set in say the 29th Century where they have time ships, thus opening the door for various stories in all sorts of situations, not just space stories. I guess in a similar way to the TNG episode 'The Inner Light' (widely considered one of the best Trek episodes of all) and Time's Arrow which was mainly set in 1800's.

DS9 got good after the Dominion war kicked in, before that it was insanely boring and one of the reasons for the change in direction and the introduction of the Defiant. If it's a Trek show it needs to be set mainly around a starship in my opinion, how they go about it would be interesting to see. However I'm up for anything at this point, it's a shame that there isn't any new Star Trek currently on TV.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Would love to see a new Trek show. It would be interesting what era it is based. Presumably it will be set in the new rebooted universe created in the movies.

It has been a long time since Enterprise finished, but I think it needed to be off the air for several years as the quality was seriously waning. I loved TNG and DS9, Voyager was average and Enterprise was poor.

As RiceRocket said, the Beta quadrant is pretty much unexplored. As the Alpha is Earth/TNG, Gamma was Voyager and Delta was DS9. But as the universe is rebooted it probably wouldn't matter where it was set.

Indiana Jones

They should go fall on dark side and do a series set in the mirror universe, the 2 parter in Enterprise Season 4 was fantastic :smashin:

rodd1000

I loved Enterprise and was sad to see it dumped so early. The story lines were getting really good before they axed it.

I would have thought given the success of the JJ Abrams films it would at some point spawn a spin-off series based on the Kirk and Spock characters using the same timeline as in the latest films, and not something completely new.

AML

I totally agree. It didn't need a reboot, but it does need fresh blood and better writing.

I've been playing a lot of STO and they recently launched the new Enterprie F (which is canon) and I think they should make a show based around that.

There are some good ideas and stories floating around in games like STO and in books and such.

Just pick something, make it fresh, flashy and exciting, and guaranteed people will watch.

ukbootlegs

Glad to hear that there are people actively looking to keep Trek going on TV, but after the debacle of Enterprise it's got to be a worthwhile venture.
I wasn't a fan of Enterprise to begin with but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

Where as Stargate Universe, I gave up during the first series as it was so poor

shodan

Distinguished Member
I fell in love with TNG when it came out and thoroughly enjoyed the following star treks too, including the film. I did think that season 3 onwards of DS9 was some amazing storytelling but the crew of the enterprise D (TNG) are like my own family. Figuratively speaking of course!

I would welcome another series and I promise to love it! I still dig out and re watch TNG from time to time so I keep getting my Star Trek fix....

I suppose it's important to have principles but I'd say it's even more important to keep an open mind. I grew up with TOS and thoroughly enjoyed the JJ Abrams Star Trek. Of the TNG films I only ever thought First Contact was any good.

Indiana Jones

ukbootlegs said:
no i don't think so.

it had a mid season hiatus and i gave up

there was no bloody aliens in a sci fi show!

isn't it canceled now?
You gave up a bit too soon, the very next episode had them encounter aliens and from there it just got better and better.

Yes it was cancelled but lasted another 30 episodes from where you stopped and they are well worth watching.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
'Star Trek: Enterprise' Netflix Campaign

Trek writer Rob Bolivar and VFX artist Doug Drexler have launched their own campaign to get Star Trek: Enterprise back for a fifth season.

"A short while ago, [Enterprise EP] Brannon Braga mentioned that with enough support, it's possible that Netflix could resurrect Enterprise for future seasons or perhaps a movie," Bolivar said. "We took that to heart and started our campaign."

https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekEnterpriseSeason5NetflixCampaign

Sick Boy

so its a just spread the word and watch it on netflix ... wow cool campaign guys ..

anyway .. for some reason i now obsessed with ST lolol
pondering watching the original STs
Im told DS9 and voyager aint up to much ?

DS9 is the best of the newer Trek shows for me. First couple of seasons are standard stand alone episodes, but by S4, the arc was in full swing. Never got into voyager, as I was bored of Trek after 360+ episodes of TNG and DS9

DS9 is showing at the moment on Syfy. On season 3 I think.

Lee

Im told DS9 and voyager aint up to much ?
Not many will agree, for me Voyager was the best of the Star Treks but only just ahead of TNG. DS9 was a bit of a chore to watch at the beginning but got really good as the seasons went on

Currently watching TNG on Syfy, season 4 at the moment.