Star Trek Directors Cut BD & 4K remasters

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by captainarchive, Jul 19, 2019.

1. captainarchive

captainarchive
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,284
    This is fantastic news, if it comes off, Day one purchase for me if it does.

Director’s Edition producer David C. Fein was on hand and announced during the panel that he and his remastering team are officially in discussions with Paramount about FINALLY bringing the Director’s Edition to Blu-ray and 4K in a proper upgraded remaster. More importantly, he was given permission to say this, which I think we can all take as a good sign. Naturally, the room erupted with excitement.

But... the best thing all of you can do, if you want Robert Wise’s finished and preferred version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture to be released on Blu-ray and 4K, is to go on your social media feeds and spread the word. Show your excitement! Tag #StarTrek #TMPDE4K @ParamountMovies.

There are official discussions about bringing Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture – DE to BD & 4K

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. aprout

aprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +603
    Nice. Hope they upgrade the rest of the movies while they're at it.

3. Gazgum

Gazgum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I haven’t knowingly seen the Director’s Edition,does it get any closer to breaking the ‘rule of even numbers’?
    Wrath of Khan (no2 ;)) has been rumoured for 4K for a while now.
    Of course I hope this happens!

4. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,068
    I think it's unfairly judged for the most part. It's a genuine sci-fi story, has some great character moments, and the scene with Kirk being taken to see the new Enterprise my favourite scene from any of the movies, and the soundtrack is exceptional. I think the Directors Cut just tightens the pace and focus of the story and refreshed/finished a lot of the SFX.

5. Gazgum

Gazgum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Yes,that scene,& Jerry Goldsmith’s soundtrack: Almost worth it for these alone!

6. Alien8

Alien8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yes, an unfairly maligned sci-fi with some great moments and epic sense of scale. Whilst the criticisms about its ponderousness are valid, the DE helped tighten it up a bit and the new SFX were welcome. But I do hope that if Wrath of Khan gets the 4K treatment it will also have some new effects work also. Those matte paintings don't hold up well at all, especially in HD.

7. Gazgum

Gazgum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Apparently TWOK has already had the treatment in 2016.It’s been available as a download on itunes and kaleidescape.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,208
    I really do hope this comes to pass but will holding off getting excited about it until it’s confirmed the project is under way.

9. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,001
    I think the original cut of TMP is excellent. It was my first Laserdisc so I've seen it quite a few times over the years. I bought the DE cut on DVD and I'm afraid it didn't work for me. I'd much rather have the original version.

Bri

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. EricTheKing

EricTheKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    All six OG Star Trek films are wonderful imo, the sooner they're all available in 4K the better. An eclectic and idiosyncratic film series that simply could not exist in today's Hollywood.

Great news about TMP. Hopefully any new VFX shots won't be jarring or obviously CGI. tbh, I'd be perfectly happy with just the theatrical release in 4K.

11. movieman1866

movieman1866

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    First watch of TMP for me was on a VHS rental in the early 80s. Disappointed would be an understatement. I was aware of Star Trek prior to watching but probably hadn't seen many episodes and as such was expecting something similar to Star Wars.
    Watched this many times since and I really do appreciate what a stunningly beautiful movie this is. I agree with scrowe that the scene where Kirk is taken to the Enterprise is one of my favourites in all the Star Trek movies.
    I'd have this as my third favourite out of the original 6 movies behind TWOK and The Voyage Home. The V-Ger reveal is very clever as well.

12. EricTheKing

EricTheKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
  13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,208
    The CG shots of the Enterprise and V’ger in the Directors Edition were very well done but obviously having them just upscaled and spliced into HD or UHD would definitely be jarring but there are some very talented people out there and some of the CG replacement work in the TNG HD remastering could fool me into thinking it was a physical model so fingers crossed they give this the go a head and give it all the TLC it deserves.

14. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,437
    Said all this before but when we were kids watching TMP, we thought it was good but nowhere near as much fun as Wrath of Khan.

Suffice it to say that TMP definitely improves with age! Ill be very interested in a DC 4K remaster as I don't think I have seen the DC cut.

15. captainarchive

captainarchive
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,284
    I think TMP is the film closest to the spirit of the original show. High concept delivered in a slightly clumsy way, the DC polishes some of the rougher edges. The other films range from action adventure, to self mockery to the plain stupid. I love them all but TMP stands out and for me has stood the test of time the most.

16. EricTheKing

EricTheKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Film News Roundup: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returns for 40th Anniversary

17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,208
    Vue like putting on limited performances of films during their anniversary so was hoping they might show TMP but so far I haven't seen any evidence of a screening :(

18. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    I own the Director's cut on DVD it's a great film but sometime i feel i have to quote : Harlan Ellison

"We are presented with an alien machine intelligence so vast and omniscient and powerful that it can wipe out entire worlds. It is clever enough to build for itself a ship that makes Arthur C. Clarke's Rama look like a Tinker Toy. Yet it isn't smart enough to wipe the dirt off a probe from Earth so that it knows the name is V******, not VGER. This is the quality of cheat that obtains in television, but cannot be condoned in a forty-four million dollar epic. The script ..... Harlan Ellison's Watching "Essays and Criticism" 1992 ". :D

Am definitely up for a new BD of both versions please because even with all it flaws it's still my favorite Star Trek movie by far.

This is a good read :
    Planet Of The Titans: the Star Trek movie that never was

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019