1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek ‘The Original Series.’

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Garrett, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Good news for those with only R2 machines and fans of the series, it will be coming out one region 2 next year.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    be even better news if they put them all in a box set and sold it for £40.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    You are not going to get all 80 episodes for £40. I expect them to be the normal Star Trek RRP price per season.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,266
    What will the packaging be like though, the Voyager sets look horrible.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    The voyager packaging seen so far is for the R1 not the R2. I expect the packaging for voyager and original series to be similar to TNG and DS9.

However, I hope they sort out the disc holder problem of cracking discs. The new disc holders (from DS9 Season 5) are still not quite good enough.

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,266
    Cracking Discs? what is this mate, I have all 7 Season of DS9 and mine are all in perfect condition?

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    Over at DVDForums there is a big thread about it.

It started in germany but affects the UK as well. The disc holders put too much pressure on the centre of the disc and cracks it.

It also affected season one and five of TNG. Discs that were fine when bought, after a few months in the packaging cracked.

I had brand new season of DS9 one, two an three which alll had cracked discs. Even a replacement season three had a slight crack. From season five they replaced the style of the disc holders.

My worst crack was this one.

http://www.apah20.dsl.pipex.com/ds9/Scan1.jpg

I ended up creating covers for Amaray cases and putting the disc in them.

http://www.apah20.dsl.pipex.com/ds9/ds9covers.htm

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    I haven’t seen any sets for reg1 but this is the design for the single disc.

Attached Files:

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,266
    Cant say I have gone back to my TNG and DS9 seasons after watching them the first time, will go through them all now.

Also, could this fault be why they are selling off the TNG seasons cheap, someone said they were being deleted, could they be re-releasing them all again in new packaging?

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    This is how it started.

I started a thread about the R2 DS9 discs. Someone from Germany used the thread to ask people to check their discs. A couple of people reported back and said they had cracked discs. I said my discs were ok as I have watched the TNG and first two seasons of DS9, with no sign of cracks. I then checked my discs one by one, and found five cracked discs from three of the TNG sets and two discs from the two season of DS9. One disc (the one in the photo) got a lot worse while waiting to be replaced by Play. It literally fell apart and had a big chunk of plastic missing from the disc.

What we didn't know at the time, is the cracks can appear at anytime while the discs are in the packaging. The centre hubs that grab the disc was too tight and force the plastic apart.

The sets now have new disc holders since season five of DS9. As a result, I have skipped from season three straight to season six. I will get the other two when they are £39.99 and have the new disc holders. I have the VHS versions anyway, so I can wait a bit longer.

I got season six and seven of DS9 for xmas. Seven is fine, but then I noticed something strange about disc one of season six. I don't think it is a crack, but the centre has a smear of some kind in the plastic.

I have and many others, have received cracked discs in brand new sets. One person had to get four sets of DS9 season four, before he managed to mix the discs up to get a perfect set and send the others back.

For a few sets, the discs were made by the dreaded Technicolor, the last two sets are now made by other people. However, the fault was not by Technicolor but who designed the disc holders.

TNG sets are supposed to be being deleted so they can be re released each disc seperately (all 48!!). They should be around £12.99 each. This according to Paramount, people can get just the episodes they want. It's another way to get more money from the public.

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,266
    Gone through all my boxsets, have Season 4-7 of TNG and Season 1-7 of DS9, some had what looked like stress marks, not cracks but white marks which I guess after awhile will turn into cracks and 3 or 4 others discs had tiny cracks, nothing major and apart from that they are in good condition.

12. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    What I don't know is how these small cracks be after a while. Most of the cracks I had were really bad, but one or two are small. I don't know if these can get worse when being played in the player.

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,266
    It is worrying, I buy all the sets on release day for just under £60 and for that price I expect to get something that I can watch and go back to watch later, I wouldnt expect them to crack, have Paramount made a statement about them?

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    AFAIK not in this country.

They may have in Germany where the problem was first noticed. The fact that the discs are now made by different people, and the disc holders have changed, seems to me they knew about it.

They should have used the same centre hubs as used in many new digipacks. They are round and a circle that has to pushed in to release the disc. The LOTR EE sets and latest X Files sets have them.

I am going to wait until season four and five of DS9 is £40. I am not going to pay £60 anymore for DS9. That may change for Voyager though, depending on the packaging.

15. Gibbster

Gibbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmmm.

I currently have seasons 2 to 7 of TNG (someone nicked my season 1 :eek: ), and 1-3 of DS9.

I will have to check them all now.