Star Ocean 4

Widge

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The FF7 chatter has stirred up this from memory.

Some vague IGN details:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/817/817908p1.html

Its something I'm keeping an eye on, although platform isn't 100% confirmed. I really quite liked #3 and its always nice to see some RPGs from Japan.

If only there could be a decent follow up to Secret of Mana. Anything I've played since in that series has been dire.

Till the end of time was a good RPG.. so i'm looking forward to seeing what the do for the 4th game, i'm liking that they say they will go back to a more fantasy based game seems like it may be like the first game which is the best in the series if you ask me, really pushed the Snes to the limit and was one of the best looking games for it.

New trailer http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5695_en.html. Looks lovely though not much too see just yet. Always loved Star Oceans blend of space and nature settings and this is to be an epic new trilogy allegedly.

I've always liked the settings and imagery used as well. A decent J-RPG is something that the PS3 lacks at the moment so i'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. :thumbsup:

A decent J-RPG is something that the PS3 lacks at the moment so i'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. :thumbsup:
Definitely mate. Not just one though, as many as the PS1 and PS2 had eventually! Would highly recommend Folklore btw. Not strictly an RPG, but a brilliant adventure with a distinct atmosphere only the Japanese could create.

Nice trailer although typical Square-Enix in not giving away much in details or gamplay etc. one to keep an eye on for sure, along with White knight and FFXIII this could be the start of some good J-RPG's heading the PS3s way. :thumbsup:

I agree about Folklore, although not strictly an RPG it's still a good fun game.

Yea timed exclusive at the most otherwise Microsoft would of made it known it was a full on exclusive. Surprised the amount of funding Microsoft are putting into JRPG's, it has a fairly apt sub-title though : The Last Hope :)

There was a quote on GAF somewhere saying it was still undecided about the PS3. I'd be amazed if doesn't at some point, even the supposed "exclusive" Eternal Sonata is out before too long.

seems like its a 360 game

:(

Yeah but as has been said it will probably just exist as a timed exclusive, the trailer for this is currently downloadable on Live and as usual with SE titles the cutscenes do look excellent. The trailer does say that it is on 360 but does not mention 'exclusivity'.

Only thing is with these games is that it all comes down to the battle systems so really going to have to wait and see just how much appeal the final product has, yeah like I would not just pick it up anyway *rotf*

Aside:
Definately becomming one of the 360's strengths is its catalogue of RPGs and with the liked of this, Infinate Undiscovery, The Last Remnant and other JRPGs due to hit soon it all looks rather good (especially with Fable 2 and Fallout 2 in there as well). Kind of surprised about that as really expected that to be the primary use of my PS3 but that expected format is most definately AWOL :confused:

To be fair there's plenty out and in the pipe-line, just not being translated for whatever reason. Senjou no Valkyuria, Tears to Tiara, Disgae 3, Eternal Sonata, Agarest, Last Remnant, White Knight Story etc.

I really would just like ONE, just one. Folklore doesn't really cut it as an RPG for me, I'd put that more in the 'adventure' category.

Do we have any dates as of yet for the major ones to come? I can see that the ones announced for the 360 are going to be "sometime later rather than sooner" but any word on White Knight Story, or the ***? Or any of the others.

As we all know, RPG's take a lot longer to develop than your average game, couple that with the fact that developers are still getting to grips with the PS3 it isn't that much of a surprise we haven't seen many on the system. Saying that, there are 2 in Japan already which are due stateside later this year, and the 360 didn't have any JRPG's until it it's 2nd year?

They're coming, and I'm sure after FFXIII hits, the floodgates will open.

I really would just like ONE, just one. Folklore doesn't really cut it as an RPG for me, I'd put that more in the 'adventure' category.

Do we have any dates as of yet for the major ones to come? I can see that the ones announced for the 360 are going to be "sometime later rather than sooner" but any word on White Knight Story, or the ***? Or any of the others.

I wouldn’t expect either White Knight Story or FFXIII this year. The only ones likely in 2008 are Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles.

I wouldn’t expect either White Knight Story or FFXIII this year. The only ones likely in 2008 are Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles.
Neither of which are traditional JRPG's :(

I seriously doubt the development time issue these days when several such titles have been released or are coming for the 360 within a comparable timeframe.

Unfortunately I fear it may be a general waryness to produce/translate such products now as I seem to recall discussions about how poorly the one JRPG to make the PS3 (Enchanted Arms) performed in the market, many people had already bought/played this on the 360 so with the small PS3 market at the time it really did not light fires.

However if JRPG is your thing and you have not tried it then Enchanted Arms is actually a very good and retro feeling RPG, I would still list it amongst my top 10 enjoyed games of this generation. Not heard if the PS3 version suffers any major drawbacks over the 360 version but definately worth a look if JRPG is your thing.

We're in trouble if Enchanted Arms is considered decent :) It is still early days for RPG's this gen, but the one's released so far have hardly set the world on fire, Lost Odyssey is the best of the bunch but still nothing amazing, the rest are mediocre at best.

We're in trouble if Enchanted Arms is considered decent :) It is still early days for RPG's this gen, but the one's released so far have hardly set the world on fire, Lost Odyssey is the best of the bunch but still nothing amazing, the rest are mediocre at best.

Well horses for courses as with anything... personally I found Encharted Arms to be a refreshing return to the traditional JRPG genre that played with the nostalgia of the PS era FF's and the visuals we would expect from the modern consoles. Most reviewers marked the game down because of its old fashioned nature but to someone looking to rekindle the glory days of the JRPG rather than the more recent style, ala the rather IMO disappointing FFXII, it was just what the doctor ordered.

Lost Odyssey though you have to be joking, I can only think you are posting to get a rise or something because that was a very good game and certainly the best example of a JRPG since before FF entered the X era (an opinion shared by most of the reviewers not to mention the players comments on here).

Anyway, opinions so we will just have to agree to disagree on what constitutes a good traditional JRPG.

Lost Odyssey though you have to be joking, I can only think you are posting to get a rise or something because that was a very good game and certainly the best example of a JRPG since before FF entered the X era (an opinion shared by most of the reviewers not to mention the players comments on here).

Anyway, opinions so we will just have to agree to disagree on what constitutes a good traditional JRPG.

The problem I had with Lost Odyssey as it progressed was the pacing, by the end of Disc 3 I was ready for the game to end. Then add the painfully long battles on top and the multiple tedious dungeons (Grand Staff dungeons were lame), the game became more of a frustation than anything. Don't get me wrong, the story was pretty good, the 1000 Year Dream's were really well written, the events during Disc 1 & 3 were excellent, and a good cast of characters (apart from Gongora, I didn't like him much), but comparing it to some of the rpg's released on PS2, it falls short.

It's certainly the best RPG on 360, but that's not saying much. As for best example of a JRPG since before the X era of FF. I can't agree with that at all, and quite surprised reviewers would even say that.

To be fair there's plenty out and in the pipe-line, just not being translated for whatever reason. Senjou no Valkyuria, Tears to Tiara, Disgae 3, Eternal Sonata, Agarest, Last Remnant, White Knight Story etc.

Both Last Remnant and Disgaea 3 have been announced for a Western release with the latter out in the US probably in August. I'm pretty sure White Knight Story is also supposed to be released in the West if not at the same time as the Japanese release then later.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom