Star gazing holidays

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Just wondering if anyone here has gone on a holiday/break specifically for night sky viewing?
Where/how much?

Iccz

Are you after a pure stargazing experience or are you looking for other things as well such as weather and relaxation?

One of the best places to go would be Chile or even Australia - both quite far from home, but it may be surprising that another great place would be pretty close to home for you, in Scotland at Galloway Forest Park.

Probably one of the best choices would be Hawaii, if you like your sun and sand as well as the stars :thumbsup:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I really just fancy a couple of nights somewhere where light pollution is as close to zero as possible, and preferably warm so sitting outside for extended periods is nice.
The outback of Oz is a little far/remote, somewhere in the states maybe?

SyStemDeMoN

They do a stargazing trip in Egypt where they take you out in to the desert and have 3 powerful telescopes set up.
It was enjoyable but short and although we had an excellent view of saturn and the moon there was little else they could show us.

A few years ago we went to Biscarrosse and stayed on a municiple camp site on the shore of the the south great lake. I would say we had a better view of the night sky there and wished I had taken my 8inch reflector with us. But even with the naked eye it was a stunning site !

Iccz

I really just fancy a couple of nights somewhere where light pollution is as close to zero as possible, and preferably warm so sitting outside for extended periods is nice.
The outback of Oz is a little far/remote, somewhere in the states maybe?
New Mexico is a good place for it, I know a couple of people who've gone there to rent a cabin away from everything and stargaze, plus there are a few observatories there which allow visitors.

But the best place in the states in the Summer would be to go to The Natural Bridges in Utah as the rangers there do astronomy tours/workshops and I believe it's the darkest national park in America, can read a little more on it here:
Natural Bridges named the world's first international dark-sky park - Natural Bridges National Monument

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

Iccz

Good call on the Canaries, forgot about them, I believe they have light pollution measures in place too :thumbsup:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Good call on the Canaries, forgot about them, I believe they have light pollution measures in place too :thumbsup:
Once you get out and away from the Coastal resorts and head inland, it'll be pretty dark for sure. Lot of clear nights too. Not sure if there are any observatories/tours on Gran Canaria. I might check when i'm next out there.

huntere

I can say for those wishing to go further a field, here in Western Australia (away from Perth) the skies are amazing. Its pretty easy to spot satellites tracking over. When we first moved to our last place out in the bush with no street lights, SWMBO looked and asked what was in the sky - it was the Milky Way as clear as can be.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I can see satellites in greater london so that's no great achievement :p

Don't get much of the milky way though :)

Philly112

Distinguished Member
Just a quick comment. If you go to the Southern Hemisphere you will see totally different stars than you will see here. So depending on how much you want to get into it, you might want to check out some star charts before you go.

Phil

Delvey

Distinguished Member
SyStemDeMoN said:
They do a stargazing trip in Egypt where they take you out in to the desert and have 3 powerful telescopes set up.
It was enjoyable but short and although we had an excellent view of saturn and the moon there was little else they could show us.

A few years ago we went to Biscarrosse and stayed on a municiple camp site on the shore of the the south great lake. I would say we had a better view of the night sky there and wished I had taken my 8inch reflector with us. But even with the naked eye it was a stunning site !
Agree to this
Also Kenya., especially on safari.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom