1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STAR DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by component-man, May 29, 2001.

1. component-man

component-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone received any DVDs from these guys yet? I placed an order with them about two weeks ago. I know they are having supply problems, any updates anyone? :(

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    This from THE DVD FORUMS
    Just to add fuel to this raging inferno...
    Star DVD`s have now been removed from the forums list of sponsors and their adverts have been pulled by me - they have not paid their advertising fee, despite 2 seperate promises of payment. They are the first company in the history of the forums to be "blacklisted". I will be clamping down on all Star threads later today and ensuring that as Star are no longer Sponsors that they cannot continue with their commercial advertising on these forums.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now cancelled my orders with STAR, I am fed-up with waiting!

I will continue with Play247..

4. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No,

placed order 23 days ago and counting. Looks like they will be out of business before long.

Bad Business plan

5. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too am now tired after waiting a month. Despite their supplier/cash flow problems I think the company is on the level and orders will be fulfilled eventually.

But I've had enough now and have just cancelled. Ringo's are offering a price match so I'm re-ordering Spartacus from them. Play will get my business back for Miss Congeniality for a couple of quid more.

I do feel a bit sorry for the problems Star are having as I'd like to support a new company, but enough is enough. If they pull through and prove themselves in future then I may return, but they've got a long way to go right now!!

Ptm

6. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too had enough and cancelled yesterday, although i do hope they can establish themselves in the future. I ordered superman but feared the region 2 may be out in smiths in septeber before i recieved it :D

7. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was sarcastic (me!?) I'd say it serves-you-right for turning your backs on your regular suppliers. But I'm not... am I?

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    This again from www.thedvdforums.co.uk

Hi,
    This is regarding stardvds and owner of stardvds (not steve before anyone asks).

I would appreciate if you will allow me to post the following message, I am sure people who read this forum will acknowledge the message in the appropriate SENSIBLE manor ...

-- start of message ---

To whom it may concern,

As you may or may not know, but www.stardvds.co.uk were using my server for hosting. The site required a large amount of bandwidth for usage which I have paid for out of my own pocket on the promise that I would be paid for hosting in the form of DVDs.

Besides the hosting I have also developed the site www.stardvds.co.uk, which again I was promised to be reemebursed (either by a money/dvd deal or on a pure money as the site developed deal).

Neither of the payments have I recieved. To which point I am telling people of these forums that I will be disabling the site www.stardvds.co.uk on the date 7th June 2001 at 11pm unless an agreement is met between me and stardvds.

It is a shame to have to post a message of this type to the forums but I am sure you understand the reasoning behind this.

I would appreciate if you do NOT post rumours/hearsay regarding this elsewhere, but only the facts at hand. (I know of many places where this sort of thing can quite easily get out of hand).

On another note I must stress that I have nothing to do with stardvds apart from the development and the hosting of the 2 sites.

HxBro
    (Spodnet.net Admin)

-- end of message ---

I would like to hear from a moderator if this post is seen out of context, if there is a problem with the message, please will a moderator PM me to discuss it.

Thanks

9. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    All My Star Orders now cancelled.

10. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh dear, oh dear!

It really does look like the end of the road doesn't it?!?

A big shame for us consumers, but oh well. I've now re-ordered elsewhere and deleted all my account details as much as possible.

I'm a little worried that I can't access my CC details to delete them also. Star have said that CC details aren't stored, but surely there must be a record somewhere? :confused:

11. component-man

component-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just CANCELLED my order with them!!!!!
    There's only so long we can be patient, it really is a waiting game I'm no longer prepared to play. I have now placed my order with another supplier at a price (a higher one!) For the sake of a few pounds more, its worth it considering how long I'd have to continue to wait. :(

12. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks Duncan. Very informative.
    I cancelled few days ago, reodered with Play who have sent 4 of the discs I've been holding out for already. 1 already here, 1 arrives in the morning, 2 on Monday.
    We all live and learn.

Personally, I blame Yorkie for the balls up! :D :D

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would be quite happy to leave my order standing.....it was only £11, but given this new light....they do unfortunately sound to be in trouble. Can they take my money, go down the pan and I will never see it again, or worse what if they take more than they should? I dont know all about how this whole debiting card thing works, so someone help!

Thanks,

Adam

14. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...they have plenty of numbers, so they could take £49.99 from everyone and alot of CC and Debit cards wont be covered ;)

I shouldnt worry too much, least its added a bit of excitment the last few weeks

15. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I think credit cards are covered but debit cards are not.

16. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know anything about it myself, but people at the DVD Forums are saying that since the Distance Selling Act came into force, you don't need to spend more than £50 before the CC companies pay. It covers any amount. Apparently. :)

Plus, the guy who developed and host(ed) the site has posted saying that CC details are only stored with each individual order, and cancelling the order loses all the details.

And General..... I was only delivering the message (in my new 44 tonne truck ;)). Please don't shoot me! :p

Ptm

17. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cc numbers would be held somewhere like secure hosting for each order...so they will have had time to write them all down manually ;)

companies like barclaycard protect fully anyway

18. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    www.192.com can track anybody given just enough info.
    I'm sure it'll only take a few minutes to find any responsible for any financial blunders etc. :)
    But it'll all be ok. Honest John! :rolleyes: